Thread: Not really tuning related BUT...

Not really tuning related BUT...

So I spun a rod bearing on my lq4. I'm currently rebuilding the lmg that originally came out of my truck to put back in. My dilemma is which heads to use. I'm using stock crank and pistons from the lmg, but have 3 sets of heads, 317,243,and 706s. I like the 243s on the 6l ( which is going to get lq9 pistons and if budget permits a stroker crank), which I wanna put into an 01 1500 I picked up to gut and make a mud race truck out of. Also walked into 2 4l80e trans (one with 130k and a reman with just over 20k on it). So both trucks will get a 4l80e ( race truck I'm gonna go with manual shift option) . Also rite now the 243s have pac 1218s and a sloppy stage 2 cam I can use. I really want to upgrade the cam in the 6l so the intent was to use the ss3 in the 5.3.
    I think I'm gonna keep the lmg in my DD , so I need sum towability. So question is, which head to put on the lmg and is the ss2 cam worth a fahq down low in a 5.3? The 6l didn't seem to lose any down low with the cam and 243s.
    Basically question is , which head to use with lmg rebuild, what cam to use also. I can spend a couple hundred on a cam if I need to since I've already ordered everything else for the trans swap and all the bearings,rings, and gaskets for the lmg.
    I appreciate the help guys, I REALLY like the nasty idle but I'd rather have better down low torque if I can do it affordable. Also, I'll be using the gen 4 intake, and the gen 4 flex fuel injectors, 1 7/8 primary to 3" long tubes, 3" duals with x pipe and flow master 10 knock offs out the back. Will be running 34x10.50r20s with 3.73s. I have smaller tires but they are snows and will be taken off in a month or so. I will be regearing at some point soon to 4.56s in a few months.

Senior Tuner
    I would stay away from the 317 heads on the LMG engine. The 706's will work nicely. I would recommend a small cam for low end torque on that application. A mild 206/212 on a 110 or 112LS will make good torque and work well in that application.

The 317s were originally off my lq4, I saved em bc this 5.3 was supposed to get built for FI but that's not happening rite now. I know they would drop compression WAY low compared to either of the 706 and 243s. Was just basically saying what I had available.
    What lift size cam should I be looking for? See alot of low lift cams, but they need upgraded springs and if I already have to do springs shouldn't I just got to a .600 lift cam (or close to it)?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ehall8702 View Post
    The 317s were originally off my lq4, I saved em bc this 5.3 was supposed to get built for FI but that's not happening rite now. I know they would drop compression WAY low compared to either of the 706 and 243s. Was just basically saying what I had available.
    What lift size cam should I be looking for? See alot of low lift cams, but they need upgraded springs and if I already have to do springs shouldn't I just got to a .600 lift cam (or close to it)?
    Most of the "torque" cams or "Stage 1" cams are NSR cams, so no need for upgraded springs.
    Check out this one on a 110LS.

https://www.lsxceleration.com/lsxcel...6-212-515-522/

I was looking at that cam earlier. As far as I've read a 212/218 would be better but u know how that goes, what some other guy says is his opinion lol. As for springs, I'm prolly gonna just upgrade anyways, the donor motor has 260k on it. I'll be doing a valve job and some porting while I have em off anyways might as well put new springs and trunion upgrade in it...it's either use other topend or just get all new for the 706s, don't really have alot of cash left over after all the trans swap parts and complete 5.3 rebuild stuff, don't like half assing it but cam and heads are easy enuff in vehicle later too, especially with head studs, I don't use tty bolts, real PITA to do in a vehicle lol.

Almost considering this just bc it's cheap enuff and has everything there, I can't justify double that for a tsp or btr setup.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LS-Truck-Ca...-127632-2357-0

So after thinking this whole thing through, I will be using the ss2 cam for now, but will be buying new lifters, springs, pushrods, and rollover rockers with trunions. The cam will work for now as I want to rebuild the 6l and upgrade the cam in that, don't need another cam sitting around, rather use cash to buy other important things. I can recam later if I decide to keep the 5.3 in my truck. In all reality if the crank isn't wiped on the 6l it may just get new bearings thrown at it and back to service. I haven't mad emy mind up fully yet, but have to have an engine in my truck asap, poor lil 78cj5 is COLD in this weather lol