Thread: Am I doing this right? Probably not..

Tuner in Training

Am I doing this right? Probably not..

Just need to know that I have the right idea for the tuning process on my LQ4, and I'm not looking for max performance, just reliable power.

I just did a cam swap, (212/218 112LSA), and I am going to start tuning once I get off work.

I've been looking everywhere for a "step by step" or at least a guideline that is kind of something like, "If you have *this* or did *this* then you will start by tuning *this*.

At that, even just something that says, "here is what order you should tune things in, and somethings can be done before or after the next or previous step"

So if I have the process correct, I added some RPM to help it idle, gave it a couple degrees in the idle RPMs, disabled COT and DFCO. About to flash and edit this post if I missed something or messed something up.
    From here I would tune MAF and then VE correct?
    After those are dialed in I can finish the idle tuning right?
    And what about adding timing after I add the timing I took out for those tuning processes?
    Basically I've got;
    Get it idling
    MAF Tuning
    VE Tuning
    Idle Tuning
    Profit?

I already have a wideband installed so I can log that info and not seriously destroy something due to not knowing AFR. Outside of that its fair game.

I'm just looking for guidance, I've been scouring these forums for weeks now, reading, watching, re-reading, etc.

Here's the first startup tune for reference.

Anyways, I'm lost, I haven't found the answers that I'm looking for, or maybe I'm not understanding the ones I've found. Any help is appreciated and thank you for at least reading.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by itskeevenistic View Post
    Just need to know that I have the right idea for the tuning process on my LQ4, and I'm not looking for max performance, just reliable power.

I just did a cam swap, (212/218 112LSA), and I am going to start tuning once I get off work.

I've been looking everywhere for a "step by step" or at least a guideline that is kind of something like, "If you have *this* or did *this* then you will start by tuning *this*.

At that, even just something that says, "here is what order you should tune things in, and somethings can be done before or after the next or previous step"

So if I have the process correct, I added some RPM to help it idle, gave it a couple degrees in the idle RPMs, disabled COT and DFCO. About to flash and edit this post if I missed something or messed something up.
    From here I would tune MAF and then VE correct? That's correct. If you still have the stock MAF and airbox, then your MAF will be close. You'll find that you'll have to remove fuel from the VE table at idle/low rpm, and add at upper rpm.
    After those are dialed in I can finish the idle tuning right? Yes. Don't forget to adjust the min airflow table. It'll likely have to be increased by at least 20% in the higher temp areas.
    And what about adding timing after I add the timing I took out for those tuning processes? I don't remove timing from the timing tables for tuning. I have found it to be more accurate to set the timing tables to something similar that I've already tuned. You'll be at a disadvantage here, but here's what I typically start with on a combo like yours. Around 20 degrees at idle will be close. At WOT, peak torque will be around 19-20 degrees at WOT (around 4000-4800) and 22-23 at upper rpm (4900-up). This will work nicely with 91 octane fuel. You can adjust a couple degrees up or down for whatever octane fuel that you run.
    Basically I've got;
    Get it idling
    MAF Tuning
    VE Tuning
    Idle Tuning
    Profit?

I already have a wideband installed so I can log that info and not seriously destroy something due to not knowing AFR. Outside of that its fair game.

I'm just looking for guidance, I've been scouring these forums for weeks now, reading, watching, re-reading, etc.

Here's the first startup tune for reference.

Anyways, I'm lost, I haven't found the answers that I'm looking for, or maybe I'm not understanding the ones I've found. Any help is appreciated and thank you for at least reading.
    Here are a few tips that will really help your combo.
    The PE Mode on it has a very long delay...that's great for emissions, but not good for best performance. 0 the delay timer, and lower the TPS threshold and rpm threshold.
    You have a 4L80E transmission. 0 the transmission torque management. You can click on the Engine TM tab and zero the Spark Retard vs TM tab completely. I'd also add some line pressure to the transmission Normal and Performance tables to help the transmission shifting and clutch clamping force.
    Increase the Engine Abuse Mode RPM to 7000.
    Max out the ETC TPS limit table to 100 all across the table.
    Max out the ETC injector Disable to 255.
    Increase the Maximum Torque vs RPM to 639 across the board. Increase the Max Torque value to 639.

These changes will make a big difference in performance.
    Last edited by kevin87turbot; 02-22-2022 at 09:15 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    Here are a few tips that will really help your combo.
    The PE Mode on it has a very long delay...that's great for emissions, but not good for best performance. 0 the delay timer, and lower the TPS threshold and rpm threshold.
    You have a 4L80E transmission. 0 the transmission torque management. You can click on the Engine TM tab and zero the Spark Retard vs TM tab completely. I'd also add some line pressure to the transmission Normal and Performance tables to help the transmission shifting and clutch clamping force.
    Increase the Engine Abuse Mode RPM to 7000.
    Max out the ETC TPS limit table to 100 all across the table.
    Max out the ETC injector Disable to 255.
    Increase the Maximum Torque vs RPM to 639 across the board. Increase the Max Torque value to 639.
    Are those all parameters that should be changed before tuning the MAF and VE?

Are there any additional areas that I should look at tuning after MAF, VE, and idle are dialed in?

You are amazing, this is what I was looking for. Thank you.

Tuner in Training
    Everything you said to do makes sense, I understand what each change does and why I changed it, but here is the adjusted file from your suggestions, hopefully you can take a quick look and let me know if I did what you were explaining? I would appreciate it, thank you.
    I added the changelog so you don't have to hunt down everything.
    SuggestedSecondTune.hpt
    secondtunechangelog.txt

Senior Tuner
    I could list dozens of things that I would change, but you're off to a good start.
    Here are a few tips that will help...
    Don't forget to increase the minimum airflow table.
    You should be able to target a warm idle speed of 700-725 rpm with that cam.
    I would lower the min torque threshold for PE Enable and lower the TPS threshold for PE some more on both hot and cold tables.
    Copy the Performance Upshift Pressure table to the Normal Upshift Pressure table.
    You can disable the transmission Abuse mode with this combo.

Tuner in Training
    Awesome, I appreciate your help. Makes me much more confident in what I'm doing. Now the only thing is, should I do all of these changes before tuning the MAF, etc.? Or does it not matter

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by itskeevenistic View Post
    Awesome, I appreciate your help. Makes me much more confident in what I'm doing. Now the only thing is, should I do all of these changes before tuning the MAF, etc.? Or does it not matter
    Yes you should.