Thread: 2003 Silverado electric fan swap questions

Tuner

2003 Silverado electric fan swap questions

Im going to be doing some work for a customer and he has installed the Holley intake with the 102mm TB on his 5.3. so now the mechanical fan is in the way of the air intake. He wants to go with either a smaller fan (dont think this is possible) or electric fan setup. Ive seen where you can buy the harnesses and run electric fans for GM truck and use these. Can you tune the ECM to turn the electric fans on? Or is there a better way to convert to electric fans? thanks in advance!!!

Senior Tuner
    Yes the ECM can be configured to turn on the fans. It's pretty easy in a 2003 since they have the A/C pressure sensor.

I sell a couple of kits that do this. There are several kits on the market. I've seen 15rwhp on the low end to up to 35 rwhp going to electric fans. Its a good bang for the buck.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Senior Tuner
    Didn't you say you were a World Class GM tech at a Chevy dealer? Have you never seen a 05, 06, or 07 Classic 1500 with a 4.8 or 5.3? They all came wit E Fans. Pretty much the same body style as 03.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    Didn't you say you were a World Class GM tech at a Chevy dealer? Have you never seen a 05, 06, or 07 Classic 1500 with a 4.8 or 5.3? They all came wit E Fans. Pretty much the same body style as 03.
    I am indeed a world class tech for GM. My question was mainly geared towards the tuning aspect of making the fans work. Im assuming you copy the tables from another vehicle that came with OE electric fans. Ive already sourced the fan assembly and wiring with relays etc.

Tuner in Training
    Do you need to buy credits just to activate the two pins in the ECU cable to work the fan? Or can this be done without buying credits?

Quote Originally Posted by _Bowser_ View Post
    Do you need to buy credits just to activate the two pins in the ECU cable to work the fan? Or can this be done without buying credits?
    You have to read the file from the PCM, make the edits, and then license the file before it can be written back in.