Thread: I want a tutorial on Ford tuning

I want a tutorial on Ford tuning

Since there are so many releases on GMs front, why doesn't anyone release something for HPTuners on Fords?? We have plenty of Fords where I'm at but only one true custom tuner of 'em... I've played with 4 Fords to date, and bolt ons are a breeze to tune.. But anything more is a nightmare!!

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Telephone: +965-55446651
    Email: [email protected]
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Trailblazin' View Post
    Since there are so many releases on GMs front, why doesn't anyone release something for HPTuners on Fords?? We have plenty of Fords where I'm at but only one true custom tuner of 'em... I've played with 4 Fords to date, and bolt ons are a breeze to tune.. But anything more is a nightmare!!
    When HP Tuners adds in the missing stuff, more Ford tuners will use it and you may see more information posted on it.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

what exactly is the missing stuff?? When it comes down to it, basics of tuning are fueling, spark and drivability... there seems to be the most of that.. I "de-tuned" a stang the other day, they removed the supercharger but kept the injectors, cam and 5.0 liter stroker on and managed to dial the MAF transfer in smoothly...

got my head around the same idea as setting PE then adjusting MAF to suit, although there is no AFR% error histogram...... idle airflow values, spark and the motor doesn't stall anymore.. the more i use HPT's on Fords the more I understand it, but would like more!

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Telephone: +965-55446651
    Email: [email protected]
    Instagram

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailblazin' View Post
    what exactly is the missing stuff?? When it comes down to it, basics of tuning are fueling, spark and drivability... there seems to be the most of that.. I "de-tuned" a stang the other day, they removed the supercharger but kept the injectors, cam and 5.0 liter stroker on and managed to dial the MAF transfer in smoothly...

got my head around the same idea as setting PE then adjusting MAF to suit, although there is no AFR% error histogram...... idle airflow values, spark and the motor doesn't stall anymore.. the more i use HPT's on Fords the more I understand it, but would like more!
    From my understanding the things James wants added that are necessary are:
    1. Stoich AFR
    2. FPVT (fuel pump voltage table) Axis (X & Y) limitation correction, some of the axis only goes to 4 units but is supposed to go to 8 I believe?
    3. Breakpoint Multiplier vs. Pressure injector table
    4. Spark Correction Lamba Spark for Base MBT

I'm still trying to get in contact with him to find out what order of importance he would put on these so we can prioritize them correctly.

Also according to one of our other customers the Max scheduled tq table

We have all of these on our to do list as we need to try and find these tables.
    Last edited by Bill@HPTuners; 09-07-2009 at 10:36 PM.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    From my understanding the things James wants added are:
    1. Stoich AFR
    2. FPVT (fuel pump voltage table) Axis (X & Y) limitation correction, some of the axis only goes to 4 units but is supposed to go to 8 I believe?

I'm still trying to get in contact with him to find out what order of importance he would put on these so we can prioritize them correctly.

Give me unlimited GM credits and I'll gladly provide you with the addresses

Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Advanced Tuner
    1. Stoich AFR

I would like to see:

Ford speed density
    Ford A6 support
    More PIDS for idle tuning
    Last edited by Bill@HPTuners; 09-07-2009 at 10:36 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I've updated my post.

In regards to your requests Grant I doubt we'll seriously look into adding SD tables for fords anytime soon.

A6 support is something we are looking into but is still a ways off think 2010 & beyond off.

No idea about the idle pid's again a ways off if anything.

2nd this

1. Stoich AFR Setting

4. Spark Correction Lambda Spark for Base MBT

5. Fuel Base vs. RPM vs. TPS%. The TPS axis Xref. I think it is just the Cell # that is messed up. (Change the Cell # value by 1, Then try to go back, The look at the TPS value in the table)

Advanced Tuner
    I've updated my post.

In regards to your requests Grant I doubt we'll seriously look into adding SD tables for fords anytime soon.

A6 support is something we are looking into but is still a ways off think 2010 & beyond off.

No idea about the idle pid's again a ways off if anything.
    No worries

I think I can get by with the existing SD support anyhow - just takes a while to get your head around its predictive MAP model

I now believe pseudo-MAP based fuel trimming is there

Senior Tuner
    1. Stoich AFR

Bill, definitely on the Max Scheduled Torque table, since that's important for proper ETC control.

Now, as for importance of those above, honestly all of them are just as important, but if I absolutely had to list them in a specific order, then you have it perfectly, save for potentially swapping #1 and #2 around.

I can't stress how important #2 above is for forced induction vehicles, since it's maxed out so quickly/easily on anything really above 350 rwhp Actual. That particular table will totally prevent you from getting the ERFS (electronic returnless fuel system) dialed in properly, which is EXTREMELY important in order to control fuel pressure, thus overall fueling. Sure, one can scale 4 known parameters to get more fuel flow room, but this is not ideal. Regardless, the MAP limitation is still the main issue.

Of couse, for aftermarket injectors, missing #3 will cause erratic fuel delivery.

#4 is not as important, as one can just raise the MBT table for now to get around that issue (but it's still not ideal).
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

What about the Base Rate for Upshift for each gear in the automatic transmission? I believe this changes the shift firmness.

Im with Eric!

I think you guys should take Eric brooks up on his offer. He is the man and the expense of the credits will be far out weighted by his priceless knowledge. Get some experts involved. Updates to the scanner are critical. Need to be able to detect knock and record more pids. Just my thoughts.
    Paul
    Modern Muscle Motorsports
    www.modernmusclemotorsports.com
    Custom tuning using Diablosport, SCT, HP Tuners, Tuner Cat, FAST & Holley
    Dynojet 224x mobile dyno

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Modern Muscle View Post
    I think you guys should take Eric brooks up on his offer. He is the man and the expense of the credits will be far out weighted by his priceless knowledge. Get some experts involved. Updates to the scanner are critical. Need to be able to detect knock and record more pids. Just my thoughts.
    From what I was told by our head engineer we already have the information so thats not the issue, the issue is finding the man hours to spend on each strategy.

Eric thanks for the offer but we should be good.