Thread: Just swapped flywheels to a lighter one where do I start?

Advanced Tuner

Red face Just swapped flywheels to a lighter one where do I start?

Okay, I just got done installing a new flywheel that is 16lbs lighter than what was in the car. I know I'm going to be changing the VE table a little since it will need less fuel at each cell since the load on the motor will be less than before, but what about idle and other tables. I'd love for the motor to return to idle just as quick as it revs up, like a pro-stock type motor but what tables are going to be needed to change?

I've done a search and surprisingly I didn't find many threads at all discussing lighter flywheels and the tuning changes after installing.
    2000 T/A - Thompson Motorsports 416ls3, F1A procharger, HP tuned. Just a couple psi of boost.
    2013 Mercedes C350, wish HPtuners worked.

Having any issues with it? The main thing I needed to do was make the idle controls more aggressive because the RPMs were coming down very fast.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Not to butt in but thats something that has always bothered me on the LS1,,,,,rpms never come down quickly,,,,and I never could get a clear explaination as to how to adjust.

You mention getting more aggressive with idle controls,,,,care to explain???

Advanced Tuner
    I zeroed all throttle follower and cracker tables and now it comes down quickly, just every now and then if you rev quickly above 5000rpm in neutral it overshoots and sometimes stalls. I also took a lot of timing out until 1600rpm and now i can cruise in 5th gear without much bucking, i can fllor it at 1800 in 5th gear and it accellerates to 290kph with ease (supercharged 402 in 2001 C5)

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks for the responses guys. Unfortunately I haven't driven the car yet as work and family have eaten up all of my time. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have some data logs.
    2000 T/A - Thompson Motorsports 416ls3, F1A procharger, HP tuned. Just a couple psi of boost.

Quote Originally Posted by ccrp
    I zeroed all throttle follower and cracker tables and now it comes down quickly, just every now and then if you rev quickly above 5000rpm in neutral it overshoots and sometimes stalls. I also took a lot of timing out until 1600rpm and now i can cruise in 5th gear without much bucking, i can fllor it at 1800 in 5th gear and it accellerates to 290kph with ease (supercharged 402 in 2001 C5)

Well here's what I see in my tune (02 camaro) Some of what you are saying wouldn't seem to work and actually appears to be the opposite of what the description bar says for these tables.

First,,,my throttle cracker is disabled so thats out of the picture.

There is throttle follower both decay,,,and delay.

Delay states that this is the amount of time before the decay table is subtracted,,,,both of these are zeroed out.

Now the Decay is where I am confused. In the graph it states that this number is the amount at which the IAC closes and this number is subtracted from the current IAC airflow value,,,,,the higher the number the faster the decay rate. So putting 0's in here would actually slow the process down if I am reading this right. There is an in gear table and a park/neutral table.

IN GEAR TABLE:
    The limits list 0 up to 64 G/sec as maximum,,,,yet they all range from
    .0068 to .0830,,,,,this is very low on the scale according to the limits.

4th gear has the highest number,,,and I have to say it feels better when letting off the gas in traffic, the car actually has some engine brake.
    So what is a safe limit to put in here????? How high can these numbers be bumped up to a point where you actually feel like you have real throttle control of the car??????

IN PARK/NEUTRAL TABLE:

This table states it works in the same manor,,hence higher number is faster decay...
    It also gives a range of 0.0 to 64.0 g/sec

I have 2.000 accross the board here. Again what is a safe number here to enter so the throttle follows foot movement more precise?????

Any help or explaination is much appreciated

Limits are limits and nothing more. It is just what you can put in the tune.

There is no safe number. The higher it is, the faster it decays.
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Hmmm,,,well should I just zero out the IAC airflow table then????
    Since these decay numbers do nothing but subtract from that table,,,,,why not just zero the IAC airflow table and do away with the whole mess???? That would seem to just bypass the decay values all together if there is nothing there to decay,,,,,

Is there something I'm missing here?

The throttle follower table? That is just there to open and close the IAC based on TPS. I guess you can zero it, but before doing something like that, make sure your fueling and idle airflow tables are setup correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
    The throttle follower table? That is just there to open and close the IAC based on TPS. I guess you can zero it, but before doing something like that, make sure your fueling and idle airflow tables are setup correctly.

Sorry,,,,I meant zero the "throttle follower airflow vs TPS" table.
    Go to: Engine-idle-idle airflow-,,,,,then under throttle follower section there is a tab that simply says "airflow"
    Description says it's the airflow value used as the throttle is opened,,but also states it's the value that is reduced to zero by the decay perimeters when the throttle is closed.

If thats the case then why not zero this table instead of fooling with decay perimeters????? That would make more sense to me but I think I'm trying to simplify too much and I'm missing something???

That table helps when giving the car throttle, makes it more crisp (in my opinion) and helps bring it to idle better and slower. Some cars may need less while others need more.

Sounds like something I would like to tinker with.

How does it work exactly???? Does it affect another table as far as another math equation??? Up or down does what exactly???

I noticed the lower portion of mine (first 3-4 blocks) are zero. Then it progressively goes up from there.

I like crisp,,,always been a complaint of mine on these LS motors, they sound so lazy. I would expect that from a drive by wire more so than cable operated

Would you suggest any changes from a stock table up or down??? Or would I be better off playing with the decay amounts that subtract from this table????

It adds airflow, opens the IAC more, with a higher value.

Quote Originally Posted by The Alchemist
    Okay, I just got done installing a new flywheel that is 16lbs lighter than what was in the car. I know I'm going to be changing the VE table a little since it will need less fuel at each cell since the load on the motor will be less than before, but what about idle and other tables. I'd love for the motor to return to idle just as quick as it revs up, like a pro-stock type motor but what tables are going to be needed to change?

I've done a search and surprisingly I didn't find many threads at all discussing lighter flywheels and the tuning changes after installing.
    Hi The Alchemist,

Did you get my email in anwer to your questions through PM on the other site?

Christian

418Ci TEC Assembled/ ETP-FTI Prep/ FTI "Barbara Streisand" Cam 664 HP Pump Gas.
    Losers can always explain why...as winners never explain how...
    What makes a Top Performer Human is the mistake…What makes him the greatest is his ability to repair it

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by miami993c297
    Hi The Alchemist,

Did you get my email in anwer to your questions through PM on the other site?

Christian

Yup, I got it. Thanks. I need to sit down and actually spend some time logging data and playing with some parameters to get everything in line.