Thread: VCT adjustments

VCT adjustments

I just installed new cams in my 05 GT. I have been messing around with the tune a little bit and was having some issues becuase of the crap scanner we have with hptuners. I finally decided to try and scan it with my SCT X3 and that scanner is MUCH better and I can actually get some data from it.

One thing I noticed was the VCT was advancing the cam by what looked like an average of 30^ under part throttle acceleration. This seems to jive with the tune tables I looked at. It also seems to be retarding it back to ZERO under heavy throttle low rpm pulls making the car seem to bog down. It feels strong when the cams are advanced and bogs when retarded. I have always felt like something was holding the car back until about 3000rpms and I think this is it. Has anyone messed around with the VCT on the dyno and verified what my butt dyno is telling me?

Any thoughts?
    -Ken

You have an X3????

the sct scanner is one of the best out there for the ford....

You should have been using the sct scanner all along.

The SCT scanner will log all the maf parameters you need, and everything else you need for that matter, armed with that data you will be able to tune very effectively with HPtuners.

I haven't much experience with the all the different cams, but, I can tell you this, with the stage 2 comp cams the vct has to be locked out with the special parts on the gears.

the car will run like doo doo without them locked.
    Last edited by Fox95; 06-05-2008 at 11:17 PM.
    Roadracing Crew Chief - World Superbike, British Superbike, Moto America.

I didnt have an X3 untill last week. Then I figured I needed one of thier tunes in to scan. Now what I know I can tune with my htuners and scan with the X3. t seems to be working but I am a little leary about making changes to things I dont understand. I am going to make some baby steps with the VCT tables and see if I can effect some change. I hate the timing tables in this thing. plates open plates closed, wierd multipliers.. its a maze and probably a minefield if I dont pay attention!

-Ken

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by AtHomeTech
    I didnt have an X3 untill last week. Then I figured I needed one of thier tunes in to scan. Now what I know I can tune with my htuners and scan with the X3. t seems to be working but I am a little leary about making changes to things I dont understand. I am going to make some baby steps with the VCT tables and see if I can effect some change. I hate the timing tables in this thing. plates open plates closed, wierd multipliers.. its a maze and probably a minefield if I dont pay attention!

-Ken
    It's easier than you think. It took me 4 hours the first day to figure stuff out, and then with a little scolding and help from people on here like RWTD and FOX I learned more and more about the Ford PCM.

Timing is easy to understand on here when you realize WHAT they tables mean.

That's right I now remember replying to your PM about what you were going to do.

First thing to do is get your FT's inline, then play with the ign, timing next and VCT timing after that.

Unfortunately, your not really ever going to know if you're doing yourself any good with the VCT timing and IGN timing unless your doing back to back runs on a dyno.

But here's the good news. You just turned on the light in a dark cave, now that you have the sct scanner.

Shut off the adaptive learning and take it for a drive and log your STFT's against MAF data...and you'll have the maf transfer dialed in

Try and cruise at certain speeds and certain load conditions for a few seconds, that way when you look back at the data, it's easy to decipher. If you have a big long straightaway, do it in steps, cruise in 4th gear for 5 seconds at 35 mph, then go to 45 mph for 5 sec. then go to 55 mph for 5 seconds.....etc....

when you go back through you'll see the steps and where on the maf transfer to make changes.

Hey Fox. I appreciate the input. My trims are pretty good, well within 5%. I need to get idle air dialed in as it still surges and falls off every now and then then sort out ignition timing. There is a dip in the timing at around 4000 rpms when the borderline spark and the imrc spark seem to flop. I hate having to deal with that kind of stuff, seems sloppy to me. I tried messing around with the VCT spark but i was not able to effect any change. I changed Airflow--> variable camshaft --> angle (imrc open) load and closed load but did not see any evidence it changed in the scanner. I made some other changes in borderline spark that I was unable to see evidence of when I logged it. I am beginning to wonder if these changes are actually taking place.

-Ken

the changes your making in borderline spark that don't seem to be showing up could be caused by the fact that your making changes in the wrong cells.

Make sure your logging Load on the scanner and make sure your in the appropriate load range of the borderline knock table.

So if your pulling a 1.0 load under wot, and your making changes to borderline in the 1.1 load line then your not getting into that area of the borderline map, and you won't see any effect.

this goes for the vct and imrc tables as well, make sure the loads your pulling are the areas your tuning in.

Man I can't wait till the HP tuners scanner will support all the parameters needed for the fords.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox95
    Man I can't wait till the HP tuners scanner will support all the parameters needed for the fords.
    Hahaha! You and me both. I'm tuning in the dark......and with only us handful of people to back to to bang my head on the wall with at times.