Thread: How to Change Base Files

How to Change Base Files

Howdy,

I have a '64 Riviera with an PCM out of a 2000 Luimina hooked up to a 98 Regal harness driving an old school 4.1L Buick V6. I've hooked up all the sensors (minus the 2nd knock, the trans controls, and the emissions stuff) and wired in the PCM, the BCM, and the under hood and interior fuse boxes. Since this is a '64 Riviera, how do I get a 98-99 GTP base file to start with onto the PCM and can I program a lot of it without touching the PCM to start with. Things like diabling the emissions, 2nd O2, 2nd knock, and trans stuff as well as changing to a timing table off of an older FWD 3.8L V6 with the same heads, LQ4 MAF, disabling the VATS.

Thanks,
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    Experimental Physicist

Current:
    1964 Riviera (4.1L Buick Turbo6, 4L80E, L67 PCM)
    2012 Hyundai Genesis Sedan (3.8 GDI, 8spd Aisin)
    1998 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 (454, 4L80E)
    SOLD:
    1970 Riviera
    1965 Riviera GS (465 Super Wildcat, SP400) #'s Matching
    1967 Skylark Deluxe
    1997.5 Regal GS

You're going to want to get a BCM from a GrandPrix if you're putting a GrandPrix OS onto the PCM.

You'll need to license the OS on the PCM currently AND the one that you intend to write. Waste of $100 I know, but what can you do.

To actually get the file onto the PCM, you're going to need to rig something up on the appropriate pins on the PCM or buy one of the external PCM writer things that are floating around the forums sometimes. Originally designed to let DHP users write files to PCM's outside the car.

If you take all that emission stuff off the car, you'll have to disable all the associated codes/DTC's that go along with them.

If you're not putting an automatic back in, I'm not sure how that's done but you might want a v6 Fbody PCM/BCM instead.

Quote Originally Posted by oakleafresin View Post
    You're going to want to get a BCM from a GrandPrix if you're putting a GrandPrix OS onto the PCM.

You'll need to license the OS on the PCM currently AND the one that you intend to write. Waste of $100 I know, but what can you do.

To actually get the file onto the PCM, you're going to need to rig something up on the appropriate pins on the PCM or buy one of the external PCM writer things that are floating around the forums sometimes. Originally designed to let DHP users write files to PCM's outside the car.

If you take all that emission stuff off the car, you'll have to disable all the associated codes/DTC's that go along with them.

If you're not putting an automatic back in, I'm not sure how that's done but you might want a v6 Fbody PCM/BCM instead.
    I have a BCM out of a Grand Prix SE so that might cause a problem since I want the computer to think it's a GTP.

I guess I was looking to edit a basic file then merge it with the specific one for the car but it sounds like I'll need to pull the tune off, change to a new compatable OSID GTP tune then disable all the stuff I don't need (mode 3, no reporting I believe).

Trans is a SP400 Hydromechanical trans, nothing going on electronic to the trans other than a Painless VSS output to the ECM and a Casper's Electronics custom box for TPS based kickdown and switch pitch control. i don't want an F-body base tune since it's only a 1-Bar MAP, If you could merge the L67 2-bar MAP with the L36 RWD 4L60E control I'd be highly interested.

Thanks,
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    Experimental Physicist

Current:
    SOLD:
    1970 Riviera
    1967 Skylark Deluxe
    1997.5 Regal GS

Well I got lucky today at the Pull-A-Part. Found a '98 Regal GS with the PCM and BCM still in place. Pulled them out and now I have a matching L67 PCM/BCM combo to start with.
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    Experimental Physicist

Current:
    SOLD:
    1970 Riviera
    1967 Skylark Deluxe
    1997.5 Regal GS