Thread: Cammed LS6: Wants to die when first started, idles perfect after a few seconds

Potential Tuner

Cammed LS6: Wants to die when first started, idles perfect after a few seconds

Just bought a 2005 CTS-V that has been sitting for a good while. Put a new battery, fresh gas and fresh fluids in it. Has bolt ons and a BTR Stage 2 cam with supporting mods. The car runs absolutely perfect with one exception: When first started, the car fires right up, but then seems to choke out, sputter and want to die. If you keep you foot lightly on the gas and hold the rpms around 1200+ it will run fine. After a few seconds you can let off and the idle will drop down to ~950 and idle perfect all day. Shut the car off and try to start it again, same thing all over again. Doesn't matter if cold or hot, or time between start attempts. It almost feels like it is linked to the cluster lights that come on when you first hit the key, as soon as the cluster lights all go out, the car idles perfect. Its like it needs help to idle for the first 5 seconds, then like a switch, it will idle perfect.

I'm not ruling out a mechanical issue, but it seems strange that it runs perfect and will idle perfect all day once its running, and only has trouble once the car has been shut off. Also, for shits and giggles I started the car with the TPS sensor unplugged and it fired right off. Idle went up to 1200, and it threw a CEL of course, but no trouble starting. Leads me to believe it is some sort of airflow problem.

Is there a TPS relearn or something on these cars? What settings should I be looking at in the tune for TPS startup? I've attached a log and the tune if anyone wants to take a look. I appreciate any help.

2005 CTS-V Tune AS PURCHASED.hpt
    Starting issue.hpl

Hard to tell from the log between what it's doing on its own, and what's being done by you (like throttle movements) - add every single valid channel for throttle, APP, idle, and airflow (especially desired idle, and anything to do with adaptive).

My first suspicion given the unknowns above is that the MAF g/s looks high, at around 10g/s where *I think* it has settled into a stable idle - again, hard to tell what it was really doing in the log. MAF should theoretically be 5.5-6g/s at idle, at least something close to that. Check for dead bugs in the MAF is what I'd look for first.