Thread: Knock Retard vs Total Knock Retard

Knock Retard vs Total Knock Retard

I am new to HPT and tuning, so this is probably basic...

I am dealing with an E38 ECM and trying to understand the different between these two PIDs. Which one should I look at? [Total KR] seems to always be active at part throttle, pulling around 1-2.5?; where as [KR] is showing a happy 0.00?. However, at WOT the [Total KR] goes down to 0?.

As a test, I filled up with 93 octane (normally I have 91 available to me) and I removed about 2? in the part throttle areas for the high octane table and didn't see any change in the logs. I had worked remotely with two previous remote tuners and they seems to use [KR] in their logs.

The only thing I can think of is that [Total KR] is including Cat Lightoff and Piston Slap retard...I have added those to the logs and will see if that shows a correlation.

It is almost certainly burst knock, log the burst knock PID, it preemptively pulls timing during transient throttle to avoid knock during the lean spike. It is not actual knock, you can disable the burst knock functionality if you want or just use KR.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTuner View Post
    It is almost certainly burst knock, log the burst knock PID, it preemptively pulls timing during transient throttle to avoid knock during the lean spike. It is not actual knock, you can disable the burst knock functionality if you want or just use KR.
    I did log Burst Knock and that is showing 0. Also, Cat Lightoff and Piston Slap are not showing anything.

In looking at this help file (https://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_ed...ark_retard.htm) I wonder if it is from the Knock Learn Factor. I will add that in to see.