Thread: Finally got some tuning satisfaction.

Advanced Tuner

Finally got some tuning satisfaction.

It's mid 80's here today and the humidity is around 25%.

First pull was 475.2 rwhp and 460.7 rwtq. The AFR was going pretty rich the higher in the RPMs that I went. I saw a couple of 10.9s. Timing was pretty low too because the intake air temps were around 130 degrees. No spark knock through the whole pull though. I made some changes to the MAF table and loaded the new tune.

Second pull was 491.4 rwhp and 484.28 rwtq. The AFR was much better this time. It was a pretty consistent 11.4-11.6. The timing was still low. Still no spark knock. I upped the main spark tables 1 degree in the WOT range and loaded the new tune.

Third pull was 494.6 rwhp and 488.52 rwtq. The 1 degree helped a little but the Intake Air Temp timing table was pulling a bunch of timing because of heat soak. I was seeing 11 and 12 degrees. Still no spark knock. I went into that table and reduced the amount of timing pulled by 1 degree and loaded the new tune.

Forth pull was 511.0 rwhp and 505.1 rwtq. For this pull I let the car cool down for about 20 minutes since the first three pulls were pretty much back to back. All in all I was happy with the last numbers. I left the tune alone since, I think it's a relatively safe tune and it didn't show any knock.

I'm happy with these numbers because I'm running a 3.7" pulley and I'm only at 6.5lbs of boost. I'll probably go down to a 3.5" pulley and "should" put me close to 8lbs of boost. I'll make that change and leave it there.

I feel good about this because I was able to make changes to my tune and see positive results.
    2016 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L

Tuner in Training
    Great Going Brandon, sounds like you're really getting the hang of it!
    Eric Singer
    -------------
    2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT SBM Sport & Premium w/ Sunroof & Bluetooth - My Tune (HP Tuners), Rotofab CAI, HSRK, Corsa CB (on it's way Kooks 1 7/8" LTH, Kooks Corsa catted connector)
    1987 VW Scirocco 16V - Stock
    1985 Buick Grand National - Modified

Always nice to see our hours of reading, trying and failures grow into smile generating results....... great job

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

DAMN! Brandon, nice job! You picked up an enormous amount with the small amounts of tweaking here and there! Do you have a HSRK? Worked wonders for my IAT's. Also, did you leave the KR sensors at their stock level or did you desensitize them a bit?

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks Mario. I don't have a HSRK. It got taken off when the blower was installed. I want the computer to know what the IAT's are. Currently I have the KR sensors at the factory levels. I'm really trying to creep up on this tune and stay on the safe side.

Quote Originally Posted by 99LS1SS View Post
    Thanks Mario. I don't have a HSRK. It got taken off when the blower was installed. I want the computer to know what the IAT's are. Currently I have the KR sensors at the factory levels. I'm really trying to creep up on this tune and stay on the safe side.
    As long as the the AFR is right where you want it, try to gradually increase timing and keep checking for KR. When you start seeing KR, take a degree away and your good! What kind of gas you got over there? 91 or 93?

Advanced Tuner
    93 octane.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
    As long as the the AFR is right where you want it, try to gradually increase timing and keep checking for KR. When you start seeing KR, take a degree away and your good! What kind of gas you got over there? 91 or 93?
    I wouldn't say that. Learn how to read spark plugs and what is good for a blown setup. Adjust your AFR and timing that way. Use the wideband and logs as a reference, but let the plugs tell you what the engine wants.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
    I don't see the need in that when he is using the dyno.
    Nice results

Advanced Tuner
    ^---i agree!

If he's has access to a dyno that easily, then definitely. Brandon, do you have the wideband pro interface with your hptuners?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JonCR96Z View Post
    I wouldn't say that. Learn how to read spark plugs and what is good for a blown setup. Adjust your AFR and timing that way. Use the wideband and logs as a reference, but let the plugs tell you what the engine wants.
    Please elaborate. I don't know this technique.

Advanced Tuner
    I have a LC1 wideband and the HP Tuners Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by 99LS1SS View Post
    Please elaborate. I don't know this technique.
    It involves wasting a few spark plugs. Google 'reading spark plugs' there is plenty of info out there. Once you get some basic knowledge take a look at yours and then start search more in depth towards blown applications.