i am not new to tuning turbocharged vehicles, however i am new to the variable turbo like the LLY's come equiped with. i am going to write out my thoughts on this and i want you experts to correct me if i am incorrect.

1. the VATN style of the LLY turbo allows the vanes to be open or closed to allow spool up characteristics as well as to regulate boost pressures (i am fairly sure i read somewhere that the turbo does not run a typical spring style wastegate, though i am not sure about this)

2. if this were to be true, i could keep the vanes closed for a little longer to reduce lag, and open it up slowly as pressure reaches desired boost levels

3. the factory boost maps are horrendously jagged. with peaks and valleys all over the place. wouldnt a smoother map starting with mostly closed at low load low rpm and opening up with both load and rpm smoothly create the best flow and power characteristics?

4. if turbo vane position plays an important part of tubo flow, how then does the desired boost pressure come into play? it would seem, if the vehicle doesnt run a typical wastegate and solenoid combination, that it uses vane position to match boost and only uses the vane position portion to put maximum possible vane positions for a given load/rpm. if this is the case wouldnt it just make more sense to open up the vane all the way and let the computer match boost to what you want?