Thread: Timing dropping about 4 deg then slowly adding back in.

Tuner

Timing dropping about 4 deg then slowly adding back in.

5.3/4L60 with mild cam.
    Runs and drives great, but there is a slight timing pull when you hammer the throttle.
    I've zeroed the burst knock table and reduced most of the other knock retard tables. Scanner is not showing any knock reduction.
    Torque limiting has been removed. Another weird thing is I'm getting no data below 60kpa MAP.
    I'm at a loss at where to check next. On this log , the first WOT was reduced to around 2400 RPM. I got a TPS DTC, cleared that, then the second WOT it pulled, but with a slight timing dip.
    Attached is a log and tune.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Setting burst knock to 8.000 turns it off, not 0.00.

Brake torque mngt is still on in the systems options.

My take a few other things. Timing is too high at full throttle, a 5.3 with a mild cam doesn't need 29-30 degrees of timing, it's about done around 25-27 degrees.

You're not logging injector duty cycle and you should be. No way those stock injectors have enough fuel flow in the upper rpm's. You can tell that you o2 sensors are going lean the longer you are in the throttle too. Needs a wideband for sure.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mingus View Post
    5.3/4L60 with mild cam.
    Runs and drives great, but there is a slight timing pull when you hammer the throttle.
    I've zeroed the burst knock table and reduced most of the other knock retard tables. Scanner is not showing any knock reduction.
    Torque limiting has been removed. Another weird thing is I'm getting no data below 60kpa MAP.
    I'm at a loss at where to check next. On this log , the first WOT was reduced to around 2400 RPM. I got a TPS DTC, cleared that, then the second WOT it pulled, but with a slight timing dip.
    Attached is a log and tune.

I didn't see any 4 degree timing drops.

TPS faults in early GEN3's will make the ECM use the idle timing tables. FYI
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner
    Thanks for the replies.
    I must have misread the Burst Knock table. Good catch. I had been bumping the timing table to see if it followed the table, or if something else was pulling it. I'll turn off the Brake torque mngt. and get the Injector Duty Cycle working again.

As for the drop, if you look at the timing right as the pedal is pressed, it goes from around 18, down to around 14.6, then slowly adds from there. You can feel the truck hit strong, then immediately bog slightly, then climb out. The truck in question has a 3.23 rear end, so I'm thinking some of it was that.