Thread: Alloytec cold cam phasing

Tuner in Training

Alloytec cold cam phasing

Hi all,
    I have a 2005 alloytec HFV6 (SV6 commodore) and it seems that it won't use the intake cam phasing at all until a minute or so into driving. This occurs even if I past the hot cam tables into the cold, knock and cat temp tables. It is not based on ECT, IAT or Oil Temp as if I stop the car and flash a new calibration it does it again even though the car is still warm. I have am yet to test if it does it when I simple turn the ignition of then on though I suspect it will. Does anybody have any experience with this?

Yes my car is the same, it takes a few minutes before it switches through the various cam tables even if the car is hot and you've just turned it off and back on again.

I have a Narrowband ATF Ratio guage hooked upto a rear o2...... and I can always tell when the car has switched to hot cams..... as it runs lean(either that or it's disabled while the heater lines are on for the o2's - it sits in the one spot) until it's on the warm inlet table.

I would say this might have something to do with Heated O2 Sensors? Perhaps the ECU takes a set amount of time to ensure the exhaust is hot enough ...... pot guess based on my many logs.

Never really looked into it tho. If you turned off the Heater DTC's for the O2's it may fix that.

Tuner in Training
    I have just tried changing the cam warmup factor table to all 1.0 and the catalyst heating factor to all 1.0's and it now runs advance from startup. It doesn't really make a lot of sense though because going by the table axis the ECU uses startup ECT as the starting point for catalyst temp calculations. I will do some more testing.

So I take it your trying to eliminate the lack of power during warm up? I've been trying pick some tuners brains who've tuned the alloytechs on the dyno but unforuantely they wont give up even a few pointers lol

I think tho there is probably power to be had by adjusting cam area's suck as knock etc.
    Last edited by BigDaddyCool; 06-04-2010 at 09:52 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Yeah I have played around with that. I was more concerned with lack of any movement at all from the intake cam. It really doesn't make sense because you would think it would just use the cold and catalyst heating tables. I'm pretty sure with the changes I have made it's not using the knock or cold tables anymore. The axis on the knock table refers to altitude factor (must be barometric pressure?) and I'm not sure it's used as much as i thought initially.

Honestly I have no idea, i've had vcm suite for ages now and i still have alot to learn myself. I don't fully understand the cam setup with the temps, axes and factors so much.

For now i've reverted my tune back to stock, removed all the cot overtemp fueling and atr spark pulling...... so i can smooth out the fueling for now.

Once I have mine fairly level i'm gunna go back to cams. I still haven't fully worked out how the Hot/Cold tables for spark work exactly yet, the car seems to revert back and forth between them as your driving at times.

All I know is others have put the hot tables in all the cold tables for the cams so the power is always the same.

The knock table factor, i've set to zero...... car seemed more powerful, didn't really monitor it to find out what it was doing with regards to knock and cams etc.

I'd like to know how to tune the knock table primarily....... keep it as a safety thing but just tune it a bit so it doesn't cut as much power