Thread: new cam and having issues

new cam and having issues

So i just installed my streetsweeper HT and im having issues tuneing it. everytime i start it is searches very bad for idle, will stall if i dont tap the gas. Also when i come to a stop it does the same thing. could someone take a look to see what i should change. Also the MAP looks screwy but that may be the cam? i dono....

BTW im tuneing the MAF

Cam specs? I put a 242/256 .649 on a 112 and b4 my tune I did have to touch the throttle for start-up, but then would settle down to the 950rpm I gave it. U not still trying to Idle at 650 are u Remember the map now has narrower values (kpa) to control idle as well as transition from idle to PERCIEVED load. So just how big is the cam, and what kpa do u see at the lowest rpm it will idle at, and, what is that rpm? NOT saying I have your answer, but more info needed.
    06 Z06 ETP heads, 244/256 hyd. roller, crower stainless shaft rockers, Kooks stepped race headers,elec. w/p, 160 stat, vararam, ram dual disk, ported intake and t-body, 100 shot spray until the 441 goes together http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm1hrBcq63U

2016 Callaway Z06 a8 3lz zo7
    Heads, cam, headers, 2.3L s/c, 9.5 lower/2.625upper, meth, 103mm t-body,
    Stock high and low fuel system for now (I know right?)

Ya it's definantly not that big, Specs: 228*-232*-111*-.612"-.600" I worked on it a bunch more this weekend and got all the MAF and VE pretty dialed in.

Right now I only am having an issue at idle, Im not sure if it's normal but whats happening is the spark adv jumpes up and down as the engine is romping at idle. it's not the entire time though as maybe 1/4 of the time the spark flattens out and the idle seems more linerar.

The other issue is when i hit the clutch so the revs drop to idle, it drops to as low as 300rpm then jumps back up to the right RPM then back and forth for a couple more seconds then stays at the right idle eventualy. I believe it has something to do with the adaptive spark coastdown settings but i have NO idea what to change exactly.

Right now i have the idle RPM set to 875. my only engine mods are JBA shortys, JBA catted mids, K&N drop-in, and a vector mortorsports HSRK.

It would be great if there was a spark tuning how-to

deaden the over/under spark params in the lowest rpm error cells.
    Always Support Our Troops!

which one of the 3, P/N Gear or coast? and should i mess with the idle spark advance?

Senior Tuner
    Sounds like you need to do what I did for an LS2 with 228/232 112 lsa.

Basically, if you PM me I'll send you my TBSS tune to go by when I get back to my regular PC with email.

Sorry for the late post. I had the same problem with a very large cam and solved it with Final Idle Airflow incr to reduce the idle seeking. Try + 10% at 1200 and +50% at all points below. Solved it nicely. Rock solid idle now.

Thanks to BBA giving me some "tips" i got my idle almost perfect, it no longer drops way down when i hit the clutch and when im at a light waiting the spark tends to stay much more steady. I just have to tweek my final airflow cuz when i let off the gas it will still act like it's holding the gas for a split second, should be no problem though

Senior Tuner
    The truck I tuned has an auto, so we didn't notice that. You might try tweaking the DFCO a bit to come in at a higher speed and stay in a little longer.

Quote Originally Posted by LSXGOAT
    Ya it's definantly not that big, Specs: 228*-232*-111*-.612"-.600" I worked on it a bunch more this weekend and got all the MAF and VE pretty dialed in.

Right now I only am having an issue at idle, Im not sure if it's normal but whats happening is the spark adv jumpes up and down as the engine is romping at idle. it's not the entire time though as maybe 1/4 of the time the spark flattens out and the idle seems more linerar.

The other issue is when i hit the clutch so the revs drop to idle, it drops to as low as 300rpm then jumps back up to the right RPM then back and forth for a couple more seconds then stays at the right idle eventualy. I believe it has something to do with the adaptive spark coastdown settings but i have NO idea what to change exactly.

Right now i have the idle RPM set to 875. my only engine mods are JBA shortys, JBA catted mids, K&N drop-in, and a vector mortorsports HSRK.

It would be great if there was a spark tuning how-to
    I just had a StreetSweeper-HT installed, and came here to find a solution to that exact problem. I couldn't have described it better myself. Could either you or BBA be persuaded to pass on the secret? Now if i could just get it to start on the first crank too, I'd be all set

Gerry

06-M6 GTO - StreetSweeper HT, Volant CAI, Kooks LT's w/cats, H-pipe, stock catback

Senior Tuner
    I have no problems sharing, it's not secret I have posted the method a few times here lately. If you want, PM your email addy and I'll send you the tune that fixed it for the TBSS with a big cam.

Quote Originally Posted by BBA
    I have no problems sharing, it's not secret I have posted the method a few times here lately. If you want, PM your email addy and I'll send you the tune that fixed it for the TBSS with a big cam.
    Thanks, I'll do that. Since I made that post, I've seen your others here. I made the timing table adjustments, but haven't found the sweet spot on the idle seeking yet. It might help to look at someone else's because I have no idea what the tuner changed from stock, if anything.

Gerry

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by BBA

If you wouldn't mind, I would love to look at it too. I'm PM'ing you my email address. TIA
    2011 Silverado ECSB 4x4 5.3, 6L80, Magnaflow cat-back, Airaid CAI.

Gone but not forgotten. '02 Avalanche 5.3, Vortech supercharged, 3.12 pulley, 10 psi boost, SMC meth injection, 212/218 .558/.563 115LSA cam, shorty headers, off-road Y-pipe, 3" elec. cutout.