Thread: Cyl 1 Firing 8X too much, no others firing

Potential Tuner

Cyl 1 Firing 8X too much, no others firing

Sorry if this is a long post, but I am posting everything we know about this car

So I am helping my friend swap an LS1/4L60E into his mustang. The wiring harness was custom built by a company and is very similar to a Painless. The PCM came out of a 2001 S10/4.3, with the numbers that matched exactly what the wiring harness company said to get (The OS Number is 12208322, don't remember what the PCM P/N was).

After installing the PCM, I copied ALL settings from a stock 2001 Camaro (5.7/Auto) over to the old S10 PCM and it seemed to take all the settings.

So it is all hooked up, and when we crank the motor, all 8 injectors fire like they should, but only cylinder 1 is getting spark, but it is getting LOTS of spark, as far as I can tell it, all 8 sparks are firing through the first coilpack.

I have checked the CKP while it is cranking and it seems to be reading 0-7, so it is working, as far as I can tell.

Anyone have any ideas? I have attached the HPT that I am trying to crank the car with.

Here are my theories:
    1) Bad PCM, it was bought of ebay for like $25. It seems to be in decent shape, HPTuners had no problems reading/writing/scanning.
    2) Something is incorrectly set up in the HPT or OS of the PCM. It is acting like there is a single coil with a distributor, but I can't find any sort of setting that will allow you to set up a Coil On/Near Plug DIS setup or a traditional electronic distributor.

I do not think that PCM takes an LSx file.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Potential Tuner
    The PCM's part number is 12200411. That is the same as a camaro's if i understand correctly. Should I change the VIN to a camaro's VIN (I know it would burn more licenses, but if that is what I have to do, I will)? Right now the VIN on the ECU is still a S10.

Not too sure, I do not know all the P/Ns, maybe someone else will chime in.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

I would have begun with a write-entire with a late model F-bod file...
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

you need to write entire as explained above as the editor doesn't contain all the parameters required to convert from V6 to V8.
    I count sheep in hex...

Potential Tuner
    Does that mean I need to burn another 2 credits? I have licensed the S10 that PCM was pulled out of, but will I need to license the FBody file I am flashing it to?

If so, then it is what it is , but I am just trying to save a hundred bucks (or save my open credits for another car).

yes you need to be licensed for both the PCM and also the file you are writing to it.
    I count sheep in hex...

Quote Originally Posted by ptparker View Post
    The PCM's part number is 12200411. That is the same as a camaro's if i understand correctly. Should I change the VIN to a camaro's VIN (I know it would burn more licenses, but if that is what I have to do, I will)? Right now the VIN on the ECU is still a S10.
    That computer was used exclusively 2001-2002, pretty much all and any GM model, including Camaro, Corvette, CKSeries, Vans, etc...4.3L, 4.8L, 5.3L, 5.7L, 6.0L and 8.1L...engine combinations only.
    2009 Cadillac CTS-V 196.7 MPH on the Salt
    Superflow SF600 FlowBench -- Superflow Autodyn 30 Chassis Dyno -- Superflow SF901 Engine Dyno--RaceLogic Emulator -- MikiPro Logic Emulator -- ASNU Injector Flow Bench --

Potential Tuner
    Is there an advantage to licensing it as a vette or a fbody? What about an 01 or 02? Do they have all the same parameters?