Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LY6/L92 into my firebird with m12 t56 e38 ecu. VSS Output problems

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by liveaxlels1 View Post
    1994 Firebird. Tacho works perfectly using a pull-up resistor.
    Might be worth checking around to see if it does have a 4kppm speedo. Could have been a PWM speedo then.

Tuner in Training
    I think it's 4k ppm. I'm going to check with support to see if there are features that can be merged into my tune file (like ppm output adjustment). I just have to find the correct hpt file to compare to (I believe a c6 z06 should have what I need, as far as PPM output)

Tuner in Training
    ok, I've figured a few things out:

Looking at the electrical diagram, the speed sensor output is 128kppm and is the VSS output to the ABS system on the Silverado. Is there any way to adjust this? Or any feature that can be enabled to change this? Also, could there be an auxiliary speed sensor output on the e38 ECM that anyone knows about? The speedometer is the last leg of this adventure... after this speedometer is calibrated correctly, the project is done

Advanced Tuner
    ok, I've figured a few things out:

Looking at the electrical diagram, the speed sensor output is 128kppm and is the VSS output to the ABS system on the Silverado. Is there any way to adjust this? Or any feature that can be enabled to change this? Also, could there be an auxiliary speed sensor output on the e38 ECM that anyone knows about? The speedometer is the last leg of this adventure... after this speedometer is calibrated correctly, the project is done
    Gotta love the difference between car and truck execution.

The 128kppm wheels speed parameter is most likely in there as it was in LS1 PCM's, but is simply not exposed thru HPT in autos. Have never seen anything but speedo on the speedo pin, but then again the truck using it as the ABS speed source is a new one. Always something new with GM . Clearly their car platform and truck platform guys dont talk and they end up with two different directions instead of one.

You can copy parameters over from a C6 but the segments cant be merged.
    Last edited by LSX378; 10-22-2009 at 07:38 PM.

Tuner in Training
    the LS7 e38 has provisions for changes to VSS output PPM. Download the tune file for a 2007 or 2009 c6 z06 (has the e38 ecu) and see for yourself, you can change the vss output signal PPM....

that's what I need on mine to get my speedo to work.

Advanced Tuner
    the LS7 e38 has provisions for changes to VSS output PPM. Download the tune file for a 2007 or 2009 c6 z06 (has the e38 ecu) and see for yourself, you can change the vss output signal PPM....

that's what I need on mine to get my speedo to work.
    Yes as I said the M6's tunes do have ppm para shown. You could load in an LS7 OS sure, extra credits normally required.

Tuner in Training
    only one problem though... my motor has VVT....

I'd need the adjustability while still retaining VVT.... a LS7 OS wouldn't accomplish that. The LY6 e38 must have the ability to adjust that one feature... it has to! haha... any ideas on how I might be able to add it? I e-mailed support about it.

Advanced Tuner
    only one problem though... my motor has VVT....

I'd need the adjustability while still retaining VVT.... a LS7 OS wouldn't accomplish that. The LY6 e38 must have the ability to adjust that one feature... it has to! haha... any ideas on how I might be able to add it? I e-mailed support about it.
    Well if you can find a VVT M6 OS, or HPT can work some magic for you . Or maybe a MAST M-90.

Tuner in Training
    I'll have to find a matching OS version to mine with the segment that I need, that's the issue. The response from HPTuners was "incompatible OS versions" which at least was helpful in letting me know that despite being an identical ECU, the e38 varies in hardware Operating Systems (I'm guessing they're stored in flashable ROM or something)...

MAST setups are needlessly expensive. Really all it will take is a lot of research and fact finding. There is a way to do this, I'm confident of that, but it's going to be a lot of work.

Add another VVT manual trans swapper in need of support. I'm less concerned about speedo function so long as I can tune the engine and VVT tables effectively without any trans input.

This is possible is it not? Basically turn the e38 into an ECM only is my goal.

Advanced Tuner
    Running the E38 as a stand alone ECM is common. Getting the right operating system for VVT that will run a manual transmission and the VVT is the challenging area.

Running VVT with an auto is easier as everything is more predictable and misfire detection easier to keep under control.

Getting the right operating system for VVT that will run a manual transmission and the VVT is the challenging area.
    Yeah this is the big question isnt it? To be honest if i hadnt already ordered my cam I'd probably bail on the VVT for now as it does seem to be a major hurdle considering my build plans. Im already running an LS1/t56 swap in an older Camaro so everything besides the harness and the L92 is already in and working fine. I have to have a manual theres no way I will swap this car over to an auto.

I just hope that the VVT function performs okay and Im able to tune the engine parameters safely and effectively for max power and driveability. I almost bailed on the e38 and opted for a stand alone but figured I'll try this route first and see how it goes as I have all the parts to do it.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    Yeah this is the big question isnt it? To be honest if i hadnt already ordered my cam I'd probably bail on the VVT for now as it does seem to be a major hurdle considering my build plans. Im already running an LS1/t56 swap in an older Camaro so everything besides the harness and the L92 is already in and working fine. I have to have a manual theres no way I will swap this car over to an auto.

I just hope that the VVT function performs okay and Im able to tune the engine parameters safely and effectively for max power and driveability. I almost bailed on the e38 and opted for a stand alone but figured I'll try this route first and see how it goes as I have all the parts to do it.
    Yeah it will be great if you can achieve VVT on the manual. There is a chance the auto tune will run with a manual trans: some do but suffer to odd limitation. Maybe these can be overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by LSX378 View Post
    Yeah it will be great if you can achieve VVT on the manual. There is a chance the auto tune will run with a manual trans: some do but suffer to odd limitation. Maybe these can be overcome.
    Lets hope the suffering is short lived and not some terminally flawed "odd limitation"

I'll be posting like crazy probably when i get to it. Still working on mechanical now I'll be a few weeks before I start into the tune but the OP here has given me hope seeing as his swap runs and drives well

I looked at your tune and was wondering where it came from. It has all the automatic tranny stuff removed where every other VVT has it in place.

Tuner in Training
    all of the auto tranny stuff is gone because I have no trans computer hooked up (I'm M6). I'm going to TRY manual scaling transmission tables down a bunch of times in hopes that it will help remedy the issue, but I'm not holding my breath. It seems that for every single ECU BUT this one, you can change VSS output signal in some way, shape or form... which is really quite odd.

oh: and the GM software update didn't fix anything.

all of the auto tranny stuff is gone because I have no trans computer hooked up (I'm M6). I'm going to TRY manual scaling transmission tables down a bunch of times in hopes that it will help remedy the issue, but I'm not holding my breath. It seems that for every single ECU BUT this one, you can change VSS output signal in some way, shape or form... which is really quite odd.

oh: and the GM software update didn't fix anything.
    One would HOPE *ahem hpstaffareyoulistening* that the next full release would have better features to address the tuning needs of the newer PCM's such as the e38 in particular. These swaps are getting much more common nowadays and we need the instruments to make beautiful music

Senior Tuner
    John at Speartech explained to me that those who are planning on doing a Gen4 pcm swap into a Gen3 vehicle, that more than likely one would have to keep the stock Gen3 pcm in order to get the speedo and coolant temp gauges to function when swapping over (the Gen3 system carries those over a Class 2 data stream).

Futhermore, if you're using a pcm out of an '04 GTO that's a Gen3 pcm, not a Gen4 E38. So you need to be in the Gen3 forums, not here in the Gen4.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Quote Originally Posted by RWTD View Post
    John at Speartech explained to me that those who are planning on doing a Gen4 pcm swap into a Gen3 vehicle, that more than likely one would have to keep the stock Gen3 pcm in order to get the speedo and coolant temp gauges to function when swapping over (the Gen3 system carries those over a Class 2 data stream).

Futhermore, if you're using a pcm out of an '04 GTO that's a Gen3 pcm, not a Gen4 E38. So you need to be in the Gen3 forums, not here in the Gen4.
    LOL We've come full circle! This sounds like the type of workarounds we had to do in the 80's when swapping TPI systems into other cars ( Why the hell we ever thought swapping TPI was cool I'll never know )

Fortunately for me I have Autometer digital gauges so these issues are moot in my case. Hopefully the beta works good for my VVT tuning though Im just waiting on my new HPpro now

Did you ever get the speedo to read correctly in HPTuners? I have a simlar problem. I just swapped a LY6 into my '76 GMC truck. I am running the Th350 tranny with a Dakota Digital VSS. I wired the VSS to the VSS High and grounded the other wire. I only get 158mph on the speedometer input on HPTuners. I got the same thing before I hooked up the VSS. I have no idea if the computer actually thinks I am moving but I really want to fix it so it does not think I am going 158mph.