Thread: AFM Parameter ID

Potential Tuner

AFM Parameter ID

Hey guys - I have some AFM related tuning questions that I'm having a hard time getting detailed information on.

Does AFM have a single Parameter ID that can be used to turn it on/off permanently? Or is the only way to alter when AFM is active by altering all of the parameters and conditions that cause it to turn on in the first place? (if this makes sense). I understand with HP Tuners there is a simple disable button for AFM, but curious if that works by altering the conditions under which AFM turns on, or if there is a single PID that can control it.

How does something like the Range Technology disabler work without flashing the ECU?

Sorry for the beginner questions, I'm just getting started with tuning and having a hard time finding answers to these questions online.

I'm not sure how the range does it, never looked into that.

But say in HP Tuners, there are several different values that could be changed other than the master switch to make it not work. Like changing the MPH settings, changing the RPM window that it can operate, disabling it by gear and things like that.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

However they are doing it has to be down to some kind of message sent over CAN. What that message is, I guess you'd have to record and decode the datastream and compare a DOD activation event without the disabler-thing compared with the same conditions where the disabler-thing was in place and see what is getting added. Beyond the abilities of anything in my toolbox for sure.

The AFM-equpped platforms have a separate MAP sensor (they call it a 'vacuum sensor') in the brake booster that isn't used for anything other than AFM enable/disable checks. Messin' with that one sensor's data would do it and not affect any other part of the ECM operation. And that's the only one that you could mess with and not make other unwanted stuff happen. But still, it's a regular 3-wire 0-5v type sensor wired direct to the ECM and not itself talking on the bus, so it would still have to be something injected at the DLC.

screenshot.14-03-2022 19.22.54.png