Thread: 180 degree stat fan setting

Potential Tuner

180 degree stat fan setting

I just installed a 180 degree thermostat in my camaro. What would be appropriate fan setting for both the low and high speed fan setting? The car is a 1999 camaro LS1/A4. Mods include LID, Catback, and TB bypass

Potential Tuner
    Search can be a wonderful thing if used first. I just reduced the factory settings by 15 degrees and called it good.

Tuner in Training
    Can't remeber where I came by this information but it's seemed to work well for my car and several others I know of.

Drive the car on the interstate at normal cruising speeds and monitor your water temp. Set your fan 1 temps to come on about 5 degrees warmer than your average and off 2 degrees below the average temp (7 degree spread). For fan 2 add 8 degrees to fan 1 settings.

Like I said, can't claim this as my own but used it for my tune and car seems to like it and I have no temp issues.
    2002 Z06 LG Long Tubes, Spec 3+, HPTuners
    1988 TransAm GTA - LS1 conversion, custom CAI, exhaust, LS6 Intake, Fuddle 3400, HPTuners

Potential Tuner
    That's what I end up doing. And it worked like a champ.

Quote Originally Posted by crewchef
    Set your fan 1 temps to come on about 5 degrees warmer than your average and off 2 degrees below the average temp (7 degree spread). For fan 2 add 8 degrees to fan 1 settings.
    You want the fans to turn off 2 degrees ABOVE the cruising speed temp so that the fans are not running all the time.

Russ Kemp

Quote Originally Posted by whatishisname
    I just installed a 180 degree thermostat in my camaro. What would be appropriate fan setting for both the low and high speed fan setting? The car is a 1999 camaro LS1/A4. Mods include LID, Catback, and TB bypass
    In my experience, a 180*F stat runs at the same temp as the stock stat. A 160*F stat runs about 170-174 on the highway.

Russ Kemp