Thread: Wiring AFX for portability

Advanced Tuner

Wiring AFX for portability

Just like the title says. It seems everyone loves this wideband, and to tell the truth, I'm getting sick of the difficulties with my LC-1. What I would like to know is how is everyone wiring this for portability? Is everyone adding a decent quality cigarette lighter and just plugging it in? Thanks for any info. Just waiting for the right answer before I order.

Tim
    GM World Class Technician
    ASE Master Auto Technician
    L1 Certification
    2001 Silverado 6.0L Swap

I wire to a solid ground and a +12 source under the hood. Screw the cigarrette lighter. The wiring has enough slack to hook it up under the hood.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Tuner in Training
    I wired directly to the battery. That cable runs along the hood to the cowl then into the door by the hinge and into the passenger side compartment. The other cable I run from under the car ziptied to my subframes then up and in through the corner of the door. The circuit is only complete when I plug in the AF gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by 00000D0101 View Post
    I wired directly to the battery. That cable runs along the hood to the cowl then into the door by the hinge and into the passenger side compartment. The other cable I run from under the car ziptied to my subframes then up and in through the corner of the door. The circuit is only complete when I plug in the AF gauge.
    This is pretty much exactly how I do it.

Exactly how I have mine setup. I put some bullet connectors on the analog 0-5v output and ground and made a pigtail to run to my HPT cable so it's easier to disconnect without pulling the wires out of the little green plug everytime. For the power and ground I put some large alegator clips on the end of it to clamp onto battery terminals.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    Exactly how I have mine setup. I put some bullet connectors on the analog 0-5v output and ground and made a pigtail to run to my HPT cable so it's easier to disconnect without pulling the wires out of the little green plug everytime. For the power and ground I put some large alegator clips on the end of it to clamp onto battery terminals.
    You do know that green plug will come out of the interface, right?

Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    You do know that green plug will come out of the interface, right?
    Haha yeah but I have two pigtails hooked into the green plug so I can also use my dual channel wideband in my camaro that stays permanently.
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Advanced Tuner
    do the alligator clips give consistent enough power and ground ? if they do that would be great for portability
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

Yes they do for my setup. The analog output isn't noisy at all or give abrupt changes unless it's the engine causing them. It's worked out really well for me. Every once in a while I'll get a corroded battery post or something that I'll have to clean but it's part of the job I guess.
    ShorTuning

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    Yes they do for my setup. The analog output isn't noisy at all or give abrupt changes unless it's the engine causing them. It's worked out really well for me. Every once in a while I'll get a corroded battery post or something that I'll have to clean but it's part of the job I guess.
    Do you have a pic of the clips used?
    GM World Class Technician
    ASE Master Auto Technician
    L1 Certification
    2001 Silverado 6.0L Swap

I personally use a regulated DC power supply (13.8 Vdc) and have found that the AFX is much more stable that way. Less offset issues overall.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune View Post
    I personally use a regulated DC power supply (13.8 Vdc) and have found that the AFX is much more stable that way. Less offset issues overall.
    Hey Doug!

Do you mean 12VDC>120VAC>13.8VDC ?
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune View Post
    I've been considering building a buck-boost regulator to power my wideband reliably from a cig outlet... but just can't seem to get off my butt.

Quote Originally Posted by bullygoat View Post
    Do you have a pic of the clips used?
    No I don't currently have any pic's of the setup but it's just a basic medium sized allegator clips for the power and ground and just your standard bullet connectors for the analog outputs. If I think about it I'll snap a couple iphone pics of the cabling for you to see.
    ShorTuning