Thread: 5.3 swap first start truck norris cam

Tuner in Training

5.3 swap first start truck norris cam

Hello All, I have been working on rebuilding and swapping a 99 5.3/ 4l60e into my 89 k1500 Silverado. I am almost ready to attempt first start and are needing some advice on doing that safely tune wise.
    Engine specs are 99 5.3 fresh rebuild bored .20 over stock bottom end otherwise. BTR Truck Norris cam, BTR .560 springs, BTR 7.40 pushrods, Summit LS7 lifters, factory graphite head gaskets (862 notch heads)
    12613412 50lb injectors from Glenns Automotive Performance ( fingers crossed), 1-3/4 long tube headers, catless y-pipe, magnaflow single exhaust. I will attatch my current tune file with the injectors added to it, any help is greatly appreciated !!!

99 add 12613412 injectors.hpt

You're going to need to up the idle rpm a decent amount, probably to around 700-750rpm when warm, it won't idle at 525. Add some base running airflow as well.

Cat over temp (COT) is still on, turn that off.

The over/underspeed spark correction tables will want to be around +/- 8 degrees, so the timing swing isn't very big. Set the idle timing to around 20ish degrees to start.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    5FDP thanks for the quick responce,
    I have the Base idle table increased 200 RPM, Base running airflow increased 20 percent, COT turned off.
    On the over/underspeed tables would i just make the values that are higher than 8 equal 8 and leave the rest? Also on the idle timing, would I change that in the idle areas of the idle spark advance in drive/park both?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Ballsmcgee; 08-26-2022 at 12:19 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballsmcgee View Post
    5FDP thanks for the quick responce,
    I have the Base idle table increased 200 RPM, Base running airflow increased 20 percent, COT turned off.
    On the over/underspeed tables would i just make the values that are higher than 8 equal 8 and leave the rest? Also on the idle timing, would I change that in the idle areas of the idle spark advance in drive/park both?
    I make all my timing tables the same personally. High octane, In-Gear and Park/Neutral. I have never found a reason for anything else with the exception of adding 3-5 degrees at idle in drive on some cams way larger than yours to help prevent a tendency of stalling when shifted into gear. In those situations I shoot fpr the timing it idles best at in-gear then retard the Park/Neutral table only around the idle area.

As for the over/under, I multiply the whole table by a percentage, usually around 50% for a decent cam.
    Last edited by Fast4.7; 08-26-2022 at 06:35 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast4.7 View Post
    I make all my timing tables the same personally. High octane, In-Gear and Park/Neutral. I have never found a reason for anything else with the exception of adding 3-5 degrees at idle in drive on some cams way larger than yours to help prevent a tendency of stalling when shifted into gear. In those situations I shoot fpr the timing it idles best at in-gear then retard the Park/Neutral table only around the idle area.

As for the over/under, I multiply the whole table by a percentage, usually around 50% for a decent cam.
    I seen on another recent post you are familiar with my cam setup. Do i change just the idle portion (say 0-800 rpm) of those tables to 20 degrees? Do i need to change the low octane table at all? And change the over/under tables by 50 percent or a lesser value?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    You're going to need to up the idle rpm a decent amount, probably to around 700-750rpm when warm, it won't idle at 525. Add some base running airflow as well.

Cat over temp (COT) is still on, turn that off.

The over/underspeed spark correction tables will want to be around +/- 8 degrees, so the timing swing isn't very big. Set the idle timing to around 20ish degrees to start.
    I have the Base idle table increased 200 RPM, Base running airflow increased 20 percent, COT turned off. i also added 2 degrees to the idle areas in the idle spark advance tables in both drive and park

99 start up-1.hpt

Give it a whirl, see how it does.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Give it a whirl, see how it does.
    Man it fired right up! I cant get my wideband to stay connected when logging. After i start the log it disappears. Im connected over serial.

Tuner in Training
    Man it fired right up! I cant get my wideband to stay connected when logging. After i start the log it disappears. Im connected over serial.
    Plug in wideband serial first, then the hptuners.

I had the same issue that's how I resolved it.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by LSROVER View Post
    Plug in wideband serial first, then the hptuners.

I had the same issue that's how I resolved it.
    I tried restarting the computer with it plugged in but as soon as i start logging it still goes away. I believe i have a driver issue with the cable i have.

Tuner in Training
    I tried restarting the computer with it plugged in but as soon as i start logging it still goes away. I believe i have a driver issue with the cable i have.
    With laptop on, Ignition on, Wideband on... Try plugging wideband serial in first. I've tried what you did above that makes no difference. I spent a lot of time figuring this out as there was no actual resolution posted online.

Tuner in Training
    With laptop on, Ignition on, Wideband on... Try plugging wideband serial in first. I've tried what you did above that makes no difference. I spent a lot of time figuring this out as there was no actual resolution posted online.
    ok thanks, ill try that this evening

Tuner in Training
    I downloaded the appropriate driver as well as connected serial cable first and it worked correctly this time. Thank you sir

Tuner in Training
    So after getting the wideband to stay connected, i was able to pull a short idle log. Not sure if the wideband is reading correctly but it is reading.
    I have attached a log below, could someone tell me if i need different channels or anything. Any info is appreciated

warm start w-wb.hpl