Thread: false knock or knock settings?

Tuner in Training

false knock or knock settings?

I'm trying to figure out if im seeing real knock or false knock in this log. sometimes it'll knock, other times it wont, even under the same conditions.
    in this log it hits 8 degrees while in 4th with lockup at a lower RPM, the engine is under some load but it seems no matter how much timing I take out it still takes 8 degrees and then goes away.
    it also knocks when getting going from a stop, the knock isn't bad enough to cause damage but its still higher than I'd like. I thought i disabled burst knock, and the logs seem to indicate that. but it keeps pulling timing and tapering off as if its prepared for it to knock, not actually seeing knock.

Since this log I've adjusted my PE down a little more, unrelated to the areas affected, but I kept forgetting to make it richer.

the build information is in this thread
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...an-quadrasteer

EDIT:

walked right past this while reading the threads, but its an answer.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...ruck-cam/page2

I have between 1-5 degrees less timing than you do in that spot. That area in the spark map is usually when you are in 3rd or 4th gear in lock up, and doing between 40-55mph. Knock mostly occurs at High Load and Low rpm. If running 93 it might knock a little, if running 87 it can pull 2-5* for knock.
    take more timing out. right on i guess. i figured 10 degrees in that area was pretty low. guess im wrong
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by quadraburb; 03-31-2022 at 02:28 PM.

Tuner in Training
    just shut the knock sensors off and not worry about it

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TT Sleazy View Post
    just shut the knock sensors off and not worry about it
    no thanks.

anyway..

pulled timing all the way to zero in those areas, still knocking to 8 degrees. its gotta be false.
    pulled the cyl vs RPM sensitivity and tip in sense at those areas down a bit, also found missing hardware on the manifold heat shields.
    no more knock reported.

Any kind of exhaust rattle, whether it be those heat shields or simply a the pipe hitting the body or suspension somewhere, can register as knock. So, more than likely by what you describe the heat shields were the issue.