Thread: 2010 sierra 6.2 btr stage 2 truck cam stalling issues

Potential Tuner

2010 sierra 6.2 btr stage 2 truck cam stalling issues

park to d/r-stall(intermittent)
    deceleration-stall(intermittent)
    stab throttle-stall (intermittent)

Had the truck tuned by a very popular tuner, has 26-28 stall converter btr stage 2 truck cam some slight head porting and headers(no cats) vvt delete

Truck likes to stall when slowing down for turns from normal driving
    also sometimes from park to reverse/drive
    also stalls from stabbing throttle in park while trying to come back to idle.

I bought HP Tuners to try and fix it myself. I am a mechanic by trade but tuning is a bit deeper. I see its pulling large amounts of fuel out at high rpm, possibly flooding? MAP or MAF issue? Read somewhere about possible throttle follower issue? I am also slightly concerned with the dramatic difference in fuel trim between bank 1 and bank 2 under load. No engine codes.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by novabobjr; 03-13-2022 at 06:01 PM.

Tuning Addict
    You need to post the tune - just looking at the log your fueling wasn't tuned in worth a flip. You might also want to check plugs and wires on bank 2 - looks like it's misfiring (bank 2's fueling is close with no load, but the second you put a little load on the engine bank 2's fuel trims go substantially different). Other things to cause this issue are things that cause misfires - valvetrain, injectors and so on, but also ignition timing in the tune and injection timing. If this tuner is supposed to be good - looks like he would have seen some of this or tried to dial things in?
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Potential Tuner

current tune

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    You need to post the tune - just looking at the log your fueling wasn't tuned in worth a flip. You might also want to check plugs and wires on bank 2 - looks like it's misfiring (bank 2's fueling is close with no load, but the second you put a little load on the engine bank 2's fuel trims go substantially different). Other things to cause this issue are things that cause misfires - valvetrain, injectors and so on, but also ignition timing in the tune and injection timing. If this tuner is supposed to be good - looks like he would have seen some of this or tried to dial things in?
    212/218 .553"/.553" 111 LSA cam specs

Runs fine other than the stalling, heads were gone through new lifters, stainless exhaust valves, springs. At idle it is extremely choppy. If I obdII my Modis Scan-tool and open misfire monitor i have zero misfires. I thought the same thing. I've never tuned anything but these MAF g/s numbers seem high to me from what I'm used to.
    Last edited by novabobjr; 03-13-2022 at 09:32 PM.

Tuning Addict
    Didn't mess with fueling other than your VVE table - didn't look like your vve was dialed in at all, which will effect the issue your having. I also made quite a few changes to your idle settings and some to timing as some of the settings your tuner put in were questionable at best - should take care of the majority of your problem... HPT apparently isn't allowing you to kill misfire codes anymore, so couldn't see if they've been turned off or not. I still think you have a bank 2 problem you might want to look into a little deeper. Since all of the head work was done, has a cylinder leakdown been performed and were pushrods measured?
    Last edited by GHuggins; 03-13-2022 at 10:21 PM.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for your time, I'll let you know! Stock pushrods were inspected and re-installed. This cam calls for factory length pushrods according to BTR. No on the Leakdown test as I thought it wasn't misfiring(based on scantool data). I will Look into that also. I put the cam kit in initially because bank 2 had a dropped valve seat on cylinder 4 and the heads needed removed anyways. I think it was tuned before I purchased and they turned off MiL. The engine was running extremely lean. There was no surface damage to piston when I rebuilt the top end.

Post O2 Test & Catalyst Test are still enabled, but everything else in the tune says those components are no longer present. These are settings that have been recently removed from the software; I can see them because I'm still on an old version.

Potential Tuner
    @blindsquirrel So you're saying I should disable those? The truck idles much better now, no stalling. Some slight popping on heavy accel but i'll check into that.

Yes. It will still do some weird shit to the mixture under certain conditions for those two tests, even if the DTCs for the regular diagnostics are disabled.

Those tests can cause issues during tuning (bad data) even if the plan is to keep cats & downstream O2s intact afterwards. If they're removed you for sure don't want it trying to run those tests ever again.

Potential Tuner
    Alright I'll do that and see what happens. Wish I knew what you guys did would make this much easier. If I can find it lol
    Last edited by novabobjr; 03-14-2022 at 07:07 PM.

Tuning Addict
    This one has cat test disabled - Thanks Again blindsquirrel

To see what all was changed - open your original file then open the compare file - everything changed will be different color.

~Greg Huggins~

Potential Tuner
    Is that one different than the last one you sent me, or is that the last one you sent me? I don't see any differences between that one and the one I compared to last night? VCM doesn't show me anything in engine diag on your sheet, unsure if that's where you made changes. Literally a blank sheet.
    Last edited by novabobjr; 03-14-2022 at 08:43 PM.

The stuff he changed isn't visible in the latest version of the editor.

Potential Tuner
    well that is unfortunate haha

Potential Tuner
    Screenshot (1).png

what version of VCM is that? I wonder if I can get an earlier version somewhere
    Last edited by novabobjr; 03-15-2022 at 10:07 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Where can I find that version?

The folder on your hard drive where you archive old software versions, after giving them proper filenames so you can differentiate one 'VCM Suite.msi' from another 'VCM Suite.msi'?