Thread: 98 PCM to 98 2bar?

Tuner in Training

98 PCM to 98 2bar?

What does it take to allow the normal 98 HPT system to be a 2 bar system for a 98 Fbody computer? Thanks!
    1998 Trans Am. Looks stock......but far from it

Senior Tuner
    It takes applying the 2-bar OS via HPT. It's that easy
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by RWTD View Post
    It takes applying the 2-bar OS via HPT. It's that easy
    Cool, how do I go about getting the 2 bar Operating System? (sorry for a 'stupid' question).

Senior Tuner
    It's an "upgrade", so you will need 2 credits for it. Just open the file, go to "OS", select the 2-bar upgrade there, and once you go to flash it in the car it'll give you the option to purchase the credits for it.
    Formerly known as RWTD

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    It's an "upgrade", so you will need 2 credits for it. Just open the file, go to "OS", select the 2-bar upgrade there, and once you go to flash it in the car it'll give you the option to purchase the credits for it.
    To add to this READ THE HELP FILE!!!!!

98's are finicky, if you don't follow the steps we outline in our HELP FILE you can easily fry your pcm

www.hptuners.com/help
    www.hptuners.com/help
    www.hptuners.com/help

Please read through it.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post

98's are finicky, if you don't follow the steps we outline in our HELP FILE you can easily fry your pcm

www.hptuners.com/help
    www.hptuners.com/help
    www.hptuners.com/help

Please read through it.
    Thanks Bill. I'm already starting to read through it. Since I haven't used my HPT in 2 years, it is a nice study guide. I have downloaded 2.1.12 and according to the listings in your link, I am good to go with a 2 bar on the 98. (Just making sure)

I did notice if I open up the editor ~> help ~> license info table. The Vehicle ID listed for 2 bar speed density is not my VIN. Is this going to cause an issue of any kind or will it update the first time I read my PCM? (EDIT: I just noticed that my HPT doesn't say 1998 Camaro/Firebird but the year is 2001/2002.) (Edit #2: Nevermind about the 01/02, I forgot I had HPT for on 01/02 on my computer, I uninstalled that program, downloaded 2.22 (the newest edition)) I will not get my car until later in June, so I can't plug in until then).

I will have a lot of questions since this will be my first time for a 2 bar speed desnity tune. I did watch how to save for the 2 bar sd tune and I am glad to have you and others here that are willing to help a newbie.
    Last edited by DarkblueTA; 05-30-2009 at 11:44 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Looks like you'll need an upgrade to the latest OS, or either you need the latest non-beta version of HPT (which is at 2.2.x now, FYI).
    Formerly known as RWTD

I thoght that the 2 bar was really only for turbo and supercharged apps.
    98 TransAm WS9 Raim Air – Stage 4 4L60E Trans -3:90 Rear -1.8 HS Rockers - Full UMI Suspension – 85MM Lid – 85MM Z06 MAF - LS6 Z06 Intake - 224/230 Comp Cam - 7.350 Push Rods - 243 TEA Stage 2 LS6 Heads 61cc - Melling 10296 Oil Pump - Caddy Race Lifters - SLP Underdrive Pulley - 160 Thermo - 42# Green Top Injectors - HPT - SLP Line lock - Pacesetter LTube Headers - Yank SS4000 - 98 to 2002 PCM Swap www.mrk-motorsports.com

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboykilroy View Post
    I thoght that the 2 bar was really only for turbo and supercharged apps.
    I have a 70mm turbo on the car.

Tuner in Training
    Looks like you'll need an upgrade to the latest OS, or either you need the latest non-beta version of HPT (which is at 2.2.x now, FYI).
    The latest and greatest I could DL was 2.22. Is that not the latest version?

turbo NICE !!!
    98 TransAm WS9 Raim Air – Stage 4 4L60E Trans -3:90 Rear -1.8 HS Rockers - Full UMI Suspension – 85MM Lid – 85MM Z06 MAF - LS6 Z06 Intake - 224/230 Comp Cam - 7.350 Push Rods - 243 TEA Stage 2 LS6 Heads 61cc - Melling 10296 Oil Pump - Caddy Race Lifters - SLP Underdrive Pulley - 160 Thermo - 42# Green Top Injectors - HPT - SLP Line lock - Pacesetter LTube Headers - Yank SS4000 - 98 to 2002 PCM Swap www.mrk-motorsports.com

Senior Tuner
    That is the latest stable release, yes. In your previous post above you said 2.1.12.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboykilroy View Post
    turbo NICE !!!

Thanks! so far its 561rwhp and 611rwtq on 10# of boost. Peak torque has timing of 11* and the timing ramps up to 14* at 6krpms.

Only thing that 'concerns' me is after 5200, it kinda takes a dive on power, I think its something to do with either...
    1. to small of an air filter
    2. rubber 90* bend collapsing(it connects the airfilter to the turbo inlet)

Either way, I want to take care of any said 'issue(s)' above and see if it helps any.
    Last edited by DarkblueTA; 06-02-2009 at 07:33 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post

www.hptuners.com/help
    www.hptuners.com/help
    www.hptuners.com/help

Please read through it.
    Would it be possible to post the instructions here? I did a quick search in the help section but couldn't find the pertinent information for making the 2 bar OS work properly on 98's.

Im not a big fan of installing a 2 bar os on a 98.... i mean some have gotton it to work, others, not so much.... try a maf tune first... if u can.