Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2001 GTP, Scan/Advice post

Advanced Tuner
    Your comments are appreciated, but when you can show me a GTP that can do better than 39MPG consistantly, I will say that your effeciency is good.

However, I happen to drive a '99 GTP that does 39MPG consistantly (and 13.8's at 105 on 87 octane and a badly slipping tranny) and has been doing so for the last 3 winters. I must be doing something right... so what I am advocating, cannot be so terrible. And really... we are talking such a small difference. Surely you are not telling me that EVERY car will react the same?

You are speaking to me of books... I drive what I tune and speak from real world experience, but I will take your suggestion and try to learn more. That is part of the reason I am here.

Thank-you for the link.
    Last edited by JerryH; 12-13-2007 at 04:44 PM.
    '99 Black GTP Sedan
    3.4-2.6" PB Quick Change pulleys, Custom CAI, XP Cam, N* TB, LQ4 MAF, SLP headers, 42.5# Injectors, 180/195* thermostat.

13.501 @ 103.392 on 91 (2.4 60-foot).
    13.82 @ 105.28 on 87 octane! (2.42 60-foot).
    263kph top end as shown on the GPS.
    All this and 39MPG to boot. What more can a man ask for?
    * Just another enthusiastic amateur tuner! *

Quote Originally Posted by Russ K
    A 160*F thermostat will help.

Russ Kemp
    Not always a good idea for an L67. The stock setting is for the knock sensors to be ignored at an ECT below 162°F

Cheers,
    1997 Bonneville SSEi
    40th Anniversary Edition
    13.07 @ 106.5

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Foghorn
    Not always a good idea for an L67. The stock setting is for the knock sensors to be ignored at an ECT below 162°F

Cheers,
    Hey Paul!

Right on as usual (but it is year dependant, and not consistant across all years). Thats also a very jurrassic tuning trick used when we had no way to really measure KR or the effects.

Real world tests also showed increased emmissions becuase the engine could not get to it's optimal running temps and a miniscule (at best) drop in KR.

I wish I had that chart, but thats info that is so old (at least 5-6 years old)... but someone from a major oil company did effeciency and wear tests between stock, 180 and 160 degree t-stats. The increase in wear going from 195 to 180 was an acceptable amount, but the increase from 195 to 160 was something like 1200% higher than going from 195 to 180.

I will see if I can find that info again. I know that it was a user from OQCGP that originally posted it there.

In any case, a 180 is about as low as I would suggest any street driven car go.
    '99 Black GTP Sedan
    3.4-2.6" PB Quick Change pulleys, Custom CAI, XP Cam, N* TB, LQ4 MAF, SLP headers, 42.5# Injectors, 180/195* thermostat.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryH
    Your comments are appreciated, but when you can show me a GTP that can do better than 39MPG consistantly, I will say that your effeciency is good.

However, I happen to drive a '99 GTP that does 39MPG consistantly (and 13.8's at 105 on 87 octane and a badly slipping tranny) and has been doing so for the last 3 winters. I must be doing something right... so what I am advocating, cannot be so terrible. And really... we are talking such a small difference. Surely you are not telling me that EVERY car will react the same?

You are speaking to me of books... I drive what I tune and speak from real world experience, but I will take your suggestion and try to learn more. That is part of the reason I am here.

Thank-you for the link.
    That book was written by an OEM calibrator for GM that is on this forum. I don't think you can argue your credibility or experience against his.

We all drive what we tune here, why else would we purchase HP Tuners, not exactly something you give to monkeys....

The great thing about talking engines, I can tell you that peak flame speed is around 13:1 AFR, richer mixtures burn cooler, and 12.5:1 will make more power then Stoic....on any gasoline reciprocating engine.

If you want talk BSFC #s with me, I'll gladly share what my setups have done. I'm not going to take away from your accomplishments, but MPG is very conditional, so are the many variables and consequences (good and bad) that come along with it.

I'm all up for comparing a BSFC, EGT, and Emissions package of data as then, and only then, we have an apples to apples comparison.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by streetcar
    That book was written by an OEM calibrator for GM that is on this forum. I don't think you can argue your credibility or experience against his.
    I do not wish to compare myself to anyone, but how many OEM calibrators work with well modified 3800s? The inverse is also true, I am sure... becuase my experience tuning V8s is very limited.

I have ordered the book and look forward to seeing how much 3800 specific info is in it. I found a used version for about $12 so no big loss if it doesn't add much to what I am already comfortable with. Info is always good.
    '99 Black GTP Sedan

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryH
    I do not wish to compare myself to anyone, but how many OEM calibrators work with well modified 3800s? The inverse is also true, I am sure... becuase my experience tuning V8s is very limited.

I have ordered the book and look forward to seeing how much 3800 specific info is in it. I found a used version for about $12 so no big loss if it doesn't add much to what I am already comfortable with. Info is always good.
    An engine is a system. It is governed by laws of physics, thermodynamics, heat and mass transfer....etc. If you understand the building blocks, one can calibrate any piston engine, modified or not. ASSuming you have the proper tools (which includes access to all of the right tables).

I'll warn you it's not 3800 specific, nor does it touch on 3800 specific engine management. It doe's how ever give you a tree to build upon, whether its for your v8 or v6 car, calibrating them properly involves the same methods, and again, the proper tools.

Advanced Tuner
    Thats ok... as I said info is info. I am sure I can gleam something from it.
    '99 Black GTP Sedan

Advanced Tuner
    Jerry, The book is not engine specific. It is a great read but there isnt much someone with your expierence will learn. You can say it is a glorified powrtuner guide. Great reference book to have though. I would love to take one of his classes.

Tuner in Training
    Now that is a good book. Nothing is specific to v6s, but you will see how we were pretty much right on with our theories at that other forum

Advanced Tuner
    Does anyone know of a book that was written specifically on 3800 engine management?
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

Tuner in Training
    I remember taking a quick look a while back. I might have seen a book about GN, but that will not do us any good.

Advanced Tuner
    Gents, I've been kinda rude and taken this thread a little far off topic, maybe we could start a new thread on books?
    '99 Black GTP Sedan

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by z34phoenix
    Yes need a thread for tuning tricks and ideas in the works!
    It's coming, my friend... just need a little time and patience, plus get past this very busy and festive time of the year. I will say this, though... this spring and summer are going to be VERY interesting for me with the HPT. The more fun I have, the more info I post.

A barrel of monkeys has nothing over the HPT when I have a free weekend and at least 2 tanks of gas lined up to play with!

Not sure if it is very important to anyone here, but my January is lterally booked solid (6-7 days a week, I kid you not!). First two weeks of February are reserved as vacation dates, and I'l be out of Canada doing the tourist thing, but something will come out before, and definately a lot more is in the works for after that, especially once the great white north starts to lose a bit of that whiteness.

Those that know me, know that I try to keep people up to date at least semi-regularly on these mini projects... so once I get the ball rolling, I will open up a thread and push that tiny snowball off the top of the mountain and see where it rolls to. I also know that we'll get a lot of back-and-forth from the people here (at least I hope so!), and that ALWAYS adds to the fun.

Stay "tuned" for more... lol
    Last edited by JerryH; 12-14-2007 at 03:14 PM.
    '99 Black GTP Sedan

sorry... i guess my post sounded like i was demanding info... lol

i would more then gladly help add my tips and tricks i have learned and that have helped me tune.

My thread was stolen!

haha j/k,

As Christmas draws near and the snow piles up around my house, I longingly stare at the neighbors pole barn, where my baby currently rests until Spring. Then I look over and see my tuner and laptop sitting in a corner, doing nothing..

I wish I could get out and do something. Its hard to keep reading the forums when I cannot run outside and practice what I am learning.

Thanks for all the good stuff posted thus far in this thread.

Peace.

best thing about being here in florida.... we were shocked cause we had 35* weather the day before... normally our lowest is 50! so tuning year round!

but yeah i grewup in pittsburgh... so i know cold weather.