Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L86 to L8T swap and tune

Potential Tuner

L86 to L8T swap and tune

Has anybody done a swap from a L86 to a L8T, and have a tune file for it? Personal vehicle, 2015 gmc 1500 with 6.2 and 8 speed transmission, that dropped a valve and L86 are impossible to get currently but can get an L8T next day, and they are significantly cheaper. Was thinking of buying and L8t and swapping camshaft out to a LT5 cam and new Valve springs as I under stand the LT5 cam is basically the same as L86 without AFM.

Tuner in Training
    Did you end up going with a L8T vs. a L86? I know the biggest difference is the iron block in the L8T vs. aluminum in the L86.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GMTECH12 View Post
    Has anybody done a swap from a L86 to a L8T, and have a tune file for it? Personal vehicle, 2015 gmc 1500 with 6.2 and 8 speed transmission, that dropped a valve and L86 are impossible to get currently but can get an L8T next day, and they are significantly cheaper. Was thinking of buying and L8t and swapping camshaft out to a LT5 cam and new Valve springs as I under stand the LT5 cam is basically the same as L86 without AFM.
    We've done several L8T swaps at my shop. My daily driver is a 2016 GMC Denali that I swapped an L8T into. The engine was pretty much a direct swap. The only things that changed were the vacuum pump had to be deleted, and the engine oil dipstick is different on the L8T.

It's a blast to drive. It has great torque and drops the compression ratio from 11.5 to 10.8. I ran 93 octane in the original L86, but just 87 octane in the L8T. The rwhp on the chassis dyno was nearly the same (366 for the L86 and 373 for the L8T), but the torque jumped from 401 ftlbs to 440 ftlbs!

I'll post a copy of my tune tomorrow.

Senior Tuner
    Here's the calibration file that I am currently running on my 16 model with L8T.

2016gmcdenali66Lkwtruckmoddyno.hpt

Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    We've done several L8T swaps at my shop. My daily driver is a 2016 GMC Denali that I swapped an L8T into. The engine was pretty much a direct swap. The only things that changed were the vacuum pump had to be deleted, and the engine oil dipstick is different on the L8T.

It's a blast to drive. It has great torque and drops the compression ratio from 11.5 to 10.8. I ran 93 octane in the original L86, but just 87 octane in the L8T. The rwhp on the chassis dyno was nearly the same (366 for the L86 and 373 for the L8T), but the torque jumped from 401 ftlbs to 440 ftlbs!

Man, I remember the good ol' days back when I had 3 or 4 local yards I could visit any time I wanted. All gone now, nothing that sells to the public within 90 miles in any direction. I am so very confused how that happened in rural Mississippi.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Man, I remember the good ol' days back when I had 3 or 4 local yards I could visit any time I wanted. All gone now, nothing that sells to the public within 90 miles in any direction. I am so very confused how that happened in rural Mississippi.
    I agree. I spent a lot of hours in the local yards around north MS. You just never knew what you'd find. I miss those days.

Tuner in Training

What cam?

Are you running the stock cam or the LT5 cam

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by worldtransfreight View Post
    Are you running the stock cam or the LT5 cam
    I'm running the stock L8T cam in this one.

Tuner in Training

Any noticeable weight difference going to the L8T? Stance difference or drivability?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Any noticeable weight difference going to the L8T? Stance difference or drivability?
    Nothing that I've noticed at all.

Tuner in Training
    Nothing that I've noticed at all.
    Since the L8T doesn't have the provisions for the vacuum pump are you using the Corvette pump or something else?

Hello, this is my first time using this forum/posting whatever it?s called. I am in the process of swapping L86 to L8T. 2015 Escalade ESV 4x4. Lost oil pressure, died, AFM/DOD failure bla bla. Engine died and left me riding motorcycle to work. On 02/23/23 as I was traveling southbound on I-35W in Fort Worth during rush hour traffic a construction worker pulled out in front of me from the wall in the median. He was leaving work in his personal vehicle and could not see me over the wall. So, now I am swapping this engine with one hand by myself. I just need a little help here if you will. Water pump appears to be different and seems self explanatory. The questions I am hoping you can answer for me are about the valley cover being different and how to tune the ECM. The driver side valve cover has a different hose barb and may swap over fine. The valley cover has an additional sensor and hose barb on the front of it. Do I need to swap the valley covers or can I use the one already installed on the L8T? Once installed, how do I tune the ECM? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

It?s been about two months since the swap. I got an L8T out of a 2023 Chevy 3500 with one mile on it. Engine was taken from a vehicle that was wrecked after loading it on truck at the factory. It seems to be doing just fine. Not leaking a drop and have had zero issues. It does feel slightly slower than the L86 with similar torque.

Potential Tuner
    Good day to Kevin and all Members I'm new to the forum and your L8T swap caught my attention because my L86 block just crap out.
    I was wondering if you have a step by step list for the swap since that will be my first. also what app do I need to open
    your calibration file, my apple laptop won't open it after download.
    any and all input from my fellow tuner head are welcome.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by achanty1 View Post
    Good day to Kevin and all Members I'm new to the forum and your L8T swap caught my attention because my L86 block just crap out.
    I was wondering if you have a step by step list for the swap since that will be my first. also what app do I need to open
    your calibration file, my apple laptop won't open it after download.
    any and all input from my fellow tuner head are welcome.
    I'll be glad to help. You'll need to load HP Tuners software onto your laptop in order to view the file.

What vehicle are you swapping the L8T into?

Potential Tuner
    Got an unlocked ecm for my L8t is there a way to install it without a dealer tool?

Potential Tuner
    Douse anyone have a suggest
    For a tune to run on a stock L8t?

Potential Tuner
    I'll be glad to help. You'll need to load HP Tuners software onto your laptop in order to view the file.

What vehicle are you swapping the L8T into?
    Thanks for the response Kevin.
    I am planning on replacing a L86 from a 2014 1500.
    However if I can't get my hand on a L8T I will settle for a Lt1.

Asking for help locating one in South Florida.

Potential Tuner

Kevin could you please Send me a PM couple quick questions on identical Swap

Potential Tuner
    My trucks getting a new L8T motor my L86 dropped a valve. I?m going with a BTR stage 3 N/A cam.
    I?ll post some results here after, adding kook longtubes
    Will my harness need any modifications?
    Last edited by L8t2015denali; 12-23-2023 at 11:39 PM.