Thread: Gm LS2 E40 OS question manual swap

Potential Tuner

Gm LS2 E67 OS question manual swap

Hi, I'm currently building a car for myself (BMW 135 with TBSS 2008 ls2) E67 ECM, I got the car running already but only for the initial start-up to test my standalone harness. I have currently the TBSS file which is an automatic transmission but my vehicle is swapped with a Nissan manual transmission. I read at multiple places that the easiest way to flash the ECM is with an OEM file of a manual transmission vehicle. I have access to J2524 and other programming tools but is it the only way to perform the manual swap? Also, someone can tell me which OS I can use.
    Last edited by genuineauto; 08-17-2022 at 10:49 AM.

2006 SSR manual trans

Use SPS/TIS/whatever they're calling it now with 1GCES14HX6B121492 or 1GCES14H36B121608, both are M6 trucks.

Hang on... 2008 LS2? Did you change the crank reluctor & cam gear? E40 only, ONLY, works with 24x/1x. Unless you have one of those dumb converter boxes. In which case you shoulda just used an E38 or E67.

Potential Tuner
    My mistake ECM is an E67, not an E40 sorry I look up so many different things in the last few days

Then you're pretty screwed! The only E67 manual trans options are for '09-up, and to use one of those OSes you'd need a different service number ECM.

Allegedly, 2009 Colorado 5.3L could be had with a manual trans, but I've never seen one or a tune file/VIN from one. If you ever found one it'd still need the later 127lb-limit E67 though.

Potential Tuner
    Ok and what about tuning my current file? With everything I read, I'm still not sure if it's possible without changing Oses. I wanted to run that ECM temporarily because the best option for this swap would be the Holley terminator but $$$ I was hoping to get it running and enjoying it a little and later on buy a Holley.

As far as I'm aware nobody has found a way to make an auto trans Gen4 read a hardwired VSS. In the auto trans setup VSS goes to the TCM and TCM sends vehicle speed to the ECM over CAN. Only the manual trans OS will work with VSS hardwired to the ECM.

Potential Tuner
    What ECM and wiring harness would be the easiest to work with that TBSS engine, I'm using factory TB and all other factory sensors

2010-up E38 from something like a LS3 Camaro would probably be the most universal. All of the manual trans E67s of that year range would be from supercharged stuff, dunno what kind of issues you might hit using one of those with N/A. You would be able to keep the current harness though.

TB & pedal interchange/compatibility I don't know the specifics on, but should not be too hard to research. If the stuff you have now won't carry over the 'correct' TB for the later model stuff is the same bolt pattern and will fit the TBSS intake just fine. It would be electrical incompatibility that'd make it not work, not physical.

Senior Tuner
    It's OK to run a manual transmission behind a auto ECM file. It will work in a pinch.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Potential Tuner
    My idea was to copy a 2007 corvette file to my Tbss file because I have a corvette intake and cam on that engine right now. What should I change in the tune file to make it work ok for now? The car start and run right now but I have only manifold on so no 02 sensor for now and no maf. I also have issue with TB and the pedal because I'm using the BMW pedal which works when the engine is not running but once I start it I give one shot of throttle and the pcm cancel it after, I got it working yesterday a couple time but because it is a BMW pedal I wasn't sure if it because of the pedal or the tune. When I use the VCM scanner I can see VSS at 255 km/h. I spend a lot of time on that harness I would like to use it if possible but if its impossible I understand.

Is there a solution to the VSS thing? Is it a secret?

Potential Tuner
    I just read on EFI forum some people installed the TCM back only for the VSS but yes I would be interested to see if I could connect it directly to the PCM. What Pin on the E67 should the VSS be for a manual transmission?

Potential Tuner
    I just look in the Hp tuner Repository and there is a tune file for 2009 corvette E67 ecu manual it is for 6.2 but could it work?

You can't put a 2009 E67 tune file in a 2008 E67. They are different hardware.

You can wire in the VSS to the ECM pins but it will not read anything if it still has the auto trans operating system. Once you have found a manual trans OS and an ECM that can run that OS, you then need to use the pinouts from the vehicle the OS came from. Some of these pins are software-configured and change depending on which OS is being used.

2009 Corvette (LS9 is E67, LS3/LS7 is E38)

screenshot.17-08-2022 21.04.06.png

Potential Tuner
    ok so basically I need to find a use ECM e67 2009 or more? change my pin out and load the different OS with manual trans and after hp tuner.

OS first, then you need the ECM service number that fits the application the OS is from. There are several different service numbers and you need whatever one is compatible with the OS/VIN you want to use.

And any GM Gen4 with the integrated throttle controls has to use GM SPS for initial programming/OS change. HP Tuners for tuning changes after that.

I would be real careful about plowing ahead with using a supercharged OS on a non-supercharged app. More research required, questions I can't answer. I have seen some real horror shows here with people trying similar things and ending up with what seem to be unsolvable problems. You might be better off paying someone who does this as their day job to get you sorted out.

Potential Tuner
    My day job is computer and electronic I'm just not familiar with gm stuff it is my first LS that's exactly why I want to learn on my own vehicle but I understand sometimes there is some limit. I'm getting pricing for the Holley I need right now but I don't want to give up on that ECM, for now, I will leave it like to finish my setup, and once everything is installed correctly exhaust and cooling system I will see which direction I go. I kept TCM and harness when I made the standalone harness for fear to have an issue like this so I still have the possibility to use the TCM signal if I really want to. In the meantime, I'm thinking to copy the graph and parameter of a corvette manual to my TBSS file only to drive the car in and out of my shop and see how it will run and which error I will get. Im not scared of trying things so if guys have some idea to bring me let me know I have excellent skills in electronics and I have access to multiple programation tools Kess and other.

Potential Tuner
    What did you end up doing? If you happen to read this, please and thank you.