Thread: HOW TO ADD DOD - AFM to L92

Tuner in Training

Lightbulb HOW TO ADD DOD - AFM to L92

Dear all, I know the pitfalls of DOD AND AFM - what all involved to adding it to a vehicle that never had it

1) CAM
    2) lifters
    3) solenoid valley cover
    4) gaskets
    5) couple wires from solenoid valley cover to ECU/M
    6) Tune file to turn it back on

thoughts ? thanks

Also, high volume oil pump and pressure relief valve to limit oil pressure to ~55 PSI, or else the lifters can fail to deactivate. Dumb idea. Not because DOD is dumb in itself, but because of the work involved versus the potential benefits.

Tuner in Training
    Yea - my biggest concern IS the oil pressure problem with these motors and their ability to activate fully without dragging the latches on the walls of the lifter internal to the lifter due to low oil pressure - especially those with DOD and VVT - the VVT actuator creates a huge oil leak in the motor when it is actuated - and they line hone the cam bearings and go with crazy tight bearing clearances in these motors to maintain oil pressure ..I did a test when clearancing main bearing in a warm room VS a cold room and the clearance opened up like .001 from cold to warm. Most people kill the cam bearings with a driver tool because of the tight interference fit, and the machinist will use a bearing knife to clean and then hit it with dry moly spray to hide his sin, thus making that bearing a gusher.

Tuning Addict
    Don't forget oil ports in the block - you would really just benefit more by getting an engine/ecm already equipped from junkyard then either having new bearings and so forth installed and go from there or just not worry and do things in the tune to get better mpg if that's all your after... Re-gearing the vehicle would be cheaper and more beneficial...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Before I disabled it in my truck, I just found it completely useless. It worked great if the road was downhill but it would barely maintain speed on flat level ground in V4 mode... add any throttle to keep from slowing down and it'd immediately switch back to V8 mode. Maybe it could have been tuned to overcome that but with it being so annoyingly useless combined with the mechanical shortcomings, it was something I just could not justify keeping. It did nothing. Another maybe, maybe it would be more effective in a 6.2, but in a 5.3 it's just dumb and annoying.