Thread: Cats vs no cats

Cats vs no cats

My car was tuned without cats, it had a full build motor, American racing long tubes, x pipe to mufflers. I put the American racing high flow cats on to reduce the gas smell. A guy at the track i go to, told me that adding cats will blow up my engine. Does that sound right? The guy i bought it from said it dynoed at 580 wheel with a conservative tune.
    Now I'm wondering if adding the high flow cats will damage the motor.
    2009 Z06 with LS7
    Quality Motorsports Stage 3 Cam (248/265 114+2LSA .650 lift)
    FIC 60lb injectors
    Halltech 108 air intake
    MSD Atomic Airforce Intake
    Nick Williams 102 Throttle Body
    Walbro fuel pump

Quote Originally Posted by stevegressel View Post
    My car was tuned without cats, it had a full build motor, American racing long tubes, x pipe to mufflers. I put the American racing high flow cats on to reduce the gas smell. A guy at the track i go to, told me that adding cats will blow up my engine. Does that sound right? The guy i bought it from said it dynoed at 580 wheel with a conservative tune.
    You won't blow up your engine.
    NASCAR has been using restrictor plates under carbs to reduce engine power to reduce speeds, to reduce severity and number of crashes. This restictor just happens to be on the exhaust side. Only damage will be if you don't change the tune to protect them from overheating/melting and reducing flow to near zero. Just so you know there have been people on here that have adjusted injector timing to reduce the odor. I have personally never done it but have been meaning to as just one of those things to do.

Quote Originally Posted by stevegressel View Post
    No installing the cats should not damage the engine. But if you have a burble tune or COT is disabled you could melt the cats. Might want to have the tune looked at for those reasons. From my experience if you tune is pretty spot on and fuel trims are good you dont get too bad of a smell. Or it could be because I always run e85 and thats why the smell is not that bad.
    2013 CTS-V Coupe M6 - 1 7/8" Headers, 3" x-pipe, stock mufflers, Airaid intake w/green filter, ID1050X injectors, DSXtuning flex fuel kit, DMS under hood tank, griptech 2.4" pulley, solid isolator, 100mm idler, reinforced brick, MM mild catch can, 600whp/630wtq