Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with new beta spark tables

Senior Tuner

Help with new beta spark tables

Anybody have a feel for what effect these tables have? I tried some inconclusive minimal tests but so far note nothing of improvement. Additonally the Bidirectional Max Retard value.

My goal would be to limit TM at launch and shift without totally eliminating.

This screen shot is from a stock 08 Corvette file.

So far as I know those tables affect the maximum timing retardation that can be used so far as TQ Management goes. I have the same problem in some of my tunes, but is correctable. The vehicle should follow the percentage tables for TQ Management.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by 8850 View Post
    Anybody have a feel for what effect these tables have? I tried some inconclusive minimal tests but so far note nothing of improvement. Additonally the Bidirectional Max Retard value.

My goal would be to limit TM at launch and shift without totally eliminating.

This screen shot is from a stock 08 Corvette file.
    Theres a new beta on your customer page that has the axes fixed for these tables, make sure you update.

-Bill
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Theres a new beta on your customer page that has the axes fixed for these tables, make sure you update.

-Bill
    I'll have to try the new beta out. We appreciate all the hard work you guys do! Thanks Bill!

Advanced Tuner
    I've been using the mimimum spark tqmgmt with excellent results. i have mine set at 0* rather than -20*, power downshifts feel great now,especially the 6-2 WOT downshift. i control TM via the TM adder/modifiers, and all the TM switches are active as they came from the factory. this was the only thing missing to control timing on downshifts, and so far it's working great for my application.

Advanced Tuner

-Bill
    Sorry for the hijack, but for some strange reason you have your PM's shut off (one could only imagine why...).

I downloaded this new beta, but it's the same version I already had from 4? weeks ago - 2.23.3742.35115.

Should this new beta be newer than this?

Thanks!

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by waynehartwig View Post
    Sorry for the hijack, but for some strange reason you have your PM's shut off (one could only imagine why...).

I downloaded this new beta, but it's the same version I already had from 4? weeks ago - 2.23.3742.35115.

Should this new beta be newer than this?

Thanks!
    Yes it should be, the reason I have them turned off is I cannot track them(I get people emailing me with software issues that need to be tracked ONLY via email).
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Yes it should be, the reason I have them turned off is I cannot track them(I get people emailing me with software issues that need to be tracked ONLY via email).
    lol I thought it was because of people asking when 2.24 would be available You know, how much longer...

Does the minimum spark torque management value only apply during a torque management event? For example... If I set that number to 24*... will it only impose that minimum value when trying to enable torque management... Leaving DFCO to drop timing to the single digits?

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

By definition, it's the final minimum, so that would be the floor.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Senior Tuner
    DSteck, I tried a +15 and my A6 tranny didn't like that value on downshift. Too abrupt for my liking. Did not bother to try upshift. I'll just have to expriment more. If anybody gets a good handle on some safe values would like to see the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    By definition, it's the final minimum, so that would be the floor.
    I was meaning more for the Torque Management table which only uses ECT as an axis. I'm really only interested in when Torque Management is kicking in, namely the stupid timing dips during light load low rpm cruising with a huge cam.

DSteck, I tried a +15 and my A6 tranny didn't like that value on downshift. Too abrupt for my liking. Did not bother to try upshift. I'll just have to expriment more. If anybody gets a good handle on some safe values would like to see the table.
    I have a manual so no worries there. I need to just get off my ass and start messing with the new tables... but I'm so unmotivated to actually work on my own car.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Advanced Tuner
    I'm using 0* per post#5, no problems at all, my upshift timing is controlled by shift torque factor adder/multiplier and cold multipliers. all my TM switches are set as they came from the factory, i see 9-10* between WOT upshifts (1-2 and 2-3) and around 12* during the 3-4 WOT shift. 0* during WOT downshifts.

See my current tune, i don't have a vette, but the functionaly should be about the same since we share the same trans.
    Last edited by bluegoat06; 09-20-2010 at 01:16 PM.

Senior Tuner
    I'll have to try 0* bluegoat06 for Spark Minimum Torque and see if that helps downshift. Actually my upshifts are pretty good with just shortening my shift times.

I noticed you also have the Minimum Final Spark higher than mine too. Maximum Torque Timing is much less. Are those table stock for your G8? Maybe the difference from an 08 vette and G8.

Advanced Tuner
    Yes, those 2 tables have the stock values in there. the only one i've changed is the minimum final spark tqmgt. i haven't found a reason to use the first 2, and honestly i have no idea how to use them yet, i think max torque timing is MBT spark though.
    Last edited by bluegoat06; 09-20-2010 at 03:50 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bluegoat06 View Post
    Yes, those 2 tables have the stock values in there. the only one i've changed is the minimum final spark tqmgt. i haven't found a reason to use the first 2, and honestly i have no idea how to use them yet, i think max torque timing is MBT spark though.
    I have no idea what the other two do either or how they relate to each other. I'll try 0* in the MFS Tqmgt as you have and see how that works. Probably this weekend before I can get the car out again.

guys it's critical you use the latest beta to tune these files, there was a bug in an early beta that can cause major issues.

The tables are all minimum spark values ie. a lower limit on final spark advance.
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    Chris, i'm using 2.23.3912.28427, is this the most updated version ?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bluegoat06 View Post
    Chris, i'm using 2.23.3912.28427, is this the most updated version ?
    That is the latest as of this morning. It's been available for several days now.

Advanced Tuner
    Good, thanks a lot for the info.