Thread: X36 Exceed Number Of Attempts (NOT TUNER LOCKED: I TUNED IT)

X36 Exceed Number Of Attempts (NOT TUNER LOCKED: I TUNED IT)

Hey guys, been a long time since I've been on here, and I have new one for you.... I know that there is going to be about 6 people saying it is a tuner locked PCM, but I can guarantee it is not. For everyone that says that it is, they owe me a dollar.

Here is the scenario:

Customer comes in last week: I last touched up the tune about 4 years ago. No one has touched the car since. 2000 Pontiac Firebird with 17k miles. I pull the file, save it to the laptop, make my changes to the file for the changes he has done, I save that file with a new name. I try writing it and I get the error "x36 Exceeded Number of Attempts." I then remove the PCM and try my bench harness. Same thing.

No biggie, I've started to see these more and more as these older computers are starting to show their age. We get a new computer delivered on Saturday. Last night, I pull the file out of the new computer, and I write the file I wanted to put into it the previous week, and it loads without a problem on my bench harness. Customer picks it up the new PCM this morning, brings the car for me to get it on the dyno this evening. This evening, I log the file, pull the file, make changes, and then attempt to load the file into the new computer that the car drove here with....

"x36 Error: Exceeded Number of Attempts." Pull the PCM out of the car to try on my bench harness; "x36 Error: Exceeded Number of Attempts."

Probe the car's PIN20 wire (PCM BATTERY) and it's at a 12.12 volts. I have no issue getting another computer, but I do not want to do each rendition of the tune with a new computer, or having to use the bench harness to load each rendition. Worst case, I will just run new wires from the PCM to an auxiliary ALDL port and bypass that wiring in the car.

(It should also be noted that the same laptop and HPTuners cable was used on 6 other cars between last Thursday and this evening without a problem.)

Everything is telling me that it is something with the car. I've had three "x36 Errors" in the past 2 years where I just changed the PCM out and continued tuning without a problem. This is unusual because this car has done it twice with two different computers back to back.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.... If you're right, you can collect your prize from those that said it was tuner locked.

Mike
    Last edited by TheDastardlyDuo; 08-16-2022 at 08:04 PM.
    Have a few thousand files I can share. I'm not on here often so please email me. [email protected]

Senior Tuner
    If you can read it it's not tuner locked. That's all I got except I'm going to guess it's a MPVI2.

Was definitely our old and trusty MPVi-Pro from circa 2005.
    Last edited by TheDastardlyDuo; 08-18-2022 at 10:39 AM.
    Have a few thousand files I can share. I'm not on here often so please email me. [email protected]

Senior Tuner
    Well it can't be the car if it does it with a bench harness. You're not using one of those shitty 1A power supplies I see a lot of bench harnesses sold with are you? You want to send me one that won't program? I'd like to play around with it. I have several tools I use. I'll pay shipping.

Last week, the car comes in. Pull the file, make the changes, try to load the file into Computer 1 through the car. I get the "x36 Error." Take Computer 1 out to try on the bench harness. I get the "x36 Error." Put Computer 1 back in the car, and he drives takes the car home (trailered).

The new computer (Computer 2) was delivered on Saturday. On Monday evening, I loaded the file into Computer 2 using the bench harness. Customer picks up Computer 2 Tuesday morning, and drives the car to the shop using Computer 2 later that evening. We get the car on the dyno, data log, pull the file, make some changes, and then go to load the file into Computer 2 through the car. This time I get a "x36 Error." Now only 24 hours earlier, I was able to use the bench harness on Computer 2, and get a file into Computer 2. 24 hours later, I get the same error that I got with Computer 1 through the car harness. I take the Computer 2 out of the car to try the bench harness, because just 24 hours earlier, I was able to use the bench harness to load a file in Computer 2. I get the same error with the bench harness again. Put Computer 2 back in the car, check voltage to the PC, 12.12 volts in "run." We take the car off the dyno, and I make this post. Customer drives the car home on Computer 2.

Let me talk to the customer and see if he wants to send one for some diagnosis.
    Last edited by TheDastardlyDuo; 08-18-2022 at 10:24 AM.

Senior Tuner
    I don't need to keep it. I have plenty and can get them cheap enough. I'll send it back when I'm through messing with it if you want. I've just never seen that especially with a P01 and a MPVI1. That combo is usually dead ass reliable unless there is a remote start or aftermarket alarm tapped into the data line on the ALDL, but doesn't explain the bench harness issues. Even aftermarket radios don't effect those vehicles. I can even check the seed/key to see if it is correct.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Did you contact support? If so what is your ticket number?
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Bill,

The owner of the car did contact support and spoke with Eric, who got in touch with me, I do not have a ticket number, but there was no resolution as of last week.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    I don't need to keep it. I have plenty and can get them cheap enough. I'll send it back when I'm through messing with it if you want. I've just never seen that especially with a P01 and a MPVI1. That combo is usually dead ass reliable unless there is a remote start or aftermarket alarm tapped into the data line on the ALDL, but doesn't explain the bench harness issues. Even aftermarket radios don't effect those vehicles. I can even check the seed/key to see if it is correct.
    I just had this happen to another one on Saturday. What's your mailing address so I can send the most recent one to you?

Mike