Thread: HP Tuners on My Car Video Display

HP Tuners on My Car Video Display

A few weeks ago I traded in my 2003 Vette in on a 2008 Pontiac G8 GT. Though I miss my Vette (traded in due to spousal pressure), I am very happy with my new car. One thing I have been playing with is the Stereo (if you can still call it that in these new cars). I tapped into the rear video/audio input and hooked it to the output from my PC and here is what I got.

One problem in what is called VIM (Vehicle in Motion). It turnes off the video above 5 mph. This is a safety device so we can't watch chick flixs (yea, thats what we would watch) while we drive down the road.

However, my goal is to set up a laptop in the trunk and use a wireless keyboard. This way I could run the HP tuners Scanner as well as a GPS map program.

Many with a G8 are working on disabling the VIM but no solution yet. Since the HP Tuners community is the best out there at figuring out GM electronic controls, I thought someone here might take a swing at it. People are talking about spending $400+ for a solution from Australia but it has never been tested on a G8. If someone could figure this out, they could make a pretty penny. However, a software upgrade to HP Tuners that could do it would suit me fine.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by arthansen; 01-11-2009 at 07:54 PM.
    2013 Jeep Wrangler JK
    3.6 V6
    More MODs than Stock

2018 Ram rebel
    5.7 Hemi V8
    Stock

Advanced Tuner
    Holy Crap You Can Do That!?
    Omg!!!

Damn it man - Do you know how hard I've been resisting trading my '07 Monte SS for an '08 G8!?

This is an evil Evil EVIL post!!!

sweet
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Advanced Tuner
    I've been running HPTuners and Centerfuse on an in dash touch screen PC for a while on our test solstice. The diagnostics help. We were looking to remotely be able to tune the car from a distant location through WI-fi networking. That's not easy to figure out.

The computer we have setup in there would boggle some people. Totally foldable bluetooth keyboard with mousepad. It's a trip!

Check out this site. They may have something for the G8.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Quote Originally Posted by PSYKOSTEVO
    I've been running HPTuners and Centerfuse on an in dash touch screen PC for a while on our test solstice. The diagnostics help. We were looking to remotely be able to tune the car from a distant location through WI-fi networking. That's not easy to figure out.

The computer we have setup in there would boggle some people. Totally foldable bluetooth keyboard with mousepad. It's a trip!
    Remote flashing isn't impossible. Just setup a VPN connection to your office, have remote assistance activated on the in-car computer and remotely login via a desktop/laptop at the office. You just have to be on the phone with the consumer to verify the connections are plugged in and make sure the key is turned on. Other than that, it's simple networking.
    '20 AT4
    '01 Suburban 2500 Dad Wagon

btw, I took a screen shot of me flashing the truck from our server inside the shop. I was connected to the wireless next door to double make sure everything would work fine. Went just as planned
    Last edited by jakebdb56; 08-28-2008 at 02:06 PM.
    '20 AT4
    '01 Suburban 2500 Dad Wagon

I love these setups, and would love to see more details for all those who have done similar displays.

I'd like to put something similar in the race car that will be able to handle some high 1.1 60's.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

*no need to quote pics*

I didn't even know that there was a rear A/V input!

Regular RCA jacks (yellow,white,red)? Or 2.5mm plug?

The screen looks pretty good in full color!
    2004 GTO A4
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION....
    Previous E.T. 10.66 @ 130 mph
    http://www.mongillomotors.com/1066vid.html
    2008 G8
    LS3 76mm Turbo. 582rwhp
    2003 S600 Mercedes
    V12 Twin Turbo 21psi 600 rwhp
    2007 Factor Five GTM
    Twin Turbo forged LS6 600rwhp
    2015 Polaris Slingshot
    Tune & DR

www.ProEdgeTuning.com

Tuning with HPTuners & Mustang MD-1100 Chassis Dyno
    Wallingford, CT.

[email protected]

Not that easy. Check out this thread on G8Board.com

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5520
    2013 Jeep Wrangler JK
    3.6 V6
    More MODs than Stock

2018 Ram rebel
    5.7 Hemi V8
    Stock

Potential Tuner
    Thanks CRAZYYYYYYYY

Advanced Tuner
    ive disabled the VIM in some nissan vehicles while doing a HKS Camp II install, and in those, the stereo gets a signal from the vehicle speed sensor that trips the VIM. al you have to do, (in the nissans, but it might be the same for the gm setup) is cut the signal from the VSS to the stereo. I usually wire in a small toggle switch in the center console to switch it on or off.

im not sure if that would work in your car, but its a place to start looking i guess.

ps. i love the scanner setup!