Thread: High LTFTs after tuning MAF and VE

Tuner in Training

High LTFTs after tuning MAF and VE

2006 Silverado 2500 6.0
    112/118 112LSA TSP Cam .550 Springs
    Only additional mod is a muffler delete.
    Almost complete top end rebuild, minus rocker arms and injectors.

I tuned the MAF and VE tables yesterday and everything is within +/- 1% on MAF and +/-3% on VE. High RPMs are showing lean but I think that's from not being able to keep the RPMs and MAF freq high enough for good data. Wideband is reading rich at around 11.3-13 at WOT while log tables are showing lean in this area. I'm very confused and unsure what is good data or what is actually lean/rich.

The next issue is now with everything enabled, (cot, dfco, VE, MAF, etc.), I am still showing LTFTs around 10 in some areas and I've tried to adjust tables to account for that but it isn't changing much.

Finally, I seem to be getting kr at different areas but it isn't consistent. I was getting 4-8* of retard last night at 120map through 28-3600 rpm. I pulled that much timing out and it seemed to not retard in those areas anymore but I did not get to pull much log data from a 20 minute drive to work and I won't be able to log anymore until Wednesday when I leave work. I'm running 91 pump and have been getting gas from multiple stations on an empty tank to eliminate the potential of bad fuel.

Also showing random misfires across most injectors at random points. New coils, plugs with less than 200 miles on them
    Tl;Dr: MAF and VE tables are tuned, WOT shows lean in these tables while WB shows rich. LTFTs are high even when tables are showing rich to lean within 1-3%. Finally, getting KR at seemingly random points. Not always WOT and not always partial. I'm stuck. Could the knock sensors be detecting the loud exhaust? Everything is tight and gaskets are new.

Also, should I desensitize the knock sensors slightly if this isn't some actual issue?

Yes some areas are reading lean in the 3k-4k range and that's just tip out. I was attempting to tune WOT at the time and under normal circumstances they are also within 1% +/-

Also yes, have not began fine tuning the idle yet so it is a little lean in some areas but not by much.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by itskeevenistic; 02-27-2022 at 12:05 PM.

You need to log MPH, TPS, and B1/B2 O2 mV.

Why are you at 150% injector duty cycle? Are you running 15 PSI fuel pressure or something?

Over 1.00 grams/sec cylinder airmass, and 500 lb-ft is simply not plausible for a stock engine with a mild cam. You need to find out what's wrong with your data collection/correction and start over with a stock file.

Tuner in Training
    Unfortunately I thought I was logging MPH and only realized later I was not. Added all of those logs of course, this morning afterwards so doesn't do much good right now. I've been considering going back to the stock tune but I wanted to see what I could learn from this and what would be correctable. I would hate to be 3 steps away from correction just to restart everything if that makes sense.

Am I running out of injector or what? Fuel pressures were good when I checked last, putting everything back together.

As for the airmass and torque, is that a reduction in torque management and what other tables?

You need to start over with a stock file and a good beginner-friendly Gen3-specific step-by-step guide, or hire someone to get it roughed in for you.

Tuner in Training
    Guess I'll start over. Whole point so far has been to not have to pay somebody else to do it for me. Thanks anyways

Senior Tuner
    Your MAF table seems very high. Tell us about the type of MAF and cold air system that you're running.

I would forget about the wideband for now until you get more comfortable and confident that you are able to make changes that make things better. Use the built in LTFT+STFT graph stuff, put it in MAF only and tune that, then fail the MAF and tune VE. Part throttle normal driving type stuff. Then you can look at your wideband again and see if it agrees with the O2s and trims. If it doesn't, you need to figure out why before you use WB data to adjust anything.

Tuner in Training
    Everything is stock. The end of the MAF is higher for when I was trying to adjust the tables reading lean in those areas, which I decided was just bad data.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by itskeevenistic View Post
    Everything is stock. The end of the MAF is higher for when I was trying to adjust the tables reading lean in those areas, which I decided was just bad data.
    Your stock MAF curve should be very close in this case.