Thread: Sporadic rough idle after header leak fix... wtf?

Tuner in Training

Sporadic rough idle after header leak fix... wtf?

I had a small leak near my #4 primary on my header top far driver side bolt. Got together with a buddy and we went thru each bolt 1 by 1 to find it. Great, no more leak..... BUT! Now I have a sporadic idle and misfires in all four cylinders. :cussing: It'll start up, idle high, come down to the normal 850 range, then bounce around, almost stall and then shoot really high. I just replaced my O2 sensor last summer before my warranty expired, but that is the only thing I can think of. HPT scans show my O2 B1S1 as a flat line, then a jump high, then a dive low, long flat line, repeat as opposed to the normal peak and valley rhythm. My low end timing is running 20-25* when the tune is commanding teens and nothing on the tune has changed, even reflashed it to be safe. I'm tired of fucking with the car today, but anyone have any other ideas before buying my 4th 02 sensor? It's just ironic how I fix my leak and now I have this.

If it's not one thing it's another with this car lately. :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

I cleaned my tb today, disconnected the battery over night, and checked my plugs, all is good. :sigh: WTF!

Attached are scans from the last two days and my tune

Tom, here are the files you requested.
    Victory Red 06 Cobalt SS/SC

HP Tune in progress

Tuner in Training
    Thanks!

Tuner in Training
    Adjusted IFR's, still having same issue. Unsure what could be causing this. Anyone have any suggestions?

Your car was tuned with a leak in the exhaust, showing a lean condition to the O2s. Then you buttoned up the exhaust so it wasn't leaking anymore and now your car is adding more fuel than it's supposed to.
    RSG Offroad
    Jeeps. Jeeps. And more Jeeps. Oh and Jeeps too.

Tuner in Training
    It was tuned on 2.5" leak-less exhaust then I changed to my 3" a month later, had a leak for 2 weeks, then sealed it up.

So you now can flow air more easily through your engine, but your car's computer doesn't know that and now you have issues with it running right? Sounds like it needs a good tune to me. Where are you located?
    RSG Offroad
    Jeeps. Jeeps. And more Jeeps. Oh and Jeeps too.

Tuner in Training
    Dayton, OH. (it's at the bottom of my post )

I'm working on installing my LC-1 so I can get it dialed in tomorrow. I've been running a 2.6 pulley on my stock m62 w/o any issue for a year but I guess after the Harrop TVS blower swap + tune, and now full 3" exhaust; my cars a little confused and needs re-retuned

Tuner in Training
    The first log dated 6/29 is the most recent and the one labeled nbgjhhgffrr6786 was just random letters because I was driving and didn't change the title and is from 6/23. The adjusted IFR's log is from 6/23 as well. Thanks for offering to help. I hope its the tune and easily fixed, but I've tried everything I can think of. The last file I'll add is the original TVS tune which was from Precision Autosports here in Dayton, OH and was unchanged until after the idle went bad. It'll show you waht all I've changed from before to current.

Mods: K&N airbox mod, stock tb, 80mm TVS pulley, 60# inj., secondary cobra H/E, ZZP midlength header 1.75 primaries, 3" catless exhaust. Meth is installed but not hooked up until after this is fixed

Tom
    WickedSS2005

Advanced Tuner
    Did you try resetting your fuel trims under the SCANNER? The leak would throw off your O2 sensors and cause funny fueling.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by PSYKOSTEVO
    Did you try resetting your fuel trims under the SCANNER? The leak would throw off your O2 sensors and cause funny fueling.
    I've reset them a couple times. It resolves my issue for a second, then it goes back to sloly getting the same terrible idle as before.