Thread: Need Tuning help Please

Tuner in Training

Cool Need Tuning help Please

I have a 2000 Chevy Tahoe with a 5.7 350 that I have recently installed a bigger cam from Compcams, "Cam Specs, Gross Valve Lift, 0.495/0.503 Duration at .05 218/224". I have also installed bigger rocker arms. Their size is 1.6. It also has a K&N cold air intake, and a Gibson catback exhaust system.

My problem is, I don't know were to start or how to edit any of the fields to adjust the PCM. I have been playing with the HpTuners Software and was able to get the truck started and idle by raising the RPM's up. After that, I don't know what to do. Can someone Please Help.

I have also atached the Latest tune file for anyone to take a look at.

Thank you again for the help.

Tuner in Training

Thumbs down No Help from HP Tuners

I can't believe all the help I didn't get with posting a thread. All I have read from the HP Tuners guys, "employees" from the threads is "How Helpful HP Tuner is when posting a Thread". The sad thing about this post is, I am not asking for some one to tune my truck, but to tell me a what needs to be tuned and how to tune the areas needing tuning.

As being a recent purchase of the HP Tuners software and hardware that goes along with the software, I would have to strongly urge people NOT to buy this product from HP Tuners. I am very disappointed with HP Tuners. It seems to me, after HP Tuners got my $510.00 from me they were finished with me. I also didn't like the time it took to receive my purchase. It took them 5-7 days to process my order, and another 2 weeks to ship the software and hardware.

I have also done what they suggested by reading the forums. Their is not many or any 2000 Tahoe's out their that people are tuning. I have even downloaded other peoples tune files to try and compare them with mine. It helped just a little.

The plus side to this company is, if you have a Corvette, or Camaro, this software is great, only because there are several tuned files for those cars.

Tuner in Training
    There is a lot of support for the trucks, my truck is HP tuned and makes 566HP. you need to be a little more patient. As a new purchaser of HPT (I am) I would never start using the software by tackling a big job like you are attempting.
    With the rude attitude you expressed it is unlikely anyone is going to offer free help.

Dame Dude, Kinda ruff, Did you try reading? The software is kind of deep and It will take some time to get proficient.It would be best to start small and work your way up. I'm just a 1/2 Witt and when I need help I ask with hat in hand knowing that people don't have to help me with my problem and am grateful for any help I get. Its not their job to help you, its a gift. You need to think about that next time you get frustrated and want to take it out on someone else. You might want to find a local shop that uses HP to tune with and pay them and maybe learn something at the same time.PS be nice or they will send you packing. O-Tay!

Tuner in Training
    Trever1T and Brazzen Orange.

You two are right. I did come off a little mean in my last post and I shouldn't have slammed HP Tuners so hard. That was very unprofessional of me.

But, this is actually my second post. My first post was in early October. I deleted that post by replacing the post with three hidden periods. I had 112 views on that post, but never one suggestion. I was a little disappointed. I also read allot of post trying to figure out what needed to be tuned. I found it being difficult when trying to compare tunes that were for newer than my 2000 Tahoe. But I did try and I have made adjustments to the PCM. I don't know if they helped or not, but what I do know is that the truck isn't using any more gas than what it was before I done the cam swap.

I do apologize to HP Tuners and for anyone that my post offended.

This is how to set up the PE. The stock settings delay the PE. Also set your stoich AFR to 14.7. Post your stock tune.

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    Russ K

Dude, you are AWSOME. I Thank You a whole bunch for taking your time to help me. I have just made the changes that you had in your thumbnail you posted. I will try that before I go to lunch today. I have attached both the OEM and the modified tunes for that truck and this morning’s scan on the way to work. The Modified OEM 8 is what I have done on my own. I can’t wait to see how bad off it is. This is very helpful. Thank you again.

Greg Romans

Tuner in Training
    Russ K

Are the changes you made just one of the first things you do by default? Or, how do you determine that those changes needed to be changed?

The changes are to eliminate the PE delay, and to command a 12.75 AFR when in PE. You need a wideband to adjust
    the Maf table to get the actual AFR to match.

You can use my Vortec .cfg file for scanning. Just insert your brand of wideband in the table display.
    I use the FJO Racing wideband. It has been trouble free for over 4 years.

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    Thank you. I will give it a try, and I will start shopping for a wideband.

Potential Tuner
    I am also battling a tune on a 99 Tahoe, the current tune is from JET and seems to be some of my issues, misfire, running rough etc... i am hoping if i do purchase HPT that I will be able to figure this stuff out..