Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding a gm S/C to a 2.2 Ecotec

Tuner in Training

Adding a gm S/C to a 2.2 Ecotec

I want to add a gm supercharger to my 2003 cavalier auto. Has anyone done this and setup Hp on it? I assume it would be a fake 2 bar setup. Could anybody post a basic tune for this setup. Ideally I want to install the s/c and drive to work the next day. Or should I get the gm reflash and see if hp can crack it? If I use the gm reflash can I still reflash it with hp back to stock or a 2 bar fake setup?

Ps how do I adjust the boost levels? what is the min/max boost I can get from the basic gm s/c?
    2003 Cavalier 2.2 L4. Modified Intake and throttle body. Header and 2000 watts of boost in the trunk.

If you use the GM Reflash, HPT will NOT work.... You could do fake the 2bar. I have not done one of these with the SC yet, but will be doing one in the near future.. The reflash is only good for so much...

P&P Tuning

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by strider
    I want to add a gm supercharger to my 2003 cavalier auto. Has anyone done this and setup Hp on it? I assume it would be a fake 2 bar setup. Could anybody post a basic tune for this setup. Ideally I want to install the s/c and drive to work the next day. Or should I get the gm reflash and see if hp can crack it? If I use the gm reflash can I still reflash it with hp back to stock or a 2 bar fake setup?

Ps how do I adjust the boost levels? what is the min/max boost I can get from the basic gm s/c?
    adjusting boost levels is a matter of swapping the pulley (and getting the appropriate sized belt afterwards) on the supercharger. smaller pulley = more boost, larger pulley = less boost.

the GM reflash for the supercharger kit, to my knowledge, locks out stuff like hptuners, so you'd need to get a 2bar sensor and wire that in w/ your ECM, then tune away w/ HPT - that'd be my guess anyway.
    The '07 Aura XR
    [In] XM ExpressEZ
    [Next] intake res delete, Tint, Eibachs

The Procharged Ion - SMP Stage 2 QC
    20/5 tint, SPS stb, CF dash, reflective bumper insert, 62mm TB, RL plugs, masked corners, progress rsb, RL fsb, 2.5" cat-back, triple pod w/ Boost, FPG, LC-1 & XD-16, filled front & rear mounts, pclear shorty shift, Procharged, Eibach Pros, 8k HIDs - 188.28whp / 175.03wtq, NO TUNE

Tuner in Training
    thanx for the help. Doesn't the gm kit with a new sensor or do I use the old one? What I mean by adjusting boost is that apparently when using a fake 2 bar you must add a little boost at a time to adjust the higher settings in your tables. So how do I do this? Is there some kind of blow off valve that I can use to slowly increase boost from 1psi - max?

Can I use another program besides excel to make table changes?

What about doing air/fuel changes as well?

How can I add a guage to measure boost?

sorry for all the questions.
    Last edited by strider; 01-26-2007 at 05:31 PM.
    2003 Cavalier 2.2 L4. Modified Intake and throttle body. Header and 2000 watts of boost in the trunk.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by strider
    ...How can I add a guage to measure boost?...
    get a boost gauge. taps off the intake manifold.

Advanced Tuner
    I believe the SC kit for the cavy is the M62 which I believe has a redline of 14000 rpms. Which basically means a 2.7 is just under that at 7k engine rpms. 2.6 and lower are into the redline area and can cause problems like overheating which will cause the bearings to wear faster or worse seize. But yea a 2.7 is the max which on a cobalt with a cat reads 20psi or cat punched out reads 15psi (I know I did it both ways.) Good luck. BTW I know nothing of what is included with the cavy sc kit, this is just what I know on the Cobalts/Ions.
    06 Cobalt SS SC
    2.7 pulley
    42.5lb Injectors
    HPT VCM Suite tuned
    Custom SRI
    Tuned
    13.701 @ 103 Mph
    Best 1/4 mile Stock
    14.295 @ 102 Mph

02 TURBO Cavy 2200
    Finished
    Times coming soon

Potential Tuner

Taking on the SRT-4

I am looking to be competitive with an SRT-4 with a 2003 Pontiac Sunfire 5 Spd 2.2 Ecotec engine with the GM part # 17800003 Supercharger kit, the SRT-4 Champion spark plugs to drop it 1 degree, a 2 1/4" exhaust system, and a cold air intake system, along with a coil over syspension system from TEIN. What else could I do to be more competitive with the SRT-4? Any suggestions?

Advanced Tuner
    well I think your in the wrong forums Lol. but stock SRT4s run same as stock SS's which is 14.4 with a pretty good driver some have hit lower, so "beating" a stock one isn't very hard, but if it's modified then it depends on how modified, since they can go into the 10's. I know average ones here run 12's-13's. And also it depends on if your on highway or stoplight. But assuming your a good driver used to driving a low traction high torque car, a S/C kit with a 2.7 and upgraded internals will get you going. But that's assuming you can drive it.
    06 Cobalt SS SC
    2.7 pulley
    42.5lb Injectors
    HPT VCM Suite tuned
    Custom SRI
    Tuned
    13.701 @ 103 Mph
    Best 1/4 mile Stock
    14.295 @ 102 Mph

02 TURBO Cavy 2200
    Finished
    Times coming soon

Potential Tuner
    I kind of have the same question as what started this thread so I figured id post here instead of starting a new one, but has anyone posted a good base tune for the l61 supercharger kit? And how difficult is it to do the fake 2 bar, i've read the post on how to do it and it looks relatively easy but i'd rather have something to work off of than to try to do it on my own the first time.

Advanced Tuner
    It's not hard to do your self, the fake 2 bar guide explains it all. Takes maybe 10 minutes to get a baseline if you use excel. After that it's the same as tuning.
    06 Cobalt SS SC
    2.7 pulley
    42.5lb Injectors
    HPT VCM Suite tuned
    Custom SRI
    Tuned
    13.701 @ 103 Mph
    Best 1/4 mile Stock
    14.295 @ 102 Mph

02 TURBO Cavy 2200
    Finished
    Times coming soon

2 bar is awesome dont listen to shifted tho. make your own variants that arent exactly half. or you vacuum will be all messed up at low rpms.

Shifted 34/2= 17kpa a bit off and most tables dont go this low.
    Real life 34/x= 25kpa (what a 2bar reads at 34 kpa) other than that its worth it.
    2006 SS Cobalt SC
    Stage 2 ZZP Cams
    Headers, 3.0" Full ZZP Exhaust
    60lb inj. Intake.
    2.8 Pulley
    72# Lb. Supertech Springs
    LNF Ext Valves and lashers
    Cobre H/E, option B.
    Torque Damper
    HPTuned.
    Bitchin'

Last edited by Garrett; 09-18-2007 at 07:08 PM.

Last edited by Garrett; 09-18-2007 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett
    Is it possible to had this reflash?

Is it possible to overwrite on the SC reflash from GM?
    As stated in my first post, no...

P&P Tuning

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett
    Does someone here is able to share a 2.5 bar fake Mapping? for 2003-04 cavalier?

I wouldn't bother with the 2bar conversion. It's a supercharger, you can tune it as if it's just a bigger engine. The airflow increases as rpm increases and it's always consistent unlike a turbo. I've had several others say the same thing and tuning it as such has worked well enough for me.

I finally understand how to do it and run really strong

Just throwing something out here for discussion. The LN2 guys are using the LD9 SC reflash sucessfully to tune their cars.....anybody attempted to run an Eco with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Hewitt View Post
    Just throwing something out here for discussion. The LN2 guys are using the LD9 SC reflash sucessfully to tune their cars.....anybody attempted to run an Eco with it?
    I have yet to get it to work on the Eco....

P&P Tuning