Thread: Engine starts/runs for 3 secs, then dies. New engine, new parts, 102mm TB, Fic 1650s

Engine starts/runs for 3 secs, then dies. New engine, new parts, 102mm TB, Fic 1650s

I recently installed a built 370, Aeromotive Fuel System, Fic 1650 injectors, and Motion Raceworks throttle body, Drive by Cable. Also using the the stock throttle body position sensor and stock iac. My truck is an 02 Silverado but running a P59. I ran this computer a full race season no problems 3 years ago. I uploaded the Fic injector data and see that their data is based off 58 psi. My regulator from what I can get with the short run time is about 43.5. Im sure theres some things that need to be adjusted for the throttle body, but im unable to get it to stay running for more than 3 secs or so. It fires no problem and then kills over.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jon1440 View Post
    I recently installed a built 370, Aeromotive Fuel System, Fic 1650 injectors, and Motion Raceworks throttle body, Drive by Cable. Also using the the stock throttle body position sensor and stock iac. My truck is an 02 Silverado but running a P59. I ran this computer a full race season no problems 3 years ago. I uploaded the Fic injector data and see that their data is based off 58 psi. My regulator from what I can get with the short run time is about 43.5. Im sure theres some things that need to be adjusted for the throttle body, but im unable to get it to stay running for more than 3 secs or so. It fires no problem and then kills over.
    Give this a try. I adjusted it for the lower fuel pressure and added a starting value for the MAF in order to help it fail the MAF and quickly go to SD mode.

P59 370 1650 FIC etc KW MOD.hpt

Haven’t tried the adjustments you provided yet. I did add 20% to the VE and now Its idleing and running. Strange I used the same tune that worked on 80lb injectors. I went ahead and moved fuel pressure to 58 and then had to add the 20% on top to get it to idle. Iac needs some adjustment because it does have a hanging idle.

Also I did a coolant overflow tank delete. I added a filler neck in the upper rad hose. Any issue with this? I had to cap off a couple ports on the radiator and most likely will need a small tank for the overflow on the filler neck

Why in the name of whatever would you get rid of a pressurized jug system in favor of a dumb ancient overflow system?

The stock pressurized jug will not fit physically with the added parts. Also looking for quality replies not something that leans towards smart assery. I spend more time than I have searching threads for information and end up reading about a couple guys having a pissing match. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    Give this a try. I adjusted it for the lower fuel pressure and added a starting value for the MAF in order to help it fail the MAF and quickly go to SD mode.

P59 370 1650 FIC etc KW MOD.hpt
    Currently Im able to get the engine to start up fine and idle, but now experiencing a hanging idle. While scanning I used the special functions to turn on the Idle Air Control function and zeroed it out. Instantly took away the hanging idle. So I'm assuming this has to do with my IAC being to far open. In my tune I did lower the base running airflow for idle P/N before starting it. It didn't seem to have much change from previous starts. I assume I'm in the right area for the hanging idle. Also prior to the very first start up I did do a TPS relearn and set up my throttle to be 2% open. My scanner shows its 4%. Not sure what changed there.

iac scan.hpl
    Last edited by jon1440; 03-04-2022 at 10:06 AM.