Thread: cant get correct voltage from wideband

Advanced Tuner

cant get correct voltage from wideband

i have been running this setup for logging my wideband for years now.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-s...hp-tuners.html

it has worked perfectly and i have never had any issues with it, until recently when i changed something small. here's the run down.

perviously i had it all set up the same as now except for now i put in a different switch. the switch was so i can either let my pcm see the actual ac voltage or let it read the wideband voltage.

before i had the switch in my engine bay, it was a 3 way on-of-on toggle switch. now i relocated it to the interior of my car for convenience and installed a 3 way on-of-on rocker switch. i didnt want an ugly long throw toggle inside my car which is why i went with a lower profile rocker switch.

for some reason it no longer logs correct voltage. it is possible that the switch is limiting the current flow? i dont understand how it could be. printed on the side embedded in the plastic it says it supports up to 250volts.

im a bit confused.

How many more feet of wire are you using other than on your previous setup?

Resistance does a lot in voltages and such. Honestly tho it shouldnt have been any less than around .4 volts difference.

How much is the difference in your readings?

Advanced Tuner
    its barely getting a reading.. its about the same wire length if not less
    i took the switch out and ran it directly and it work, it electrical taped it up temporarily for now until i can get a different switch, but now its not getting a reading again ...

WTF

Is your wideband going south? Does the gauge read ok?

Advanced Tuner
    wideband and guage reads fine....

i used one of those blue clip on wire taps to tap the wire going to the guage to get the 5v readign that i need to go to the pcm...

im just going to assume that because its a gm that its just gonna start working again in about another 5 starts

[/QUOTE]im just going to assume that because its a gm that its just gonna start working again in about another 5 starts[/QUOTE]

Yeah I feel ya there. Got a few in my yard with ALOT of issues. On the other hand ...I have had probs with those blue splice taps not peircing the wire completely....especially on smaller gauge wire. Id break out the DMM and check the voltages at various spots, Gotta be something minor.

Advanced Tuner
    hmm i had considered the splice tap wasnt working as good as i thought it was

i unfortunately dont have a dmm, i have an anologe multi meter lol i should probably invest in something digital

ONLY reason I've got a digi is because I fix every type of car out there at a local shop. I seem to get all the "Hard" electrical intermittent problems. Therefore I had to invest in a Fluke, AND a stupid ass scope that stays at the repair shop more than I use it!

Anyways the analog should read the voltage anyways, as long as you have a good ground on your neg prob.

Advanced Tuner
    cool thanks for the help, i will update this post as i progress

The "wire tap" is most likely the problem. They are generally junk and will cause the wire to break prematurely. I would solder & heat shrink it and the problem should be gone.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Advanced Tuner
    those wire taps are junk and great source of problems, if you ever used one on a tap that uses a great deal of current you have a perfect setup for a wire fire.
    2000 Firebird,2002 O.S.,LQ4 370,Borg Warner S475,truck mani.,Eagle crank,Callies Compstar Rods,Wiseco-11 4.030 pistons 9.4:1 comp.,LS3CNC heads,LS3 intake,NW92mm throttle body,ID1000 injectors,BTR trunion upgrade,LJMS STG3 cam,LS7 Lifters,ARP Studs-bolts,Frozen Boost A to W intercooler,JGS 60MM BOV,2 40mmJGS Wastegates,4L80E trans wth segment swap,CircleD 3400 single disk,MOSER 12 3.31gears ,BMR K-Mem.,2 Walboro 450 pumps,Returnstyle fuelsystem MAGNAFUEL regulator.
    LS1Tech sig KRAZY K 2000 TA

Quote Originally Posted by Throttle View Post
    those wire taps are junk and great source of problems, if you ever used one on a tap that uses a great deal of current you have a perfect setup for a wire fire.
    Yep! Had this happen on a keyless remote start setup. On a mitsu galant. Damn near burnt factory harness!

Advanced Tuner
    it seems everything works today?

even the switch is functioning properly, i didnt change or re-wire anything at all.

i dont understand

i soldered the wire the other day with no luck but today.... it works... go figure...

thanks for the help guys

Tuner in Training
    I only solder wires now myself! all but eliminates any low volt situations - glad it is all working good now!

Thanks,Matt
    RIP - '98 LS1 Vette!
    E-MAIL - [email protected] Cell 661-406-7516

Bolt on Mods with an A4 and 3:15's:---------322RWHP and 327RWTQ
    TFS Head,Cam,Kooks LT's,Hi-FlowCats,X-Pipe:400RWHP and 400RWTQ
    New Cam Yank 3200 Stall, 3.42's-------------423RWHP and 399RWTQ
    ProCharger P1SC 3.85" Pulley 7.6 PSI Boost:565RWHP and 483RWTQ
    Meth Injection2BAR SDTune(Est720 HP@Crank):591RWHP and 496RWTQ
    Forged 347 3.7" Pulley FlipDrive, 14.4 PSI of B@@ST 701RWHP and 582RWTQ