Thread: maf tuning help needed barely tuned and i seem to have maxed maf grams per second

Tuner in Training

maf tuning help needed barely tuned and i seem to have maxed maf grams per second

it is a 2004 lq4 6 litre out of a suburban it has been swapped into a 1971 ford crew cab
    it has a mild cam dual exhaust
    custom intake tube maf is directly after air filter
    This is my first time tuning attached are my log from maf tuning and one from a earlier ve log as well as the ve tuning file and maf file please let me know how it is looking and what i can do to have the maf not be maxed out any help is greatly appriecated. Also I am using engine management advanced tuning and designing and tuning high performance fuel injection systems by Greg Banish to tune but i could use some advice. also attached is a exel spreadsheet i made to figure out the changes that needed to be made to the maf table.
    2 maf tuning.hpt maf tune file
    26 crew cab ve tuning.hpt ve tune file
    ve13.hpl ve log
    maf1.hpl maf log
    maf 1.xlsx used to figure out changes for maf table
    ve tuning.Layout.xml used to log ve
    ve and maf tuning.Layout.xml used to log maf
    Last edited by jamesv1956; 04-12-2022 at 11:24 PM.

Why would you say the MAF is maxed out?

You only hit a little over 9,000hz, that MAF sensor can do all the way to 12,000hz. The MAF data log is missing a few things too, the one MAF channel isn't working, no engine rpm and knock retard is not there. Looks like it has some knock retard happening with how much it's yanking timing out under load.

The o2 sensor under full throttle is way lean too. I don't have your layout so I don't know if you are logging a wideband sensor or not.

The VE tune and logs aren't in speed density. The MAF sensor isn't failed and the log doesn't show that the MAF is failed. Probably explains why your VE table is so bad looking. There really shouldn't be numbers over 100 and it would be much smoother.

Plus you're out of fuel injector anyway.. It's at 98-99% at only 5,100rpm and that engine will go all the way to 6,000rpm easy with a camshaft.

Double check your fuel pressure too, it must maintain roughly 58psi all the time under heavy load. Do that and get bigger injectors and start back with that.
    Last edited by 5FDP; 04-12-2022 at 10:19 PM.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    ok i am using a wideband when i check codes it says maf is failed and if you look at maf file it is at 512 g per s that is the max. what do i have to do to get the ve tune file into speed density. thank you for your input. if you look towards the end of hertz in tune file you can see what i am talking about. should i post my config file will that help any thing. and my ve tables percent error is very close so i thought i had it quite good. I haven't seen any knock retard on any of my logs so far plus i haven't tuned the spark tables yet would a cam and my other mods make it have knock on the stock spark table? This is the first vehicle that i have ever tuned so thanks for your help
    Last edited by jamesv1956; 04-12-2022 at 10:46 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesv1956 View Post
    ok i am using a wideband when i check codes it says maf is failed and if you look at maf file it is at 512 g per s that is the max. what do i have to do to get the ve tune file into speed density. thank you for your input. if you look towards the end of hertz in tune file you can see what i am talking about. should i post my config file will that help any thing. and my ve tables percent error is very close so i thought i had it quite good. I haven't seen any knock retard on any of my logs so far plus i haven't tuned the spark tables yet would a cam and my other mods make it have knock on the stock spark table? This is the first vehicle that i have ever tuned so thanks for your help
    It really could benefit from larger injectors. The 12613412 GM 50 lb/hr truck injector along with a set of adapters is a very inexpensive upgrade for your application. Injector characterization data is also readily available for these injectors.

As far as your MAF, your MAF table is increased considerably over stock at this point. Just return the MAF flow to stock for now. Focus on dialing in the VE table, and you won't have any problem dealing with the 512 g/s limit.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks so do I have my tune file setup right to tune the ve table or am I missing something

The MAF fail dtc's need to be set to MIL on first error. The check engine code P0103 needs to be present for it to be in speed density.

Then the dynamic airflow high rpm disable needs to be increase to like 7,000rpm.

What I also find weird is that your platform type says "V". This OS is a GMT-800 truck, so I don't know if you changed that but I would change it back if you did. The ETC, ALT and the brake TM are all also populated with the value of "1" in the system options for both "V" and GMT-800.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.