Thread: Smoothing Torque Tables

Tuner in Training

Smoothing Torque Tables

This is a 2014 Copperhead (Mustang) with an FSFD2AA strategy. Car has a VMP Gen3R blower making 25 PSI on kill... about 20 PSI right now. Car has a JLT Super Big Air intake, a VMP 163R throttle body, Comp Stage 3 cams and no VCT (disabled in tune). Cams are locked in and degreed correctly... Mechanically, the engine is on point. Transmission is a built 6R80 automatic with a 3600 stall converter.

My "professional" tune was great for WOT but f*cking abysmal for drivability. The large blower, TB and Cams made it necessary for me to take over tuning and hammer out all of the drivability issues. The car would spit, pop and hucklebuck when transitioning into boost at any throttle pressure. It was more or less completely undrivable.

The car is very torqy and boost is almost instant... Like light switch 0psi or 20/25 psi instantly almost... On the dyno on kill (25psi), it made almost 900 ft-lbs at 4800 rpm.

Been working on it for a couple months now. I've finally gotten the car to run near about perfect... Been working with the MAF, Driver Demand tables, Torque/Inverse Tables, Throttle Body, etc... The car now runs/drives 1000% better; like seriously, "almost" as good as it did stock (both with and without AC running). Boost transition is even like 98% manageable... I can tip in nice and easily and very little to no volatility during the transition... If I were to stop here; I could die a happy man.

However, my torque table(s) are not smooth like the OE/Stock tune, or the majority of the sample tunes that I've been using as points of reference. I can't help but feel that there's more drivability to be gained here if the table is smooth with less interpolation between cells as the car transitions through them.

This first image is my current OP Table. My max IPC Wheel torque errors are less than 300 range (even with WOT pulls). My TB angle errors are less than 0.8 on max average. Everything has 25 hits required in my histograms.

TorqueTable1.pngIPCErrors.pngETCAngleErrors.png

This table is the OE factory table.
    TorqueTable2.png

My questions:
    1. Should I be smoothing the table similar to the OE tables?
    2. How important is it for me to map out the various secondary tables with the cams locked? I've noticed that when "all of the MP tables are enabled", the ECU uses only the MP0 table. Currently, it's still restricted to the Optimized MP table. Seems to me, if it's only going to use MP0, then perhaps it makes sense to leave them all disabled and only use the OP table instead? Or am I way off base here?
    3. Should I be rescaling my tables to 1.8 engine load for 25psi max boost? Everything seems to be fine with it right now at 1.6.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Screamin'04; 05-31-2022 at 09:23 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamin'04 View Post
    1. Should I be smoothing the table similar to the OE tables?
    OK, so I smoothed the OP MP table out pretty good, it does indeed smooth out transitions between cells and net a much smoother idle and throttle response.

I also noticed that my IPC Torque Min/Max tables were not yet RPM normalized... I normalized those and my IPC wheel torque errors are down into the single digits...

TorqueTable3.pngIPCErrors2.png
    Last edited by Screamin'04; 05-31-2022 at 02:32 PM.

Tuner in Training
    what a difference, what method was used for smoothing? did you do simply smooth the entire table? I find that usually causes the lower rows to change alot.