Thread: E-85 Conversion

Potential Tuner

E-85 Conversion

can we do this with our software? will allow 03-07 GM trucks to run E-85 in their stock vehicle without having to purchase expensive conversion kits. This tuner modifies stock PCM programming to allow components that already lie dormant in these trucks to pick up and use ethanol in the fuel line. In the old days, this would been impossible due to the use of organic rubber in vehicle fuel lines, but for the last 10 years GM has been including synthetic fuel lines and ethanol sensors in these vehicles STOCK! Run E-85, Support America!

On GenIII vehicles they used a specific operating system to handle the E85 and they had an ethanol sensor on the vehicle. IF you are going to run E85 all the time (or keep your laptop & MPVI handy) you can simply change the injectors to the E85 truck version and copy the injector cal over to yours, adjust the Stoch value and you should be good to go.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Senior Tuner
    I did also read that shortly after the switch (1000 mi. or so) its a good idea to replace the fuel filter due to the ethanol's cleaning effects on fuel deposits and varnish in the fuel system.
    Jaime

Tuner
    aside from being told the lines would corrode, i've also been told that the fuel tank would corrode as well - so are we to assume that since the lines have been replaced the fuel tang would handle it as well?

so you're saying the only thing "flex fuel" vehicles have that "non flex" ones don't are different injectors and ECM calibration?
    seems like an expensive gamble.
    The '07 Aura XR
    [In] XM ExpressEZ
    [Next] intake res delete, Tint, Eibachs

The Procharged Ion - SMP Stage 2 QC
    20/5 tint, SPS stb, CF dash, reflective bumper insert, 62mm TB, RL plugs, masked corners, progress rsb, RL fsb, 2.5" cat-back, triple pod w/ Boost, FPG, LC-1 & XD-16, filled front & rear mounts, pclear shorty shift, Procharged, Eibach Pros, 8k HIDs - 188.28whp / 175.03wtq, NO TUNE

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bc3tech
    aside from being told the lines would corrode, i've also been told that the fuel tank would corrode as well - so are we to assume that since the lines have been replaced the fuel tang would handle it as well?
    That's why alot of the newer vehicles use stainless steel fuel rails and lines. They also have to be designed for 100,000 miles as well so, I'm not sure how long the corrosion process would take.

Here is some basic info...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85
    Last edited by ElecTech; 01-31-2008 at 09:54 AM.
    Jaime

Senior Tuner
    Jaime

Potential Tuner
    i just found out, from another interested party, that there is a fuel sensor for ethanol bigger injectors and a bigger fuel pump. These trucks are vin coded with a Z. all 03-07's have programing for E-85 aready in the pcm, they only lack the parts i've listed and are fully capable of running E-85. I have converted my 02 Trans Am to E-85 about six months ago. With too small of injectors 42#'s and fuel pump walboro 255lph, at 14:1 AFR, should have been 8.4:1, 11.4:1 compression,6500 rpm, MTI Stealth II cam, GMPP cnc'd Ls6 heads, full bolt on's, a D1SC @ 8#'s i made 642 rwhp and 593 rwtq @ 21 deg. of timing. On my stock short block, tranny and rear end. I will be pushing up the timing slowly to 28 deg. and boost to 15#'s when i get the new fuel system hooked up. i guess you can say i'm gambling, i like to think of it as, showing people just what this stuff is capable of.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by vatman02
    will allow 03-07 GM trucks to run E-85 in their stock vehicle without having to purchase expensive conversion kits. This tuner modifies stock PCM programming to allow components that already lie dormant in these trucks to pick up and use ethanol in the fuel line. In the old days, this would been impossible due to the use of organic rubber in vehicle fuel lines, but for the last 10 years GM has been including synthetic fuel lines and ethanol sensors in these vehicles STOCK! Run E-85, Support America!

the above was a quote from another programers web page. It would seem they have some sort of custom operating system that makes this work. GM just changed their E-85 set up to eliminate the actual sensor, they now use an algarithum? to compensate for the E-85.
    Last edited by vatman02; 01-31-2008 at 09:13 PM.

Yes, the 07+ vehicles use a "virtual" sensor like you mentioned. So they are definitely running an algorithm to alter the Stoch value.

BTW: Very few 03 and earlier vehicles can run the E85 sensor that the trucks use because they have only one stoch value. If your O/S has one Stoch value then your system will not adjust for the alcohol content even if your run the ethanol sensor. You have to make that adjustment.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    Yes, the 07+ vehicles use a "virtual" sensor like you mentioned. So they are definitely running an algorithm to alter the Stoch value.

BTW: Very few 03 and earlier vehicles can run the E85 sensor that the trucks use because they have only one stoch value. If your O/S has one Stoch value then your system will not adjust for the alcohol content even if your run the ethanol sensor. You have to make that adjustment.
    I have an 05, and it has all the extra calibration tables for E-85. I filled up with it and everything seemed ok, until the next morning on my way to work the check engine light came on, lean fuel trim system. I just changed the value for stoich at 0% ethanol, and all is good. I wish i could get my hands on that algorithum and put it in the pcm.

Your 05 requires the sensor from a flex fuel truck to work correctly.

Tuner in Training

It would be great if a programer for GM or Ford would just "drop" some info on how they have the program laid out. It would be so much easier eh?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ElecTech
    That's why alot of the newer vehicles use stainless steel fuel rails and lines. They also have to be designed for 100,000 miles as well so, I'm not sure how long the corrosion process would take.

Here is some basic info...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85
    Most tank on newer models are plastic now. but here is some nifty info for you. Kinda Generic, but interesting to say the least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuOs1yap8mU