Thread: Please walk me through W/B MAF tuning

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by foff667
    this is about as good as it gets for step by step instructions right now http://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_edi...to_user_sd.htm if you have a more specific question concerning it let me know & I'll try to explain it better. MAF tuning after your done VE tuning is pretty simple really its just a matter of enabling the maf & seeing how much your afr has changed since your VE is dialed in, dial in the maf in a near identical fashion as the ve table(using the copy-paste special-multiply by xx method)...once thats dialed in within a 2% or so just set it the way you want, closed loop maf or open loop maf, etc and your done at that point.
    Where do you locate the "Air Fuel Ratio Commanded Hi Resolution" PID? I only see the Lo Resolution PID under Fuel
    2005 Pontiac GTO LS2

MY FQUICK - http://www.fquick.com/cyclone_chris

Mods:
    K&N Intake | 18" Staggered TSW Thruxton Setup | Toyo T1-R Tires | Billet Products Short Shifter | Kooks 1-3/4" LT Catted headers | NGK TR55 | Ported Stock Intake Manifold | Corsa Sport Exhaust | Polished T/B | FlowTech Streetsweeper V2 Cam | SLP UD Pulley | 160 Thermostat | LS7 Clutch | 39# Ford Blue Giant Injectors | Scorpion Roller Rockers |

445 RWHP/413 RWTQ

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    some cals use high, some low...ls1's use high, all ls2, ls7, some i4, i5, i6 use low...in the end your getting the same info, just a different name by gm.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    From Help File

Load the MAF - AFR Error.hst histogram.
    Make sure you log MAF in Hz in the table and go for a drive.
    A problem I have is when I load the MAF - AFR Error it says Table Unsupportedin the histogram config options.

Is it because the LS2 motors have a Hi and Lo MAF Freq table? If so a note in the help file would be awesome.

These are the MAF Tables I have available

2005 Pontiac GTO LS2

Mods:
    K&N Intake | 18" Staggered TSW Thruxton Setup | Toyo T1-R Tires | Billet Products Short Shifter | Kooks 1-3/4" LT Catted headers | NGK TR55 | Ported Stock Intake Manifold | Corsa Sport Exhaust | Polished T/B | FlowTech Streetsweeper V2 Cam | SLP UD Pulley | 160 Thermostat | LS7 Clutch | 39# Ford Blue Giant Injectors | Scorpion Roller Rockers |

445 RWHP/413 RWTQ

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    yes, different applications call for different tables...use the maf hi & low & you'll be fine.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    http://www.thetuningdoctor.com/HPTun...ustomHisto.swf

heres a flash demo i made...it gives I5 colorado's as an example since they have like 5 ve tables many of the default histos dont work.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Chris
    Where do you locate the "Air Fuel Ratio Commanded Hi Resolution" PID? I only see the Lo Resolution PID under Fuel
    LS2 GTO's have only low res

Advanced Tuner
    It would be awesome if we had more LS2 E40 How to guides or Demos on tuning. Are there any??
    2005 Pontiac GTO LS2

Mods:

445 RWHP/413 RWTQ

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    make some & either submit them to support or me & I'll make sure they either get stickied or in the help file.

Fact is im not big into tuning LS2's so its all user submitted.

Use this config file, just insert your brand of wideband in place of my FJO in the table display.The histograms are set up for the low & high maf tables. Also insert Dynamic Cylinder Air (g/sec) in the table display. (I had the scanner last hooked up to a 24 bite car and ran out of room)

Russ Kemp

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by foff667
    make some & either submit them to support or me & I'll make sure they either get stickied or in the help file.

Fact is im not big into tuning LS2's so its all user submitted.
    If I was a pro at this I would. Unfortunatley , I'm still learning.
    2005 Pontiac GTO LS2

Mods:

445 RWHP/413 RWTQ

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K
    Use this config file, just insert your brand of wideband in place of my FJO in the table display.The histograms are set up for the low & high maf tables. Also insert Dynamic Cylinder Air (g/sec) in the table display. (I had the scanner last hooked up to a 24 bite car and ran out of room)

Russ Kemp
    Russ, I really appreciate it. I'll have to buy you a beer if I ever met you.
    2005 Pontiac GTO LS2

Mods:

445 RWHP/413 RWTQ

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Neither am I, I learn something new everyday in reality...what exactly are you looking for though? Maybe I can dig up some stuff & sticky it in the meantime.

Advanced Tuner
    Well, I have seen the SD Tuning Help file, which is outstanding, but I was kinda confused, when certain tables or charts were not available on the LS2.

I kinda call myself a perfectionist when it comes to adustments and such. I guess I can blame the Air Force for this... don't know how many times they hammered it into our heads that we constinantly needed nominal values for our F-15 Radar Systems.

What I'm trying to figure out now is, Should I first do the Maf tables, or VE tables first? With Russ's Config file, what do I look at, LTFT or AFR Error %? How do I apply the changed to the Hi / Lo MAF tables to get nominal Values? Once the values are applied, how do I confirm them? What are the max/min acceptable %error?

I guess these are the questions of a newb like myself. I really hate asking these questions cause I'm sure most of you guys have heard them over and over, and after a while it becomes really annoying.

Thanks for the help.

Chris
    2005 Pontiac GTO LS2

Mods:

445 RWHP/413 RWTQ

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K
    I always leave the VE table stock when doing a Maf tune. Make sure that your in open loop and reset the fuel trims. Set the commanded PE to 1.13 (13.0 afr), and rescale the Maf using the Maf histogram AFR Error%. Slow the car down to 1000 rpm in 3rd gear, then go WOT till your redline. Then copy & paste the error% to the Maf table. For any maf cells that were skipped over, average the values & enter them into those cells.

Russ Kemp
    A while back I remember seeing the attached spreadsheet. I'm assuming this would be a different procedure then what you mentioned above right? Is this spreadsheet even necessary or better than your method?

Thanks
    2005 Pontiac GTO LS2

Mods:

445 RWHP/413 RWTQ