Thread: Run in failed MAF mode

Tuner in Training

Run in failed MAF mode

At this moment i´m tuning a '07 Mustang GT with procharger system but work with that fucking shit of MAF location is a freaky , the MAF pegged at very low RPM, i restrict the sensing area of the MAF with i only can raise around 1500 rpm+, i want to know if it can be run in failed MAF mode as speed density

not currently.

The stock system is an alpha n based backup, load with failed maf tables. no map sensor is used on these vehicles for fueling.

Just fix the sensor so it works right

Tuner in Training
    but how i do to not pegging

Are your injector values artificially high? That would cause your MAF to read artifically high.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Tuner in Training
    No i don't modify any parameters in the injectors values, only i change the flow rate low and high

Senior Tuner
    It's a known issue on the Procharger systems for the S197 to have a SH!T location for the MAF. That's one of the many reasons it's an unpopular setup to go with as-is out of the box. They are smart in that they are going blow-thru, but they really need to rectify their MAF issues. They are notorious for problems with MAF signals, however. Take the 4.6 vehicles, they put the MAF right after a hard 90 degree bend. Talk about CRAP! On the S197, if I am thinking right, they have relocated/re-engineered the MAF issue multiple times. Could you post a clear picture of the MAF location on the car, please?

The stock sensor is just NOT capable on range for that setup. I would suggest an HPX sensor, FYI. They also make the BA5000 for SCT (exact same MAF sensor). It is good to approx. 600+ rwhp in a 3" housing before pegging. Of couse, this depends on MAF housing/location design, as well.
    Last edited by RWTD; 06-30-2009 at 02:44 PM.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Tuner in Training
    the MAF is located previos the 90° bend of the intake elbow
    Last edited by MAFC; 06-21-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Well, that's actually not so bad of a location (not the most ideal, but not too bad). You either need the HPX sensor, or you need a MAFia (mass air flow interface adapter). The MAFia extends Ford sensors. Either should solve all your problems. Both are very easy to tune for.

I'm not here trying ot sell anything, but I have quite a few slot-sensor MAFias in stock, so PM me if you're interested in one. I'll be more than happy to show you how to scale up the MAF transfer for use with it.

Also, until HPT rectifieds it, one other issue you're going to run into is the FPVT Y-axis pegging at 4, on top of an estimated MAP pegging issue. I previously made posts concerning such here:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...040#post157040
    Last edited by RWTD; 07-01-2009 at 01:03 PM.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Tuner in Training
    yes i know that is the solution for the problems but the problem is that the procharger system and headers was installed in another GT of the same customer but that GT is an '06 and he sell that car and install in the '07 but as it is an '07 his diablo programmer that got the procharger tune can't work with '07 GT so he want that i tune his car and he said that the other car work fine without any other item.
    So i desire know how the stupid engineers of procharger can run your system in this car without pegging the MAF.

Senior Tuner
    Hopefully you'll steer this customer in the right direction and get him to buy an HPX sensor or MAFia.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Tuner in Training
    i gives the car yesterday and raise the top rows in load with failed MAF tables and the car can run without fail but i explain the situation to the customer and he understand
    only the question is i prefer the HPX sensor but do you sell it and send to Mexico?

Senior Tuner
    You can buy it from several individuals that frequent this site. I'll PM you a link to one.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Tuner in Training
    Ok and a lot of thanks for your help

Procharger has an upgraded intercooler core that comes with a slot for the MAF that works very well, it has a better signal and more range.

I would suggest going the HPX route than the MAFia one.

Si te sientes más confortable preguntando en español también te podemos ayudar.

saludos.

btw, why don't you post your tune?

Advanced Tuner
    Aussie fords run in MAF failed mode (SD) from factory

Senior Tuner
    Just wanted to let you know that I'll be tuning a Procharged '07 within a few weeks, with the SAME MAF location you have, so I'll help you out with the MAF transfer. It's going to be the stock MAF w/ a MAFia. The car is a built motor (stroked to a 302) with Comp cams and Comp limiters.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Advanced Tuner
    men im glad to hear that im almost finish instaling a procharger with stock MAF and MAFia and 39#inyectors an BAP in a 06 gt stock and a saleen s/c with stock MAf and 90mm saleen extreme CAI in a 08 gt ,the two have auto trans any help will be NICE since i dont have any idea from were to star no handhelds or noting just a laptop an HPT