Thread: I am in need of some guidance with a 5.3 swap with ax-15 transmission.

Potential Tuner

I am in need of some guidance with a 5.3 swap with ax-15 transmission.

What would be the best way to get the 5.3 to play nice with a 5 speed manual? I was able to get my engine running and idling fairly well, but as soon as I barely start to come up with the clutch it immediately tries to stall. Any advice on a good starting point would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Whoops, forgot to add that it's a 5.3 from a 2004 Suburban.
    Last edited by mcclain92; 06-20-2022 at 02:07 AM. Reason: missing info

You need to Post your Tune, and Log file of this happening.
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Please post up the tune too
    There is a possibility you might need to find a 5.3 Manual Trans file with the same OS and segment swap (I'm green with Swaps), Obviuosly if it was an Auto swap with a manual file a Segment swap would be a Must

Cable or Electric Throttle Body?

Need to get the codes pictured taken care of
    The whole log you never go closed loop, maybe the o2 heater error will prevent closed loop
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Senior Tuner
    One of the first issues is the idle speed is pretty darn low for a manual trans. Typically they are a touch higher than a auto vehicle.

You won't have to do a segment swap or swap the OS but the results might be a little nicer if you start iwth a manual file. If you can't start with a manual file change the transmission type to non electronic auto or manual. Zero out all torque management too.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Potential Tuner
    Jeep cherokee 5.3L 2 Fans enabled and HO2S B1&B2 S2 disable.hpt

Sorry, I thought I did attach the tune. Should be here now. This is my first time tuning something with a computer, so I definitely have very little understanding of what I'm looking at/for. It has an electric throttle body that as far as I can tell is functioning correctly and smoothly. Yes, I agree with the O2 codes being an issue and that's something I'm going to address today. I have done a segment swap for just the transmission control part from a 4.8 liter Silverado, but I'm fairly sure that it'll take more than that though as there are some pretty noticeable differences between the engine control of the two. Haha, well, more than just being a 4.8 vs. a 5.3 anyways.

Potential Tuner
    I'll bump up the idle and get rid of torque management and see what happens. As far as I can tell, there are were no stock manual 5.3's so what would be a good choice for a segment swap? Thanks!

I'll wait for Alvin to jump in, he has much more experience with this.

If I understand Correctly you already swapped in a manual segment from a 4.8?
    I'm guessing that should be okay, but he will know for sure

Senior Tuner
    You should be able to bring over the trans trans diag and the speedo section wouldn't be a bad idea from the same OS 4.8 Manual truck. Leave all the engine stuff alone except for raising the idle.

But this isn't 100% required. Truck 5.3L's are so popular for hotrod swaps and I don't take any special steps when they come in with a manual. A manual will be fine behind a auto OS.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the help! It actually drove around under its own power! Haha, I'm not sure what fixed it. I through so much crap at it something was gonna stick. Also, my O2 problem seems to have resolved itself after I hit it with the multimeter and found no faults. Now I just need to finish hooking up the EVAP stuff and I should be good to go. Again, thank you for the help!