Thread: Actual spark advance

Tuner in Training

Actual spark advance

Hey there. I've had my VCM Suite for a LONG time but I'm just starting to mess with it. Logging tells me my max spark is 24 degrees. I'd like to turn it up to 27. How do I do this? I'm sorry if it sounds like a completely boneheaded question. Thanks!

Owen

Quote Originally Posted by Wyttrash99 View Post
    Hey there. I've had my VCM Suite for a LONG time but I'm just starting to mess with it. Logging tells me my max spark is 24 degrees. I'd like to turn it up to 27. How do I do this? I'm sorry if it sounds like a completely boneheaded question. Thanks!

Owen
    When do say 24 degrees, is that at WOT?
    Are you seeing any Knock Retard? if no knock, take a look at your Spark Control>Main Spark Advance>High Octane table. Look at the AirMass and RPM on your log and find the corresponding cells in that table. Adjust to 27. You may wany to smooth cells around this. I usally copy the high octane to low octane table and reduce bt 4 degrees.
    2000 Red TA WS6 M6 in England, UK
    Patriot Stg.II Heads & 226/226-112 0.585/0.585 Cam. Corsa Cat back, F.A.S.T LSX Intake / F.A.S.T Fuel rails, Dynatech LT's/Y, Wisper Lid, ported MAF, 52lb/hr. 160 stat. !AIR, !EGR. Walbro 255, SPEC Stage II.
    HPTuners 1BAR SD Tune. Wide Band AFR.
    389RWHP/380RWTQ ([477HP/460TQ]Flywheel) Dyno Dynamics

Photos at:- http://www.solent-renegades.co.uk/ca...00trans-am.asp

Tuner in Training
    Ah ok, I didn't look at that table. Yep, pretty green with this stuff. TPS was at 100% for about 30 seconds (this is basically a stock 5.3 in a 99 Sierra) with no KR whatsoever, so I'm thinking 27 degrees at WOT should be fine. Maybe even 29 or 30 with 91 octane gas. Thanks though, I'll be looking into this a lot more now.

Advanced Tuner
    using 91 octane on a low compression engine is not cost effective.you need more timing to get complete combustion because it burns slower.if you dont add timing you'll lose power.you pay more and get nothing back.