Thread: Tune suggestions please

Tuner in Training

Tune suggestions please

Can someone that knows more than me (which means all ok you ) take a look at this tune. I seem to be low on power, dyno'd at 390 for the components that I have and I also seem to be going through a lot more fuel than I think I should. I have a 2001 Vette LS1 with trick flow 215 heads (which were not milled and using stock gasket also have trick flow cam 228/230 .344 cam lift, .585 valve lift & 112 lope sep. A 25% underdrive pulley, LG street headers with catted x-pipe which connects to Z06 TI catback. Stll running the stock intake manifold and throttle body which are behind a vararam CAI. Oh yeah and a 3.42 rear end. Any suggestions would be great. I am running 10.5 compression and also run a 160 thermostat.

Thanks
    Frank

Oh yeah also the car pushes a little...example I can be doing 40 mph and take my foot off the gas and it never slows down. Mainly seems to do this from say around 50mph, don't notice it at highway speeds but it might be there not sure.
    Last edited by arrow322; 06-05-2008 at 07:18 PM.

have any scans with WB data?

From the looks of the tune, not a whole lot was done in the way of fuel tuning with the incredibly off PE table. You timing table would also be better off if you set it back to stock (maybe out of a 2000 cal). 27º of timing in low load is not going to help power or gas mileage.

Lower your throttle cracker airflow for the hanging idle at speed.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
    have any scans with WB data?

From the looks of the tune, not a whole lot was done in the way of fuel tuning with the incredibly off PE table. You timing table would also be better off if you set it back to stock (maybe out of a 2000 cal). 27º of timing in low load is not going to help power or gas mileage.

Lower your throttle cracker airflow for the hanging idle at speed.
    Here is a log file with wideband. Was just on side streets so no wide open runs on here. If you can bear with me I just got hptuners and am learning as I go. The tune that is in there is from the guy that did the motor upgrades and I just have a feeling its lacking fine tuning. Thats why I bought HPT but man I'm in overload right now. On your recommendations above would you mind telling me which setting in PE to adjust also in the timing tables. Part of my learning problem is I have a rough idea what you guys are talking about but sometimes have a hard time finding the proper place. I do have my stock tune so as far as the returning the timing table back to stock can be done. On the throttle cracker I know where that is should I take the whole table down by multiplying by something like .95? or should I just adjust portions of it. Thanks so much for the help it is greatly appreciated. I can send you a case of beer if you like

Frank

I've been reading and searching and was wondering if the PE table your talking about is the EQ Ratio vs RPM table? If it is would I want to bring the valus down across the board? How much would you suggest if so. Again thanks for bearing with me as I try to learn this software.
    Last edited by arrow322; 06-05-2008 at 09:33 PM.

Yes, that is the PE. A good starting point is 1.13-1.15, but you can dial it in to what your car responds best to.

As for timing, you can start with a stock table and work from there, it may need more timing with those heads.

The cracker table can be multiplied by 0.5 to see how that helps. To do it right, the best thing to do is command the PE you want, set a good timing table to start with, calibrate the MAF and VE tables, then do your idle airflow tables.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
    Yes, that is the PE. A good starting point is 1.13-1.15, but you can dial it in to what your car responds best to.

As for timing, you can start with a stock table and work from there, it may need more timing with those heads.

The cracker table can be multiplied by 0.5 to see how that helps. To do it right, the best thing to do is command the PE you want, set a good timing table to start with, calibrate the MAF and VE tables, then do your idle airflow tables.
    Thanks for the help. I think I am getting closer now. I set the cracker down per your instructions and it seemed to help a little with the pushing issue. Can I take it down even further as log as it doesn't die when I let off the throttle? I did a couple WOT and have a little bit of knock that I need to get rid of but idle seems pretty good and per my g-timer I went from 13.25 1/4 to 13.15 in the 1/4 so it seems like it helped. My AFR is now around 12.5 at WOT when it was at 12.0. Like I said its getting there thanks to your help. It can get very frustrating trying to get everything to fall into place. So thanks again. I might have to ask a few more questions but don't have too much time at the moment.

Frank