Thread: LS4 24 vs 58 tooth Reluctor (crankshaft)

LS4 24 vs 58 tooth Reluctor (crankshaft)

Hello

I have an 06 GXP.

I found a deal on a motor and tranny with only 5K on it that i couldnt pass up. Its pretty much brand new.

However now i find the crank sensors are different. 24 vs 58 tooth.

So i understand there are 2 options.

1) use a converter like Lingenfelter unit

2) change the reluctor wheel.

So a few questions. I have heard a few complaints about the Lingenfelte unit. Can anyone tell me about reliability?

Where is the reluctor wheel on an LS4?

Can it be changed with out a major tear down?

-if not-

Can I swap the crank and install a fresh set of bottom end bearings?

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Mike

Advanced Tuner
    btw check the cam reluctor as well, but there is no reason why you cannot install a new crank with the 58x reluctor?

Quote Originally Posted by LS4 Delta-V View Post
    Hello

I have an 06 GXP.

I found a deal on a motor and tranny with only 5K on it that i couldnt pass up. Its pretty much brand new.

However now i find the crank sensors are different. 24 vs 58 tooth.

So i understand there are 2 options.

1) use a converter like Lingenfelter unit
    2) change the reluctor wheel.

So a few questions. I have heard a few complaints about the Lingenfelte unit. Can anyone tell me about reliability?

Where is the reluctor wheel on an LS4?

Can it be changed with out a major tear down?

-if not-

Can I swap the crank and install a fresh set of bottom end bearings?

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Mike
    MIke,

I can chime in on the Lingenfelter unit. I have an LS2 installed in my C5 and the Vette Doctors installed the converter to accomplish the install. Worked great...until it got hot. But, displaying great customer support and admitting there was an issue with the first design (TRG-001), LPE redesigned the unit and replaced mine at no cost with the updated TRG-002 unit. Was 94 degress yesterday and had no problems what so ever.

It certainly is a cost effective answer to having to crack open a perfectly good motor and replace the wheels. Hope this helps

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by ayousef View Post
    btw check the cam reluctor as well, but there is no reason why you cannot install a new crank with the 58x reluctor?
    Yes im now hearing the cam is different too.

I wish to stay with the 24 as that matches the E40 ECM thats is the car. So I have a motor that i bought with only 5,000 km on it, but its an 2007 with a 58 tooth reluctor.

Im trying to find out if its a major tear down to change these items in an LS4 like it is in other LSx products.

Cheers

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post
    MIke,

I can chime in on the Lingenfelter unit. I have an LS2 installed in my C5 and the Vette Doctors installed the converter to accomplish the install. Worked great...until it got hot. But, displaying great customer support and admitting there was an issue with the first design (TRG-001), LPE redesigned the unit and replaced mine at no cost with the updated TRG-002 unit. Was 94 degress yesterday and had no problems what so ever.

It certainly is a cost effective answer to having to crack open a perfectly good motor and replace the wheels. Hope this helps

Ed M
    Yes it does help Ed, thanks muchly.

Would you know if the reluctor wheel is in the same spot as your LS2?

Cheers

Mike

I am not sure, but this should help. Also remember the CAM timing is converted from 4X to 1X as well.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/sites/li...ons%20v2.5.pdf

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post
    I am not sure, but this should help. Also remember the CAM timing is converted from 4X to 1X as well.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/sites/li...ons%20v2.5.pdf

Ed M
    Hey ED,

Thanks for the info anyways. I just learned the converter doesnt support the LS4 motor. Cam sensor is different.

Looks like its time to split the motor open.

Cheers

Mike

Advanced Tuner
    the Lingenfelter convertor latest version is reported to be 100% AOK by a buddy that sells/installs them. A giant leap forward from the first version that overloaded the ECM 5V powersupply and shut it down. Now has independant power supply.