Thread: no rpm signal

Tuner in Training

no rpm signal

Backstory - I have a LM7 5.3 gen3 swapped into a BMW. Car would start and idle for me enough to drive in and out of my garage. I sold my house and had to bring the car to my parents house, this was beginning of January. I drove the car onto the trailer, and backed it off the trailer, no issues. I tried to move it a couple weeks later and I couldn't get it to start up. I started diagnosing now the weather is warmer and am stuck.

The issue I'm having is a crank no start, I didn't have injector pulse which pointed me to rpm signal and discovered I'm not getting an rpm reading.
    What ive done so far:
    checked for rpm reading with vcm as well as a tech 2 scanner - not registering an rpm on either
    ohm tested wiring from ecm to crank sensor - good
    replaced crank sensor - no change
    verified all grounds to the ecm are connected and good
    all 12v constant to ecm is present at all times
    all switched 12v to ecm is present in run and also while cranking
    have dtcs for throttle position sensor, egr (not connected)

Questions: does this setup get its rpm signal from the crank sensor or does it rely on the cam sensor? or does it need both signals?
    Battery voltage stays around 12.4-12.6v with key on but has been dropping to 10.6v during cranking, is that too low and causing issues with the sensors reading?

i did set VATS to none and performed a write entire. Attached is the current file and recent log when i was cranking it over the other day.

ls swap stock file security and 02 dlete.hpt22-03-20 12-43-00.hpl
    97 Bmw 318is - 5.3l LM7 cam, headers, domed pistons ,11.1 compression

screenshot.26-03-2022 19.37.38.png

You have good ~12v at CKP pin C?

Good ground at pin B?

If you put a jumper wire in C and another wire in A, and quickly tap them together, does the scanner RPM PID show some sort of activity?

Plug in the sensor you removed (or remove the one already installed, just trying to save time). Monitor scanner RPM while passing something ferrous (screwdriver) back and forth across the face of the sensor. Get anything?

Senior Tuner
    Scanner rpm is from crank sensor. PCM tach output is from cam sensor.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    screenshot.26-03-2022 19.37.38.png

You have good ~12v at CKP pin C?

Good ground at pin B?

If you put a jumper wire in C and another wire in A, and quickly tap them together, does the scanner RPM PID show some sort of activity?

Plug in the sensor you removed (or remove the one already installed, just trying to save time). Monitor scanner RPM while passing something ferrous (screwdriver) back and forth across the face of the sensor. Get anything?
    Thank you

No 12v at C , good ground at B

Checked for 12v on pin 2 at the ecm and didn't have anything . I disconnected that lead at the ecm and manually applied 12v and the car starts up now . Is there an input I overlooked that supplies voltage here? Or possibly a bad ecm?

Quote Originally Posted by mccarthy69 View Post
    verified all grounds to the ecm are connected and good
    all 12v constant to ecm is present at all times
    all switched 12v to ecm is present in run and also while cranking
    How did you check these? What pinout/diagrams are you referencing to make sure it's all correct?

Tuner in Training
    01 lm7 silverado delphi ho2 engine 1.pdf
    01 lm7 silverado delphi ho2 engine 5.pdf

I have Mitchell diagrams I got through identifix ill try to attach them here
    it shows hot at all times pin 20 and pin 57
    hot in run/start pin 19
    pin 1 and pin 40 ground(same for both connectors)

The pinouts for the crank sensor match up to the diagram you attached

I used a multimeter to check the voltage, had someone crank the engine to verify it wasn't dropping out during cranking

Hot in run/start: 19 and 75

And, they come from different fuses, so power at one isn't affecting chances of there being power at the other.

Tuner in Training
    I double check in the morning , thanks

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Hot in run/start: 19 and 75

And, they come from different fuses, so power at one isn't affecting chances of there being power at the other.

Checked today both are getting battery voltage in run/start

Tuner in Training
    Going to try and bring this thread back if not ill try to repost it. Here goes
    Engine – 5.3l v8 gen 3
    Trans – t56
    Car – 97 bmw 3 series
    Ecm – 411
    Cable throttle
    Issue – crank no start – no rpm signal – crankshaft sensor not getting 12v reference
    *CAR USED TO RUN - car started and ran without issue until I moved it from one house to another, drove on the trailer and drove off, has not wanted to start since*
    Basic checks – per my wiring diagrams:
    Blue 20 and 57 B+ hot at all times – confirmed
    Blue 19 and 75 B+ ignition run/start – confirmed
    Blue 1 and 40 ground – confirmed
    Red 1 and 40 ground – confirmed
    All 3 wires to crankshaft sensor ohm out fine
    I do not get 12v at blue pin 2 in run or start (crank sensor 12v reference)
    I’ve double and triple checks these readings with an assistant to turn to crank to verify I’m not dropping voltage while cranking.
    If I disconnect blue pin 2 at the pcm (still connected to crank sensor) and manually apply 12v to it the car will start and run.
    Tune was write entire after Vats disable – since the car will sit and idle with the above test I think that shows proof that vats is not enabled.
    Tried another pcm – no change
    I used a snapon multimeter to perform the electrical checks, I was a tech for 10 years I know my way around electrical issues but I’m at a loss here. I feel like I may be overlooking something or could be an issue in programming.