Thread: Where did you start

Potential Tuner

Where did you start

It is interesting to me to know where everyone started learning to tune. Anyone care to share?

On a Grand Prix with a S/C 3800 engine. Very basic computers so I didn't feel overwhelmed while learning, then went on to LS based computers.
    Last edited by 5FDP; 05-10-2022 at 02:05 PM.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Roughly 2004, tuning friends' LS powered cars and my boosted 2V with Sniper Commando tuning(had no idea what I was doing lol) Then got hooked on tuning school, and evans performance and work at a speed shop now for the last few years I still learn new tricks daily! lol
    2000 Camaro SS 408 TH400
    2012 Subaru WRX STI
    2013 Camaro SS
    2001 Corvette Z06

Senior Tuner
    GM Chip tuning in the late 90's
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

1227730 and their lovely output drivers that seemed like they had a 6-month self destruct timer built in.

In 1995 before I was old enough to drive or own a car I was building a small block chevrolet in the living room of my father's house

By 98' I had learned to tune a carb and distributor for a blower engine in a Camaro and had read just about every small block build book out there

In 03' it was twin turbo EFI TPI stand-alone, and I had build a 700R4 to go with it

I recommend everybody start with mechanical control systems and brush up on computer programming before attempting to understand EFI tuning, leaning how engines and computers work individually without each other will help you tune one using a computer after the fact trying to merge the two

Senior Tuner
    Tuning in general, 1971 on a 67 Camaro. Worked at a lawn mower shop with some older guys that were heavily into drag racing and learned a lot from them.

EFI tuning, 2003 a friend bought LS1Edit and didn't have a clue how to use it. He let me figure out how to use it on my car in exchange for teaching him how to use it. I had Autotap for data logging. Bought my own HP Tuners (serial cable) in 2004 and everything just progressed from there. Knew a guy that had a performance shop that primarily worked on Mustangs that bought a Dynojet and I started using it to tune GM vehicles. It's never been a full time job though.

Tuning Addict
    Chainsaws, mower's weedeaters - adjusting carbs, swapping carbs, swapping jugs then seeing what did what from there. Then off to school and to the dealerships being the go to drive-ability guy then to the performance world and evolving from there. Guess I'm the "odd ball"
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC