Thread: Just picked up HPTuners Pro, where to start with logging?

Advanced Tuner

Just picked up HPTuners Pro, where to start with logging?

Hey everyone.

Been reading the forums for the past couple weeks,

My car is a 2006 Corvette
    Headers Kooks 1-3/4
    Z06 axle over
    Ported 92 Fast
    Vortech Si Trim w/ 60# injectors
    Made 544whp and 514wtq in 100 degree shop
    its got tuned by good tuner

Here is what im looking to do
    Fine Tune the VE via the EQ <> VE
    Fine Tune the MAF
    Tune for KR

Ive downloaded all the cfg and hst on the sticky, but which ones do i use to log for these items? i have an AEM UEGO permently installed and would like to use AFR Error % to dial in the LTFT's for VE and MAF.

appreciate all your help

SUBSCRIBED!

-Carl
    Last edited by carlrx7; 08-25-2009 at 06:57 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Question of the thread: "its got tuned by good tuner" = what? Meaning, was the MAF tuned already, or was the PE raped? Did he rape the IFR table, or did he input ALL the proper calibration data for those 60# injectors?
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Advanced Tuner
    Tuner has been tuning ls motors for almost 10 years, over 1000 tunes, and even owns the same car and setup i have, plus about 200 hp!

PE table looks alot flater than the stock one,, it looks to have two stages. ive got greg's book, are the correct ifr value's in there for me to compare to?

the car was tuned via maf.. i maxxed out the maff over 12200 hz around 6k rpms, 6.5 redline and thats where i assume the second increase in PE came from.

now back to the logging question? can anyone help me out there?
    Last edited by carlrx7; 08-25-2009 at 06:56 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by carlrx7 View Post
    Hey everyone.

Been reading the forums for the past couple weeks,

My car is a 2006 Corvette
    Headers Kooks 1-3/4
    Z06 axle over
    Ported 92 Fast
    Vortech Si Trim w/ 60# injectors
    Made 544whp and 514wtq in 100 degree shop
    its got tuned by good tuner

Here is what im looking to do
    Fine Tune the VE via the EQ <> VE
    Fine Tune the MAF
    Tune for KR

Ive downloaded all the cfg and hst on the sticky, but which ones do i use to log for these items? i have an AEM UEGO permently installed and would like to use AFR Error % to dial in the LTFT's for VE and MAF.

appreciate all your help

SUBSCRIBED!

-Carl
    Since you have a wideband, you dont want anything to do with ltft. you want to log actual afr, afr error. You want to set up histograms for maf low-afr error, maf high-afr error and ve-afr error. Read this guide. http://www.thetuningdoctor.com/HPTun...uningGuide.doc
    Last edited by ct06gto; 08-25-2009 at 07:55 PM.

Senior Tuner
    I'd trust his fueltrims for tuning CL (Closed Loop) on that particular vehicle more than I would his budget wideband, especially in regards to letting the scanner give you an "etchy" MAF transfer. Nothing beats a human touch.
    Last edited by RWTD; 08-25-2009 at 08:01 PM.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Senior Tuner
    carlrx7, post up your tune so we can help you then.

And, no, Greg's book does not contain the injector data. Only his training DVD does.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by RWTD View Post
    I'd trust his fueltrims for tuning CL (Closed Loop) on that particular vehicle more than I would his budget wideband, especially in regards to letting the scanner give you an "etchy" MAF transfer. Nothing beats a human touch.
    Really, do you recommend closed loop maf tuning using ltft for idle and cruise over a budget wideband? So you better tune your ve table first then? Am i understanding you right or am i in left field?

Advanced Tuner
    well, i just looked at the PE table again, its might be straight, but the commanded A/F thats its requesting is WAYYY off from actual.. were talkin low 9's aka 1.6's and im getting 11.0''s.

so now im gonna fix that, then add like 30% to the MAF, i hope that wont max it out via g/sec. if that happens, then what? ive already added about 10 percent from 2khz to 5khz, and at least the HZ are in the negitive now. using the LTFT's right now.

p.s. i really dont want to just post up the tune, since everytime ive seen someone do it, it just gets ripped apart, im gonna work on it for a while and make it my own. i think i got the logging thing down, the logger fills up wayyyyy quick, less than 20 mins,, im just gonna put the minimun in the box, , ltft, maf hz, map, rpm, and maybe knock, ive been pulling it by .5 degree every time i get knock over 5 hits, but gonna stop and wait till the fueling gets in line. only runing 10 degrees up top.

-Carl

Senior Tuner
    Carl, if you don't want to post the tune, that's fine, but we can't really help you until then.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ct06gto View Post
    Really, do you recommend closed loop maf tuning using ltft for idle and cruise over a budget wideband?
    I generally do, yes. It depends on the vehicle and pcm, and the age of the factory sensors.

And, no, you don't have to tune the VE table first. Generally it's best to tune the MAF first (disable VE temporarily or full time to do such, however), since it's easiest, and you can get your car running decent to perfect in that manner, then focus on the VE table, if you so choose.
    Formerly known as RWTD

The advantage to tuning the MAF properly is you can use it to go back and generate your VE table, which is a huge plus if you've radically modified the vehicle. Tuning the MAF is much faster.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Advanced Tuner
    i dont see what posting my tune has to do with my question of where to start with logging? but i think i found some hst's to work.

but right now my MVPI Pro interface is giving me the BSOD everytime i disconnect it from my computer, working on that now.

Senior Tuner
    Well, posting your tune would help us help you with things you're not asking. I generally take the individual's tune and scan over it and then give them advice on things to improve upon, and/or to change.

Keep in mind, you can't get the tune perfect without starting from the very beginning, and that's getting the right injector calibration data in the file - which I'm betting you may not have (it's more than just IFR values). There's simple basics you have to account for first, such as the injectors, the MAF, the correct Area Scalar info for the TB, etc.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Advanced Tuner
    well,, the tuner i used has gone threw greg banish tuning school, so i hope they are all correct.. for one, they are not at the max value of 63.5