Thread: Boosted 3400?

Senior Tuner

Boosted 3400?

Anyone here with the RSM kit on their ride? I'm putting a Vortech Supercharger, 8psi, on the car and was wondering if anyone else here might have a tip or two on where to begin once it's in. I will be leaving the MAF in place on the car, fyi.

I'm thinking I can just use the program to view KR and build a timing table from there, but I don't know if this is the way to go or not. I have read in the past that the only real way to do it is on a load dyno, again, I don't know the real answer to that either.

Second, I do have a WB to adjust fuel, so I should be OK there. I guess if anyone has any experience with a charged GA please post up!!

Thanks for you help in advance....

Paul
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Can you run 8psi with your compression?

your wot timing is probably pretty high being n/a.

lower it to 19 or less id say (WOT, not cruising timing)

shoot for 11.5 afr, vs NA you'd want 12.5
    2008 G8 GT / TVS1900 /2.9 pulley / LS9 Injectors/ LS9 Cam / Catback / Intake

Senior Tuner
    As "starks" has there, I think the key will be timing. I figured I'd be more in the 12-15* range. Have made a contact with a dyno shop that says it can be done. There are a couple of 3 liter Stealth guys running the same compression with 8 psi and are doing OK. This really isn't a big job to install so if I can't get it to work it wouldn't take much to pull it out again. I am doing the install myself so really it is just my time going into it.
    If it doesn't work I'll just keep it for the next car. Still have my sights set on finding a 02 Camaro SS eventually that I would gladly have it modded to fit!

And yea, my timing is pretty high right now, 28-30* wot. Compression of the engine is close to 10.5
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Detonation is a big function of chamber design and you can have identical static compession ratios with different chambers and one will knock like crazy at low boost and the other will be fine at higher boost. Don't use another engine family as a guide for "I can do that".
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    Experimental Physicist

Current:
    1964 Riviera (4.1L Buick Turbo6, 4L80E, L67 PCM)
    2012 Hyundai Genesis Sedan (3.8 GDI, 8spd Aisin)
    1998 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 (454, 4L80E)
    SOLD:
    1970 Riviera
    1965 Riviera GS (465 Super Wildcat, SP400) #'s Matching
    1967 Skylark Deluxe
    1997.5 Regal GS

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CTX-SLPR
    Detonation is a big function of chamber design and you can have identical static compression ratios with different chambers and one will knock like crazy at low boost and the other will be fine at higher boost. Don't use another engine family as a guide for "I can do that".
    That was what I said to a tee. But I gave them the specs on the cam, engine type, and the compression, which by the way has never been confirmed in front of me. This is what the engine builder said it is at, but I don't think mine has ever really been tested to see where it is.
    I believe the numbers reported to me are from a similar set up(10.48:1) that was tested by them. My friend Dave who has been playing with boost for years now says they should be able to make it work, but again, they have not done one of these to my knowledge either. Looks like it will be a "let's see what happens thing", and if it doesn't work, like I said earlier, I'll just keep it for the next car I get I guess.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Senior Tuner
    Hey guys, been a while. I finally got the charger in yesterday and have hit a wall here. Took a while just to get it to idle at all and is stalling like crazy. But the bigger issue right now is the oil dip stick. Have oil pissing out the dip stick and has blown oil EVERYWHERE from it. Any ideas what I can do for this? The car is still in my friends driveway from last night and was hoping to have something to try on this today.
    Second issue. The car would not idle at all with the MAF. Was going -50 on the trims. Took out the maf and in SD it will go to -26 on the trims. This makes no sense what so ever to me. I would expect the car to go lean with adding a charger, not rich!!
    This is a vortech charger with an 8 lb atmospheric blow off valve on a 2000 Grand AM 3400....
    Any one that has an idea as to where to begin with this I would be forever in your debt!!
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Advanced Tuner
    Honeoye,Ny. Boondox son. Shoot guns out my back door. noone cares.
    sounds like your plumbing is blowing boost into the motor.. PCV? Crankcase vent? somewhere your blowing pressure straight into it. HOPEFULLY the motor isnt hurt already.

Clean the MAF sensor. sounds liek there is oil on it. THen put it back into the loop upstream from the blower. Make CERTAIN you recirculate the BOV behind the MAF or it will be CRAZY rich from it measuring air that is blown off into the atmosphere.
    Me love boost long time.

Senior Tuner
    I have thought of something from reading your post. The Crank case return, from the rear valve cover returns to the intake. This should be removed I guess right? If the car is now running boost, instead of vaccum, it would send pressure into the crank case, instead of venting the gasses correct?
    Second, when in SD, the car is still crazy rich, think this could cause this too?
    Thank-you sooooooo much for your input man, this is pretty crazy what is going on. Again, the car is doing exactly oppisite to what I though it would do. I am going to get the MAF after the blow off valve so it is more accurate to the air going into the car. I'm heading back there soon and will take my computer with me so I can check in here while I'm there.
    Last edited by MMGT1; 09-01-2008 at 10:14 AM.
    2000 Trans Am WS6